iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite chainsaws

Started by Murphydog, July 20, 2012, 01:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murphydog

Do you guys out there have a favorite make of chainsaw?I like Huskys but STIHL seem to be the main seller over here in England

clww

O my! Jump right in and open a BIG can of worms! :o
How many minutes are there in a day? That's close to how many different ideas you'll hear. My profile gives away my favorite. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Caloren

I've liked Husky's since I used my first one in 1972, but my three main saws now are Stihl's. Two main reasons for this:
1. Store in town [Ace Hardware] sells, services, and has parts for Stihl.
2. Most of the loggers and pro users in this neck of the woods use Stihl. See a pro Husky once in awhile.
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

lumberjack48

1960 though 1970 i ran Homelite, McCulloch and Pioneer.

1970 though 1985 i ran Husqvarna, Jonsered, Stihl and Partner.

1985 though 1989 i ran Stihl

1989 though 1996 the wife and crew ran Stihl  [ Favorite is Stihl ]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Bogue Chitto

Lot of people use Stihl down here Washington Parish.

Dave VH

I'm a Stihl guy. (but to be honest, I've haven't given anything else a chance)
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Shotgun

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Murphy.  This forum is almost 12 years old.  Your specific question isn't the first time around the block on this one, surprise, surprise.  A prudent search will turn up lots of responses, and will probably get you a lot more information than your new (?) question. It's a Chevy/Ford thing, by the way.

Glad you're here.  There's lots to view.  You might even learn a thing or two.

Norm   
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Al_Smith

Oh it's not a bad question just a little leading .In response though as far as I'm concerned the ones that run are my favorite .The ones that don't are my least favorite but they all did at one time and likely all could again given enough time and tinkering .

T Welsh

I,m a Stihl guy. My favorite is a mid 90,s 044. Rebuilt once and lightly ported and gasket matched. Tim

Full Chisel

Quote from: T Welsh on July 20, 2012, 05:00:38 PM
I,m a Stihl guy. My favorite is a mid 90,s 044. Rebuilt once and lightly ported and gasket matched. Tim

Welsh about covers it. Add the pair of 066 spikes with D-P muffler gently gutted and that's a chewy recipe. I'm retiring mine briefly and my 026 for some inward polishing. M-Tronic will take up the slack. 026 is gettin some new parts. We'll keep ya posted.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

blademan1130

I started my career with Husky. Used them for a few years, then switched to Stihl and never looked back. I depend on them to make a living.
MS200T,260,261,044x2,440x2,460x3,660x3,880, FS550,Husky2100CD
CATD6D DD
CATD6RXL

Murphydog

Thanks guys,i guess Stihl wins,we have a few Stihls and one huski,but thats just used as a spare.

Dixie Feller

I started out w/Husqvarna about 15 years ago.I tried a couple Stihls along the way,but never saw a reason to make a brand change.Now all my saws are Husky except a couple Jonsereds and some old homelites that were my Dads.
Husqvarna 371xp,372xp,288xp(ported and  muf mod)338xpt,51,350,Jonsered 2065,2165.Homelite 330(Dad's old paper wood saw)Stihl HT100,HT101.John Deere 5310 4x4 w/ FEL,Deere 4025 4x4 w/ FEL,Ford 2810 w/FEL.Woodmizer LT-40.'03 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax,'93 chevy 2500 4x4 and several trailer

nmurph

Al_Smith

Everybody is entitled to an opinion .

Full Chisel

John Mc

If you look through past history, the chainsaw that "wins" this debate varies.  It's not because the relative quality of the saws has changed. It's more a function of who bothers to answer this question.  In reality, there are a number of very good brands out there that make good saws in the pro and mid-range categories (as well as companies that make decent saws for "occasional use). 

Which is best depends on your personal needs and priorities, even among pros. Power to weight ratio may be more of a priority for those getting up in years.  A young buck in good shape may be more interested in a solidly built saw that will last, but may be willing to put up with a little extra weight if it saves some $$.  Even those who prefer one manufacturer will probably grant that in a certain size range, another manufacturer may have the edge.

Unless you are doing all your own work on your saws, Haveing a great dealer will make more of a difference than whether you are using Husky, Stihl, Jonsered, Dolmar (and the list goes on).  Sometimes even if you are a great chainsaw mechanic, a good dealer in your area will swing to to one brand or another.

As others have said, it's a Ford vs Chevy thing.

I prefer Husky or Jonsered, but that's just because I've got 2 great dealers in my area for them.  If they weren't here, I'd go with Stihl, since that dealer is pretty good.  If we had a good dealer in our area for Dolmar, I'd try them - some of their saws seem like a good value for the dollar.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

tyb525

Stihl 038 Magnum. I have used other saws, I like the way Stihl's "feel" better than huskys. But if I wanted to I could like a husky. Dolmars look nice too, wish there was a dealer nearby.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

T Welsh

Any saw that runs and operates the way it is intended is a good saw!!!! I have tried a lot of brands over the years and all of the top 4 manufactures have a good line up. Reliability,good dealer back up are what sells me! I make a living with my saws and I want rock solid reliability and sound engineering behind my tools. Stilh has proven that to me for 25 years. Guess who invented the modern chain saw? Andreas Stihl. Tim

Full Chisel

Quote from: T Welsh on July 21, 2012, 06:13:03 PMGuess who invented the modern chain saw? Andreas Stihl. Tim

Poulan was originally an independent American company based in Shreveport, Louisiana, founded as Poulan Saw Co. in 1912 by chainsaw pioneer Claude Poulan. (I don't know how modern they were. Today a piece of junk.) But pre-dates Stihl.

Ron Scott

1961-1967: McCulloch
1967-1981: Homelite
1981-1995: Stihl
!995- 2007: Husky
2007- 2012: Husky and Stihl

The favorite saw usually depended upon the local dealer and what make was readily available and the saws of choice by the major loggers in the area.
~Ron

Full Chisel

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 22, 2012, 06:11:04 PM
1961-1967: McCulloch
1967-1981: Homelite
1981-1995: Stihl
!995- 2007: Husky
2007- 2012: Husky and Stihl

The favorite saw usually depended upon the local dealer and what make was readily available and the saws of choice by the major loggers in the area.
Good point. Around here, between 1961-1981 if they had something besides a Homelite or McCulloch, that would have been exotic.

beenthere

I bought my first Stihl 041 in 1975. That saw is still a running saw, but I upgraded to a Stihl MS361 in '04.
Better to have the safety brake but mainly the anti-vib suspension.

Many a friend and acquaintance has since switched to Stihl after being around this saw when cutting trees and bucking up logs.  A great dealer in the area helped that along a lot as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JOE.G

My Local dealer sells, Husky and Stihl, Around here we have a bunch of loggers, and most seem to run both saws, Me my self like Huskys better, But I also don't make a living with mine, not saying if I did it wouldn't be a husky but I just don't know it may be Stihl.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Thank You Sponsors!