iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

different size timbers

Started by Wade, September 25, 2004, 08:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade

Hey All,
 I have a question on the timber frame I'm building.
I am going to make 4 hammerbeam bents. The posts
are going to be 12"x12". I am then going to cut them to a gunstock design or something similar. I'm thinking the roof beams will be about 7"x12". Does this present a problem? Should I hold the roof beams flush with one side of the post? What about the other beams that make up the bracing (?) of the HB? There will be horizontal connecting beams between the posts. I Hope this is clear enough ???
Thanks Wade
If it's worth cutting down a tree for, it's worth doing right

Jim_Rogers

Wade:
I'm sorry no one has answered your questions since you posted it, some time ago.
The problem with asking such a specific question is, over the internet a certain situation isn't always clear, and to give a blank answer like: " yes 7x12's will be ok," or "no 7x12's will not be ok", could be 100% wrong, either answer.
Each timber frame design requires careful thought and considerations. Such as intended use, location, snow load, wind load, earth quake proofing, as well as structural capacities of the type of wood being used.
Everything has to be looked at, including enclosure systems, heating system, electrical system, erection system, joinery design. There are lots and lots of things that need to be addressed and understood by anyone who would be qualified to make such an answer.
And what if someone did give you an answer, would you trust it?
You've stated that you intend to cut the post to some Gunstock shape or something similar. Well which way will the extra wood of the Gunstock go? From gable to gable or in towards the center of each bent?
Should you hold the roof beams flush with the side of the post? Maybe, maybe not, it depends on all of the above mentioned things.

A complex frame design (4 hammer beam bents) will require some close examination and structual analysis and that wouldn't usually be done over the internet, especially not for free.
I hope you find answers to your questions and you make your frame a beautiful thing.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Wade

Thanks for the reply Jim.
 I guess I should have clarified it better.
I wasnt asking about the structural integrity of
the timber sizes. I was more curious as to how to
deal with a difference in size of rafter and post.
When I get my design worked out I plan on consulting a
structural engineer for proper timber sizes. I'm working on
a scale model right now, 1" per foot with the same woods I plan on using for the real thing. White oak posts and beams and walnut for all braces. I'm pretty excited about it. I've got about 25 w.o. logs 22' long sitting out in the yard waiting to be milled with 8 walnuts 24"x 12' also. I'll post some pictures of the model when I'm done. I've got lots of questions also! Thanks, Wade
If it's worth cutting down a tree for, it's worth doing right

Thank You Sponsors!