iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshop question

Started by DonE911, November 15, 2004, 04:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonE911

I know that I read some information on workshops here, but I can't find it again.( not the thread I needed anyway ). sorry about the repeat question.

I'm looking for a workshop to attend this comming spring.  I'd prefer one in the northern GA, southern NC area.  I will be moving into Union county GA this winter and would like something close to home if possible.

I've read alot of TF books already, but I'm looking forward to some hands on instruction.

JoeyLowe

Hey Don:

I believe that Goshen Timber Frames hosts seminars in NC every couple of months.  I'm not sure of any in Georgia.  Good Luck! :)
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

JimY

Don,
Cowee Mountain? also has a shop in Franklin, NC along with Goshen.  They have workshops too.  Contact Philip about this since I believe he has just finished their school.  Actually he might still be there right now.  Not really sure.  ;)
   I went to Goshen and it was fine.  A good value.  Very shop oriented but a good beginning.  Also, good people. :)
Jim

DonE911

Thanks for the info so far everyone.....  no need to stop now though.

ohsoloco

I wanted to do an apprenticeship at Goshen, but they didn't have room for me the month I could take off work.  Ended up at Cowee Mountain...even though I've never been to Goshen, I think I'd go there first  ::)  I still got some practical experience, but it wasn't what I expected.  

DonE911

ohsoloco,

not real clear on your statement there.....  you got some pratical information?  meaning it was okay, but value not equal to your time spent? To much of a commercial setting ??

ohsoloco

Don, it's not that Cowee is too commercial.  Quite the opposite...somewhat unprofessional in my opinion.  It was still a good experience, though.  I had never done any timber framing before going there, and I quickly gained the confidence to work with these big timbers (at first I just kept thinking that it wouldn't take much to screw up one of those big hunks of wood).  Grace was very nice, and eager to work with me as far as some of the "engineering" of builidings...by that I mean calculating lengths of different timbers, etc...

The guys in the shop were good at what they do, but they didn't speak English very well.  then again, I got together with a guy that I met at Cowee when he was in PA, and he said most of the Mexicans left for more steady work (I guess they were running out of frames to cut).  

Anyway, this was an apprenticeship, so it didn't cost me anything ('cept a registration fee), and they gave me a place to stay for three weeks  :)  Would I do it again: yes.  Would I go back: no.

ohsoloco

Lemme rephrase that last comment  ::)  If I could go back (in time?) and had the opportunity to be introduced to timber framing at Cowee I would, but there are no plans to go back  :D

One more thing I just remembered, Don.  I posted some pictures from Cowee Mountain last year.  My limited computer skills prevent me from making you a fancy link, but the thread is on page nine, and it's titled "What I did on my summer vacation."  

(Here is the link: Click here for "What I did on my Summer Vacation" story link.)

DonE911

I understand....  thanks alot for the information.   I remeber seeing those pic's before... ok, so I like looking at all the pics more than a few times...   now I'm gonna go look again.  

thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!