iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work smarter not harder.....

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 14, 2013, 09:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

When we were working on my client's project, recently, we had to move some heavy 8x8 timbers from his pile delivered onto his driveway, to his garage workshop.

They were very green and we didn't want to hurt ourselves trying to carry them in. And we didn't have a timber cart on hand. I suggested we use his wheel barrow, but the mason was using it to move stone from the driveway to the project site.

So we had to come up with another solution.

We decided to use a roller and we created a track to roll the timbers on.

Here is a picture of the pile of timbers in the driveway, the track and rollers, and my client.

Here is the first section of track on two pony horses:

Here is the timber on the first roller:

Here is the timber half way into the workshop:

It will end up on this pair of horses:

We used this system to move many timbers in and out of the shop, so that we didn't hurt ourselves trying to carry them in, just the two of us.

Show us your "work smarter not harder" system....

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Although the "track" wasn't very wide, it worked as long as I steadied the timber and adjusted the roller as he pushed.

We used this many times over the several days I was there.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Two or three small dolly's with four swivel wheels are priceless tools to have when moving heavy (and not so heavy) objects around.
But did good with what you had available. Too bad you didn't have two 'tracks' available.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

frwinks

I use a similar method, conveyor rollers set up on top of sawhorses. 
We had to move several loads like this into our 600sqft basement during the cutting process ;D

Here's a shot of one of the last top plates, a 10"x12"x20' on it's way out

And here's how most of our frame got cut...one stick at a time.  In the door, on saw horse, and winched up and stacked on the right or the left, depending on the day of the week :D

4speed

Thanks for posting this, Jim. I've been saving for a sawmill for a while, but recently realized it will be long after the sawmill purchase that I would be able to afford support equipment for moving timbers. The topic about the carts was helpful also.

Thank You Sponsors!