iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value of Cherry and Walnut logs

Started by Michigander, April 05, 2004, 04:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigander

We are just starting out with harvesting some of our hardwoods at our farm.  So far we have cut cherry and walnut about 3500 and 3000bf respectively.  I have been put in charge of the marketing aspect of things and am trying to find out the ballpark value of these logs so we don't get ripped off.  The logs are laying out in the field and have not been bucked yet in case someone was interested in some long lengths.   Any ideas as to the best way to market these logs are welcome.  Thanks

Ron Scott

If you don't have a "close" idea of what your logs or skidded tree lengths are worth at the landing, you should get your local conservation district forester, a professional consulting forester or an "impartial" mill scaler to appraise them for you to establish a minimum value.

You might want to put them out on bids to interested log buyers depending upon if you have a number and market value that is worthwhile.

~Ron

Ron Wenrich

There's a lot of variables in buying logs, so if you're selling them, you have to know those variables.

Highest prices are paid for veneer.  These logs must be at least 14" diameter inside bark on the small end (where all logs are measured).  There can't be any defect.  In some areas, cherry has gum streak.  That will kill veneer.

The next grade is a high quality sawlog.  Usually at a minimum of 14".  It is allowed just a little more defect than the veneer.

As the amount of defect goes up, the value goes down.  Placement of defect on the log can also mean the difference in grade.  Small logs usually have lower value, no matter how nice.

6500 bf doesn't sound like enough to market to several markets.  Some guys will come out for a trailerload or two, especially if it is down and laying.  

I echo Ron's advice of checking with a consultant, several mills or the extension agent.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Hi Michigander:

First seek out your local markets, call mills for their specs and prices. And if you have a good pile of logs, at least 5000 thousand feet for starters, you may be able to have a buyer take a look on-site. Or as Ron suggests someone impartial to give an unbiased assessment of scale and value. In my area the woodlot owner groups have marketing boards to get the best value for its members. They send staff along with the buyers to scale, grade and arrange for trucking of your hardwood logs/veneer. As far as black cherry is concerned we have been getting $900-$1200 a thousand $CDN and Black Walnut must be double that. I do know the price of veneer has dropped some over the last year. For a while there were a few of these over-nighters popping up and driving the prices up, then they got stuck with a lot of stuff that wasn't up to standards. So, we see pricing coming down to earth now. But you'll find it depends on how badly they want your wood. Sometimes they are strict on specs when the yard is full and when its getting low they loosen the specs up a bit. But in the end, it all depends on your local circumstances and whatever the markets will stand.

I hope you get the best price for them logs, cause it takes a long time to grow'in. Once cut, ya can't stand'm back up.  ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tobacco Plug

You might do better by having the logs sawn into lumber and selling that.  No worries about trailerloads to entice the log buyers.  Just a thought. ;)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

mrelmertoots

On my veneer logs I just haul them to the veneer buyer who has a yard in Spencer Indiana. So far he has come up with more ft. than I have measured. The grade he comes up with is very good also and better than I expected. Even if the logs are small, straight and clear he will buy them for a desent price. If some of the logs are not veneer quality he buys them also. I just started selling to this yard this year and always before I had thought maybe if I hauled them to him he would screw me in the process. But this was talk from other veneer buyers from thru the grapevine. This yard will send a truck to get them even if you are in Michigan if you have a way to load them. They haul from all states around Indiana, so they must be paying as good or better as anyone else. If you are interested call 812/829/4108 ask for Joe or Steve.

Michigander

thanks for the info-- mrelmertoots-- I will give them a call.

SwampDonkey

mrelmertoots

Are they from Columbia Forest Products. I don't know the locations of their veneer mills except the one in Northern Maine. I've been through there mill is Presque Isle, Maine. A former co-worker of mine buys veneer for them in the maritimes.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mrelmertoots

The name of the company is Davison Hardwoods Inc. at Spencer, Indiana.

SwampDonkey

Is this them?

http://www.davidson-ind.com/index.htm

They were bought by Tembec in Quebec, Canada in 2001

{edit}  I later found this link
http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/extension/foresters/industrial/davis.htm

looks more like it :)

dewwood

If you are still looking to sell your logs, I know a buyer for Quality Hardwoods which is not very far from you.  If you want his name & number send me a message and I will return the information.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Deerlope

If the walnut logs are a good size then the tap root from the stump is worth quite a lot also . Gun maker want them for gun stocks, they will usually have someone come in with a backhoe and dig them out.
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

Michigander

If I dug out these stumps myself with our backhoe-- what are they worth?

oakiemac

Hey Michigander, do you still have cherry logs for sale? I might be interested, also red oak. What sizes and lengths?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Michigander

sold the cherry-- we do have red oak that we are going to cut.

Patty

deerlope, do you have the name of a buyer for those walnut tap roots and stumps?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Deerlope

Sorry I do not have any names for you. I was only quoting what I have been told. Usaually the stock maker want to dig them up their self. You might put a call into Remington or Winchester. They might be able to give you some more insite on whom to contact.
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

Thank You Sponsors!