iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any other pilots out there

Started by jargo432, May 30, 2014, 01:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

Years ago I had the big idea of become a commerical pilot.  I got my PPL and had started on my IR, when I found out how much new pilots make.  That was the end of it for me.  (no way to support a family on that)  Every few years I get current and fly for a while just to keep my license, but the cost keeps me away most of the time.

Just wondering if anyone here uses a plane for forestry purposes.  Now that would be the best of both worlds.  :)
Jack of all trades.

dukndog

PPL here...no fancy stuff. Still work for a living and fly when I need a release from the "real world"!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

pineywoods

There's a few of us aviators on here..Commercial and instrument rating, but never flew for hire. Wife got her private, we had a lot on the taxiway at a small private strip. Sold the plane when the kids started college, got out of aviation except for the big annual EAA fly-in up in wisconsin. Still go every year, only missed it twice in 40 years..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pine

Quote from: jargo432 on May 30, 2014, 01:18:39 AM

Just wondering if anyone here uses a plane for forestry purposes.  Now that would be the best of both worlds.  :)

Helicopter logging is the closest that I know of.  Specialized and only done when there is no other option for normal logging ops.

Have heard proposed timber cruises being accomplished with aerial mapping and fancy software but have not heard of it being actually done yet. I have my doubts however as to its efficacy.  Some one on here may know more about it. 

PineNut

I had my fun flying. Rated single & multiengine land with instrument and a type rating in Convair 240, 340 and 440 aircraft. Had about 10,000 hours when I retired from the Air Force in 1980. I haven't flown as a pilot since then. Not that I wouldn't like to continue to fly but now it would be with my own nickel. I could make my money go much further doing other things I like to do. I thought about flying commercial but when I saw salary, working hours and that I may not be able to live where I wanted to live, I decided I would hang up my wings.   

dukndog

Sooo....from the posts so far...If'n ur name starts with "Pine" you're probably a pilot!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Roxie

Of course, the rudder pedals are only there to correct for deficiencies in the ailerons.   :)

Say when

jargo432

Quote from: Roxie on May 30, 2014, 05:12:57 PM
Of course, the rudder pedals are only there to correct for deficiencies in the ailerons.   :)

Adverse yaw, my favorite subject!
Jack of all trades.

pine

There are/were some aircraft that if you used ailerons at high AOA you would depart controlled flight.  You flew with rudder only at high AOA or paid the price of a departed aircraft.

ozarkgem

I had a Cherokee 140 , put 250 hrs on it. Sold it to build my house debt free. I would like a bush plane next time around. Something I can land in the pasture. Low and slow for me.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

im a pile-it...I pile it here and pile it there. log piles, firewood piles, scrap metal piles, good metal piles, and so on. does that count?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on May 30, 2014, 08:43:21 PM
im a pile-it...I pile it here and pile it there. log piles, firewood piles, scrap metal piles, good metal piles, and so on. does that count?
as long as you keep a "log" book.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

jargo432

Quote from: pine on May 30, 2014, 06:22:00 PM

There are/were some aircraft that if you used ailerons at high AOA you would depart controlled flight.  You flew with rudder only at high AOA or paid the price of a departed aircraft.

In a cessna that's how you create a spin.  But a spin's not really uncontrolled in a cessna, you have to hold the rudder in to keep it spinning.  Let off the rudder and it stops spinning nose down.
Jack of all trades.

boscojmb

Quote from: jargo432 on May 30, 2014, 01:18:39 AM
YES!
I spent several years logging / milling in Alaska. I would always fly to spot the next site to set up the mill. I would spot potential mill sites from the air, then check them by snowmobile, then tow the mill in on skis behind a larger snowmobile after a trail was cleared.
We would also spot tracts of standing deadwood for firewood by air.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

thecfarm

Quote from: boscojmb on June 03, 2014, 09:48:49 PM
then tow the mill in on skis behind a larger snowmobile after a trail was cleared.

