iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a new home, returning to the farm.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2018, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well, I had to take a pick of the roof going up. And climbing. ;D

The red lines show the edges of the 9' ceiling. Ceiling slopes down to 6'. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

End of week 2, which was another 4 day week because of rain on Monday.

Do you see the moon off the corner of the roof? ;)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GRANITEstateMP

Lookin' good, I really like the roof lines.  What are you gonna use for roofing material?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

IMERC

that's shaping up to be one sweet abode...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

SwampDonkey

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on June 23, 2018, 12:53:03 PM
Lookin' good, I really like the roof lines.  What are you gonna use for roofing material?
Galum Steel 26 gauge, 3 lb per linear foot. :)

Larry

Are you screwing the metal directly to the osb?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Larry, ice/water shield, #15 felt on top, screwed down steel.

Peter Drouin

Screw down well, The OSB does not hold screws well.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Screws will be going into the rafter and gable wood.

Larry

Excellent.  Make sure you closely inspect that it is done that way, as screws can back out of osb, especially if they pre-drill the metal.

I'm impressed by your build.  Its really interesting following your progress.  Thanks for the pictures.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

The steel up this way often (not always) comes pre-drilled on the ridges. All work is guaranteed for 7 years through Atlantic Home Warranty. Only two fellas around here that have that backing, including this contractor. I just saw their Warranty inspector this week on site.

SwampDonkey

Week 3: Only 3 days this week for weather and July 1 weekend.

We did close in the south end (that is quite the staging there), it is 42 feet to the peek of that roof. Those sheets of steel are 24 feet long and 26 gauge.

We also have the sewer in now, we are awaiting inspection before covering it. The berm is 20 feet out sloped and 10 feet out the ends of the tubes. I think I'm building a hotel. The backup plan is the potty hut. 

In that dormer area in last week's photo is a cathedral ceiling, about 15 feet to the peek, sloped down to 9 feet. 16 x 16 feet floor area under it.

samandothers

Mooseherder

The roof pitch eliminates any concerns from the snowload police. ;D

SwampDonkey

For sure, won't be more than 2" on that sucker before she slides. :D

SwampDonkey

Week 4: A 3 day week. Vapour barrier up with 1" of styrofoam on. Petitions up in main floor. Dormer area and north wall up stairs closed in. Still need strapping and petitions on second floor. Photos of living room, kitchen and large closet by entry/washroom.

Living room area

Kitchen area

Washroom closet, 3' deep

Videos

First floor

house first floor - YouTube

Second floor

house second floor - YouTube

samandothers

Looks great.  Y'all have accomplished a great deal!  Will you use double hung or casement windows?  Videos helped.

Are you rushing it a bit with the rocker in front of the window?  I do like the view.

SwampDonkey

Double hung mostly, with casement over the counter tops with crank outs. Casement have better thermal, but can't clean them very easy.

It's a new rocker I recently bought. I am just breaking it in. :D It will go back in the barn when the men are at work during the week. ;)

Ron Scott

~Ron

Roxie

Say when

SwampDonkey

Thanks everyone. :)

Today we put up the posts and framed the floor in for the main porch, I suspect they will carry on around for the narrow entry porch tomorrow. We put in the bedroom petition up stairs and framed in the linen closet up stairs. Still a closet in the bedroom to frame in. They are probably going to strap the second floor ceiling tomorrow I suspect.

Thank You Sponsors!