iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

That only works with fig leaves Lynn.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Crossroads

I think your good with only one peach tree. That's all I have and it bears fruit. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Jemclimber

Most peach trees are self fertile, but may do better with another close by.  If you got it from any big box store you'll be lucky that it's a peach tree much less the variety on the tag. 
When I first started growing fruit trees I bought about a 12-15 Honeycrisp apples trees from a box store.  One of them turned out to be a Honeycrisp. Since then, I only buy fruit trees bare root from nurseries, and haven't had any mislabeled trees. 
lt15

dchiapin

In your part of the country the Mulberry should be setting fruit by now. Of course only the female makes fruit so you can tag that one and take cuttings from that one. I would try cuttings sometime in June, they should all root then. Right now is to early for the cuttings.
If you have a native plant nursery close to you they should have them in containers.
A Google search will show any native nurseries near you.

goose63

A little clean up

I like to burn it befof it gets to big

Most of this high $$$$ walnut is on the next pile

WDH dont get to up set when I burn it

Iknow how much you like Wallnut  

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Da Boogie Man is gonna git you!!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Looks like I am gonna have to haul off to the Dakota's to rescue some walnut ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Goose, that ain't a fire. :D Lit one myself this morning and it's still burning super hot. Heck, even fell a oak tree right into the fire. So, it's been a clean up slash and burn day even in 94F weather.

Lynn, we haven't had any real rain here in over 3 weeks. Starting to see some big cracks in the ground. Even my pond has dropped over 2'.

Andries

Careful now Danny - if you check your GooglerMaps, the Dakotas are very close to the Glaciated parts of the world. brrrrrrr . . . 

Could be that Goose is just warming up that walnut a bit. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Darrel

Blue Pondarosa pine. 

8/4 X 18" X 8'

Sawed 6 logs, the smallest was 24" butt end the largest was 32" butt end. I don't know the BF total, the customer was halling them away as fast as I could cut them but Doyle says 1120 BF. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

I am sorta partial to denim.  smiley_thumbsup  Matter of fact I have to take some pictures at the Cabin this weekend to show a couple of potential customers what can be done with denim Pine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dustintheblood

Well after sittin on my hands for a few years (a break from the wood-making stuff) I'm gonna fire up the new setup next week.  I'd idled the mill and kiln for about five years, except for little tinkering here and there.

Last summer I tore it all down, and rebuilt and rejigged the whole kit and kaboodle.  Started by dealing with the low-grade first by setting up a new 30' three strand live deck that feeds a semi-automatic firewood processor, which dumps into tipping hoppers.  The outfeed has a sort line and debris screen.  A grain auger clears the sawdust into another dump trailer.  A two-station bagger area takes the prime splitwood and adds a bunch of value by just putting it into lil ole bags.  Debris and crap goes into another hopper for the boiler.

Moving back up the line, the edger and sawmill are inline with the firewood line so that slabs and rips go right straight into something of value without stopping.  The edger has a blower system and screen to remove sawdust.

The sawmill has room enough for eight sort racks and is positioned to edge as the flitches come off the mill.  If the logs are curvy, nasty or just plain ugly we saw em anyways to get a board or two with the reminder right into the firewood line.

Within a few feet of the mill is the dry kiln with about 3500 board feet capacity.  Track loaded and computer controlled, it's nice to see it up and steamy.

A quick and dirty parts shop and secure area to store my junk  "I may need this some day stuff" is being built in the next few weeks.

All this is indoors under a roof so that winter cold and summer heat don't add more grey hair to my head.

Now all I have to do is decide if I want the headaches of actually selling wood again.  Gosh I love making it, I just don't like parting with it.

Pics to come soon as I get the finishing touches on things....
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Magicman

Wow dustin, it looks/sounds like you have a well planned full blown operation.  I look forward to seeing your pictures.  :P

mike_belben

I hope you start your own thread, thats probably the most exciting (to me anyway) post ive ever read on FF.  I am in the dirt pushing stage of a similar setup.  I hope that it spans the whole spectrum, from loading export containers right down to industrial sized hot composting of sawdust and chipwood and bagging topsoil.  I want to maximize the dollars from every shred of lignin that comes through my gate, no matter what species.

I love working and i love staying home so i guess i need to live at my own factory.
Praise The Lord

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thechknhwk

Dustintheblood, must see pics!  sounds awesome

Crossroads

Dang, when you get back into something. You don't fool around!!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

E-Tex

This Saturday's Job..... Big'ns

10/4 Slabs

Will be the biggest I've attempted.  Nervous, but can't wait!!

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

That last one will be interesting for you anyway.  I'll just watch and smile.  :)

dustintheblood

Quote from: Crossroads on May 16, 2018, 08:48:57 PM
Dang, when you get back into something. You don't fool around!!
The home mill's still and always will be small potatoes.  The big northern SPF mills that I do work with --- now they're the big ones.  When you're watching them spit studs out so fast out of the planer line that they're a blur, it's really quite something.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

WDH

E,

I bet sparks will fly ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KirkD

Sawed a backstop yesterday >:( So I guess I am in that club now :D
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

dustintheblood

Quote from: KirkD on May 17, 2018, 12:14:54 PM
Sawed a backstop yesterday >:( So I guess I am in that club now :D
Some days it feels like I was aiming for them  :D :D

Magicman

Maybe you should not have paid as much attention to WDH's comment above but at least you did make the sparks fly.  ::)  :D

paul case

4/4x3.5''-8 red oak post oak and a little blackjack oak mixed in. We get a lot of logs that will not tie and 4/4x3.5''-8' is what we make from them. The buyer I have for most of that size will cut them down to 4' and notch them for pallet stringers. I had not sold any to him for 5 months and back in April he called needing them as his largest supplier cut him out for some reason. 

We have cut him 2 loads of 1600 each back in April and now he needs more. Got 200 ties( a semi load) ready to go out and Scott should finish our load of 3x4-10 today so I can deliver it Monday. 

We are just rocking along.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!