Interesting. What kind of mill? How was the lumber moved after it was sawed?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

boscojmb

Quote from: thecfarm on June 03, 2014, 10:02:35 PM
Interesting. What kind of mill? How was the lumber moved after it was sawed?
Homemade band mill for dimensional lumber and a bumble bee chanisaw mill for 3 sided cants for cabin building.
Moving the lumber was the easy part. 12' sled behind a snowmobile. The frozen river was the best highway I have ever driven. If I was milling a good distance away, I would use two sleds. I would haul one sled at a time out to the river, then hook them together and haul "doubles" on the river. All together I could haul 4000 Lbs +.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

hardtailjohn

I mostly mechanic.... 30+ years on everything from Cubs to helicopters, but mostly round engines....but also fly. The flight end of things never did that much for me....always loved the machinery end of it. That being said, I still own a Tcraft, Bellanca Cruisair, and Super Cub project..... but typical mechanic, all are apart right now.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

John Mc

Got my Private in 1994 or 95, Instrument and Commercial in 2001, got my CFI a few years after that (the oral exam and check ride for that made all the others seem like a walk in the park by comparison).  I instructed for a while, but mostly as a hobby - couldn't afford to do it full time.  I still keep the CFI renewed every 2 years, since it's a pain in the neck to get it back once you let it expire (have to go through the whole exam and check ride again). I keep it in case my kids ever get interested in learning.  (which reminds me... My CFI is due for renewal next month. Time to get moving on the online FIRC.)

My wife is a pilot, Private + Instrument. We own a Cessna 172 w/ 180 HP conversion. A great little plane, and has been fairly economical to operate (at least as aircraft go).  We haven't flown much in the past year or so... just too busy with other things.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

den

I was going to be a professional student pilot, when I had a Cessna 172.
My instructor Kevin Mills said he wasn't signing me off any more, go for my check ride or else.
So I went and got my private, then sold the plane in 2000.

I new a guy that own a Navion had a student pilot lic. and about 300hrs.,
I don't think he ever got his private.
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

John Mc

These days, it can be hard to get insurance if you are a "permanent" student pilot.  If you get too much over 100 hours, some insurance companies start to get antsy about you. They must figure there is something wrong if you can't pass the check ride.  We were renting our plane to a woman who kept running into problems:  too busy at work to fit in lessons, then when work got slow, not enough money to pay for it. When time and money finally came together, she blew out her knee, then had another medical issue.  She was up to about 120 hours.  Our agent said the underwriter would keep her on, but only because she had been on for a while and was therefore an "established customer".  If we dropped her from the policy, it was likely we'd have trouble getting her back on - or face rate increases or other requirements and restrictions
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kevin19343

I've been a pilot for 19 years. When I started flying it cost around $35 to rent a Cessna 152 for an hour. The price has gone up a little since then. If I ever got serious about flying I would consider get something faster like a Cessna 210 or maybe a Saratoga.

John Mc

I'd love to have faster (who wouldn't?) but just can't justify the expense.  As it is, we're debating about taking in a partner (which has its own set of concerns) or just selling our 172 altogether.  The one thing stopping us from selling is that we know that if we sell, we'll never own another plane.  Plus, I'd love to teach my kids to fly someday.

pineywoods

I sold my 4 seat stinson when the kids started to college. If I ever own another plane, it will most likely be a homebuilt, there's some advantages to them, some real nice ones out there
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Woodhauler

I haul wood for a guy that is a pilot for FED EX!!   Makes big money, but loves to cut wood when he is home! He is home 2-3 days out of 7 and i can count on 2-3 loads of wood! Put up like it should be. Loaded 10cd long poplar on him today in  15  minutes.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

MartyParsons

Hello,
I am a student pilot. Instructor said solo next time out. Seem to have all the numbers right. Just need to prefect the flair at landing. We did about 8 landings tonight. Flying a Aero Commander Lark with 180 hp.
Using Kings school course. 
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!