iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop made awls

Started by Larry, January 22, 2016, 02:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

A few awls I recently made.

The tall ones are scratch awls.  The blade is O-1 tool steel that I heat treated to really hard.  After using them I think the shaft is a little long.  Next time I'll make a little shorter.

Short ones are called bird cage awls.  They got the name because the point is either 3 or 4 sided to make drilling holes in thin material easy.  The material is than laced into a bird cage.  I guess now about all they are used for is making a start hole in wood prior to drilling.  The shaft on these are music wire so I didn't have to fool around with heat treating.

Ferules are brass plumbing nuts turned round.

Wood is from the Sarvis or Service Berry tree with the exception of the one walnut.  Some have a bit of splalting.  Most has curl.

Next little project is making some matching marking knifes for laying out dovetails.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

Like those too... very sharp... in more ways than one.  smiley_thumbsup

They are very handy to have around for woodworking...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ozarker

Good looking tools. My compliments. :)

Magicman

Very nice, and they will be a joy to use.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Nice Nice Nice!!!

The awl I always grab in my shop, is long handled.

I like them awl all, but my favorite is back row... far left.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

lowpolyjoe

21incher

They look great. Making the ferules from nuts is a idea that I am going to steal from you. The cage awl sounds real handy, thanks for sharing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

rasman57

Great skill and Craftsmanship.  So nice to see such a fine example of a handmade functional tool in the throwaway world of today.   NICE WORK!

terrifictimbersllc

Very nice. Does the ferrule still have threads on the inside?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Larry

Yes, the threads are still there.  I turn the wood to a diameter that lets me turn on the nuts with a firm grip.  A couple of drops of CA glue lock the nut in place.  Next I turn the nut to almost round with a standard HSS wood lathe gouge.  The brass turns about like wood.  Final step is I taking the nut completely round with a file and finishing with 400 grit sandpaper.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Kbeitz

I make springs with music wire. I have never seen or use music wire that large.
From where do you buy it?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

K&S Metals make it here in the US.  It can be had up too 1/4" diameter.  I get it from Amazon but a lot of hobby shops carry it in the bigger cities.  Usually comes in a package with something like 7 sticks 3' long and its not very expensive.

hackberry jake

I see your lathe skills are progressing. I wouldn't even know what to do with an awl.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

yukon cornelius

Wow those are beautiful handles. I used to use an awl in tin working. I have used it in wood working for marking but not as often. You do really nice work!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Lud

Those are awlful nice, Larry! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

samandothers

Quote from: Lud on January 24, 2016, 06:03:11 PM
Those are awlful nice, Larry! 8)
;D

Very nice!  I too use them to help center drip bits or start screws.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bark Beetle

Those are very nice.   smiley_really_happy
Does turning the brass dull your tools fast?
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

Larry

Not that I can tell.  Non-ferrous metals work pretty easy with standard HSS woodworking tools.

Thank You Sponsors!