iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeding of the deer

Started by thecfarm, December 30, 2018, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

I have only heard the "one square mile" territory for deer applied to does and their kin.  The bucks come and go from miles around.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mike_belben

QuoteI am thinking of putting in some kind of easy, healthy food crop for the deer in the hopes they may leave the saplings alone. I also expect it will never work out.
Deer feed on all sorts of stuff in the wild.  Grasses and forbs, hard mast, soft mast, grape, briars, honeysuckle, hedge, berries, pokeweed.

If youve got all conifers then oak sappling has no hope unless you provide alternatives.   in a hardwood stand its very easy to get them off your baby oak.  Just cull some of the shade tolerant understory stuff at the stump or hinge cut it.  In appalachia anyways deer are bananas for coppice sprouts off red maple, black gum and sourwood.  Its the top of their deep winter food list, and simultaneously the bottom of my  desireable timber list.  a match made in heaven.  With the entire woods floor covered in tufts of baby maple,  i couldnt get them to nibble an oak if i tried.  When there is a foot of snow over the corn and grass theyll still find your stump sprouts and gnaw them right down.

I got a little buck a few days ago on my property.  Eating my red maple, while full of someone elses shelled corn at $7 a bag. I never buy maple sprouts and never run out.  The deer leave my itty bitty place [5acre] for various reasons but always come back for the browse when the other food sources dry up.  Deer are always in a state of flux based on food and it can change quickly.  If you are supplying their favorite flavors youll have the deer. If too much pressure theyll go nocturnal but they'll visit for snacks until the pressure subsides.  Add water and bedding cover and theyll rarely leave.  Control predators and your herd will flourish.

When deer are chewing bark, theyre starving. Just like a horse.  You need to shoot a few or improve the landscapes browse production.
Praise The Lord

Pulphook

De brief sum up: don't feed any wild animals.
We feed birds only for our entertainment. Never feed deer, turkeys, or bear....it's not for them, not helpful for their survival.
Final.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doctorb on January 01, 2019, 04:30:04 PM
I have only heard the "one square mile" territory for deer applied to does and their kin.  The bucks come and go from miles around.
They taught us in Wildlife Biology classes at AU the average home range for whitetails for a doe was 1 square mile and 1.5 square miles for a buck. Not to say they did not range a good bit further when alarmed or when feed was scarce or such. 

For management for us we were taught to spend more time managing the habitat. No reason to try to maintain or increase the numbers of a game animal if the food and cover he wanted was not present. Get the conditions right then concentrate on the animal through restocking, regulating kills, etc. as needed. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

timberking

Yes I am feeding.......in front of my stand.  And the corn pile is coming closer when black powder season comes in next week.

Pulphook

Feeding at stands ain't hunting.
Besides you get hemhoroids (sp.) sitting on your butt. :-[
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Southside

Just wondering how many bear you have harvested while stalking them? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Quote from: Pulphook on January 03, 2019, 03:07:22 PM
Feeding at stands ain't hunting.
Besides you get hemhoroids (sp.) sitting on your butt. :-[
Ya know, yer starting to pith me off and it just aint me. Your opinion may matter in your house, but it don't hardly matter here.  I have opinions on lots of things, but I don't necessarily subject them as law like you are trying to do. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

In Kansas, the deer are too thick.  I finally put a ranch hand bull bumper on and have or nearly hit 3 in the past year.  My buddy just got a newer car per insurance since old Yucon was totaled after second hit.  I did not get to hunt this year, but when I do I usually only get 1 or 2 days and then if I don't get anything, I feel like I spent time away from my family with nothing to show for it.  I get the challenge of hunting, but if you are trying to put food on the table you cannot afford to spend a week for nothing.  My buddy Dallas hunts with bow and he takes the week off.  I had Amish putting up a fence and they take the whole family and live in a big tent.  These Amishmen hunt with bows and told me I was not a hunter, but simply a killer of deer since I use a rifle.  Fortunately I could see the smile on his face.   :laugh:.  I had a friend from high school going to medical school and man could he sing.  After a late shift, he was driving back to our home town to sing the next day at a funeral, and was killed when he hit a herd and rolled his car.  As humans we are also part of the eco system.  God Bless!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Many years ago I took a trip to Rochester NY on a project and driving up the interstate I found I suddenly started seeing many more dead deer on the side of the road in PA after I left WV. I told myself "They must have a lot more deer up here than we do." Then I suddenly realized "No, the economy is just better up here and they leave them lay while we stop and pick them up and take them home to eat."

Our state has the highest vehicle insurance rate for deer kills in the country. They opened up feeding/baiting for deer several years ago on private land to help reduce the herds. We also have special city hunts where deer killed in our larger cities do not count against your limits. They now have special hunts in the larger state parks because so many were starving there. We had special antlerless hunts for youth (8-14 y/o) who hunted with an adult. They have now opened these 3 days up to 65 and older also. Those deer don't count against your limits. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

I bought a welder off ebay years back and drove down from mass to eastern PA around the delaware water gap to get it.  The deer herds in fields on the side of the interstate were enormous. hundreds of them huddled together like penguins, i thought it was a commercial game farm at first but no fencing.

