iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Collection...So Far

Started by martyinmi, November 11, 2012, 12:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

A couple pictures of my chainsaws. The largest of the bunch, the Homelite 1050 Automatic, will end up leaving my collection. My BIL gave it to me, and after several hours on my part getting it up and running after it sat for 10+ years, he decided he wanted it back. I don't blame him, as his dad bought it new and it holds a lot of sentimental value to him.

Almost had another in my collection today, a Stihl MS 290. It is seized to the point that there are aluminum fragments in the muffler. They said it was strait gassed, but I think the reason it blew was because it was ran at WOT for way too long. I have never seen a chain in worse condition. The teeth were either missing or rounded so badly that it would be impossible to sharpen it. The chain rail on the bar had a dip in it from the wear of a hot, dull chain, as well as burrs that hung out about .060 on each side. They were firm on their price of 50 bucks. I offered them $20, and I think that was generous ;)

The Mac 610 and 10-10 are my favorites, as they were my dads. The saws of choice for my wood cutting hobby are the muffler modded MS310, and my new favorite trimming saw is the Mac 430. The 550 Homelite has replaced the Stihl 045 as my favorite big tree saw. The Poulan Wood Shark is my least favorite, followed by the MS170 Stihl. I did a mild muffler mod on the 170 today, so I'll take it to the woods later on today and see if it will keep up with the Mac 430. I'd actually be happy if it would outrun the Poulan.

I'd like to see pics of 'ol Al's collection on here someday ;) ;) :) 
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

sawguy21

Looking good.  8) When I started dating  Karen, my buddy's wife confided to her "He collects chain saws you know" like it was some kind of mental affliction.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I don't really have that many  between 40 and 50 I suppose that are intact and heaven only knows how many dead ones .Some are relatively fast ,some slow a few considered rare and a lot considered junk . :D

shelbycharger400

first glance of the picture , reminded of me when I usto go long distance getting firewood. We would bring almost every saw we had that ran with, 
5 to 7 , sometimes a few more.

Al_Smith

I suppose at best my firewood supply is 5-600 feet from where my saws reside .

shelbycharger400

drivin 190 miles one way , it took 1/4 tank to get their, then 3/4 tank to get back.
Step dads truck  dodge 6 speed Diesel, 4.11  4x4 with a 16ft trailer, thats 35 or 38 gallons..  I put some loads on that trailer!

thecfarm

Does your wife know you have all them??  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chipsfly09

I wish I had not looked at your collection!  Makes me want to get the old Homelite 450s out an piece them back together-- Mufflers fell off- etc. as well as the 925.  :'( Really very well built good running saws.  Love the manual oiler which will really sling the oil!

Glad you could fix the saw for your BIL.  What is the displacement on that monster?  100cc+

martyinmi

thecfarm,
You know the old saying "If it weren't for bad luck"?
My wife had just left to run to town to wash and vacuum her Yukon. She said she'd be gone for an hour and a half or so, so I decided I'd go to my three chainsaw stash places and grab them all, line them up, and snap a few pictures. You'll notice the one picture is taken from a higher elevation than the other? Well, I was laying on the top of our pick-up camper taking the last picture when she came driving in the driveway.
I asked her when she got out of the truck what she was doing home so early. She said she'd forgotten her purse. Then she asked where all the saws came from.
She already knew about two of the eBay saws, and also that I'd had a few others, and she didn't really make a big deal of them at all, or so I thought.
Turns out she needed some Christmas shopping money tomorrow for our son's gifts.
I planned on giving her some anyway, so I got into my billfold and gave her $250.
She pointed to my MS 310 and asked how much it cost. I told her I didn't really remember. Then she asked how much the MS 170 cost.
I asked her if another $100 would stop the questions.
She said "Yep".
It actually went much better than I expected.
She still doesn't know about the mini Mac at my dads, so I actually won, right?  :-\

chipsfly,
I think it is 100 cc's. I was going to use it on am Alaskan mill. I'm really glad my BIL has it back. I'd feel awful if I'd gave up one of my dads saws without giving it much thought beforehand.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Now Marty don't drop that load of horse pucky unless you are Bs-ing about that tractor pulling stuff .You and I know full well you could collect a 150 old saws for the price of one good puller .Remember who's on this forum now . :D

martyinmi

True story Al.
I'm actually quite fortunate that I have a very forgiving bride with a good sense of humor.
In the big scheme of things, she doesn't really care too much about how many saws I own.
Just as long as the house note and utilities are paid, she's as happy as can be expected.
She'd rather have me buying old saws and a Kamado grill than hanging out in a bar.
And she's up right now putting on coffee getting ready to go shopping.

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

thecfarm

marty,I like that story.  :D
Now that she knows,might just as add on and build a new wall to mount hang them all on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ctklrdon

I guess I'm really lucky, my wife has bought 25or more saws in our collection which is at 162 now..
At a weekly auction she use to go to they referred to her as the "Saw Lady".
187 saws in our collection, all colors from 1947 to 2007

martyinmi

Quote from: ctklrdon on November 15, 2012, 02:49:05 PM
I guess I'm really lucky, my wife has bought 25or more saws in our collection which is at 162 now..
At a weekly auction she use to go to they referred to her as the "Saw Lady".

Your bride sounds like a keeper! 8)

The way it looks I'll have at least two more in my collection in March. A friend of mine in Canada has a couple of older Homelites (a XL1 and a 922 XL) that he said I could have if I picked him up and took him with me on my way to the farm show in London Ontario.

My last trip to the farm show taught me what NOT to say to the folks at the boarder. The good looking Canadian girls do not have much patience for fat, smart alec Michigander men flirting with them. :-[ 
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Marty ,Marty ,Marty ,you don't hustle the chicks at the border.Fact you don't say any more than you have to to a border guard on either side .

Those people take a dose of grumpy pills every morning and wipe their butts with 4/0 sandpaper .They have a disposition of a wet hen .--but they are probabley okay if they aren't on the job . :D

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D  Al, that is priceless
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Oh man you ever have to deal with border patrol .I did twice a day when I worked in Sarnia Ont. and stayed in Port Huron Mich .

Those pot lickers can be real nice or have the airs of a teenage prom queen crossed with a gorrilla with a sore azz from the sandpaper.They have almost diplomatic immunity .You can complain all you want to to the feds and nothing becomes of it .

The Canadian side wasn't so bad but I swear they searched until they found the grumpiest old farts in the service on the US side .

I mean I've seen some foul tempered old chief boatswains mates when I was in the navy but they couldn't hold a candle to that lot .

martyinmi

Added another saw to my collection. I bought a little Mac 30 with all the manuals, tools, and case for 70 bucks. It needs a new chain, as someone ground the rakers down waaaay too far. I was able to do a little vibratory cutting with it today, and it appears to run as good as my dads. Now I'll two mini's when I finally bring my dads home. 8)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Thank You Sponsors!