iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pinless moisture meter for stickered lumber?

Started by scsmith42, December 03, 2017, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

It's always a bit of a pain to find boards that can be slid out of the side of a stack for taking readings.  I recall that Wagner makes a remote sensor for one of their meters, but it's pretty pricy ($1,600).

Seems to me that I recall seeing a meter - maybe it was in an article in Sawmill and Woodlot - that was narrow enough to fit in-between stickered boards and it had an LCD readout on the side.  You could poke it a foot or so in between the boards and get easy readings from within the stack.

Can anybody advise me of the brand and potential source for this meter?  Any other alternatives other than placing remote probes in place as the lumber is stickered?

Thx.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For most lumber, a side reading with 2" insulated needles driven at 1/4 of the thickness on the edge, will give you a very good estimate of the MC under 30% MC.

You could also get the remote jig from Delmhorst that allows you to insert their needles at two depths permanently (until done drying) and run wires which you attach to the meter.  Various versions can get fancy.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Brian_Rhoad

Thank You Sponsors!