Worst rate of automotive deer kill ive seen would be the merrit parkway through richieville CT.  and maybe some stretches of 81 south of hazleton PA.  

Here in middle TN weve got thousands of acres of forest and pastures as far as you can see. Hardly ever see a daylight deer. But youre sure to pass 3 ladder stands per acre if you hike around a bit.

My only concern about feeding deer is that coyotes figure out how to ambush the corn bucket too.  Atleast with browse the deer tend to be less concentrated and a little more random in their movements.  It probably doesnt amount to nearly the impact of fawn predation by coyotes tho.   
Praise The Lord

braucher

The addition of a "supplement" to a deer's diet should be just that , an "addition ," a portion of a " holistic approach " to land management and heard management .
Simply stated, feeding corn is to supplemental feeding , what Gummey Bears are to your child's balanced diet. IMHO After a few years of doing it I can tell a difference . :P

timberking

Watched them eat this morning from the stand.  Didn't shoot.  Observing lets me see what is out there along with game cameras.  That lease doesn't have as many does but at the house I am overrun.  The BAIT will let me decide which older, barren doe to harvest with black powder which is about to begin.

WV Sawmiller

Our season ended Monday but somebody forgot to tell my DIL and she killed one Thursday with her car. Did about $4200 worth of damage. She hit it pretty much in the middle of town on a new major highway by-pass they recently opened in Beckley WV.

I miss the TV show where the guys in Connecticut and such were archery shooting them in the suburbs. I think the name of the show was "Chasing Tail". I loved it when they'd have to sneak in and get a dead deer off some PETA executive's swimming pool and such. It seemed like most of the high end residents were happy to get rid of them after having several wrecks and losing all their flowers and such.
Howard Green

doc henderson

Well it happened.  Almost home at 01:30 and slammed on brakes and missed the first two deer, the last one ran strait into my front passenger door, still ran off.  air leak sound and smooshed in door.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

That's too bad. Them critters can cause some damage.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Did you try and resusitate him?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

I stopped and backed up,  did not see the deer.  I was not happy but at least the damage was mostly if not completely to the door.  It must have sprung something since I can hear air like it is not shut.Had he been laying there, I am not sure resuscitation is what I had in mind!!  They were all three pretty small.  Might make jerky out of em in a few years.  In my younger days, I had a 1972 2 door galaxy 500, you remember those, about 30 feet long.  I got slowed to about 70 before I hit this deer.  His head got my hood, shoulder got my grill, body got my fender legs got my door, and hair got all tufted in between my tire and rim.  

doc henderson

Walnut cookie to support a European mount for my buddy Jim.  We brew beer together.  pronounced in Ks as your-rope-ian.

Sadly, not the little deer who smashed my door this am

Pulphook

Too many deer, not enough hunters here.

There was a "village" hunt in Castine, Maine 2 years ago. The swells in the town wanted only bow hunting to rid the marauding deer ( McMansion plantings BTW ). Can't have those gun toting rednecks in their town.
Now these bow hunter gibones IN TOWN put on their $$$ camo gear, face paint, and carbon bows. No kills. Fun to watch them 'stauking' (sp) on paved sidewalks and streets.

WV Sawmiller

I loved it on Chasing Tail when they would set up a "Stand" on somebody's back deck or they would shoot a deer and it would run 100 yards next door and die on the cover of the swimming pool of some animal lovers yard and one guy would distract the owner in front while the others sneaked it and got the deer before anybody realized it was there. I don't know if they had security cameras and what the owner thought if they looked at the tapes later. I think they had to stop hunting at the golf course at 8:00 am as that is when they opened to the public. I saw one episode where the "hunter" tracked his deer down then hired a taxi to take it back to "Deer Camp". I don't know if those places have opened crossbow hunting in those areas yet.
Howard Green

Southside

Never saw the show, but as a hunter I think that sort of behavior - distracting the owner and sneaking in - does not do any good for hunting in general.  I know I would be completely ripped and would pursue all legal options if someone pulled a stunt like that on me.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

What a life!!
At least 30 deer tonight. I just stood there and watched them eat the food I put down. Two nice looking bucks was there with horns. They seem to be hungry tonight. They came within 20-25 feet of me. The headlamp didn't seem to bother them . Had many just turn their backs side to me and walk away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

They were probably looking for their cousin from Kansas who said he was on the way last they knew... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Southside,

I am sure they were just trying to keep the guy from being traumatized. I am sure he would not have been happy if he had found the dead deer there and had to pay somebody to haul it off even though the hunter had not done anything wrong or illegal up to that point. As I remember the episode this was right after Superstorm Sandy had hit the area and the guy in front was an arborist who presented himself as interested in removing uprooted and broken trees and actually got a contract to do the work while the hunter got the deer out the back way.

Yes, the proper way to have handled it would have been to go to the guy and apologize and ask to remove the deer. They had previously asked permission to hunt and been denied violently while the neighbor begged them to come thin them off his place because of the damage they were doing to his place.

I have my property posted but if a wounded deer came over and died on my place I would be fine for and would expect the hunter to come get him and if he came to me I'd even take my ATV and Sampson, my 13 lb rat Terrier, up there and help him look for him and bring him out but that's just me.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!