iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut tree

Started by Waldoman, August 30, 2011, 09:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waldoman

New to the forum. Want to find out how to find somebody that would be interested in my Black Walnut tree in my yard. I live in the Pittsburgh area and I am not sure where to start. The tree looks like it is bigger than my house. Thanks.

Dan_Shade

is it standing, or has it blown over?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR_Buck

If you have a tree service cut it down, I'm sure someone would be willing to haul it away.   Urban yard trees no matter what specie have little to no value to any timber buyers.   You might find a woodworker willing to give you a few bucks for it, again only after it is taken down.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Waldoman

It is still standing and living. Tree is not by my house but closer to houses below me.

Waldoman

DR_BUCK  Oh, I was told by a couple of people that it would be worth a little something but I wasn't sure.

WDH

Have it felled and have a portable sawmill cut it into lumber.  Sticker-stack the boards under cover to air dry.  Sell to local woodworkers on Craigslist.  That way you can net out some money.  Otherwise, it will just cost you to have it felled and hauled away.  It will be a stretch to sell the standing tree to someone.  The commercial mills will not buy it as it has too high of a probability of containing metal, will be fast grown and lower quality, and will be a liability to harvest.  If you can sell it, don't expect a fortune.  A hundred or so dollars is about the most you could expect if a portable sawyer is interested in buying it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WH_Conley

Beware of the "Tree experts" with a pickup truck with a ladder and a beer cooler on the back. A reputable tree removal expert costs more, but no nasty surprises. The guy with no ins drops it on the neighbors house, he runs, you pay.
Bill

Ironwood

I am in Greensburg Pa. and have lots of good guys I can refer. I dont cut them down, just work with owners/ tree guys to get logs I want.

I will PM you (personal message)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jdtuttle

This is a you tube video on a highly valuable black walnut tree. This isn't meant to be negative on your request but it does help explain the problems with yard trees. It's entertaining too  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgQHWQoatg&feature=player_embedded
Good luck,
Jim
Have a great day

Jeff

Here is a link from the university of ohio that gives a bit friendlier view of the value of urban Walnut trees, and does not use the word "retarded".  I watched that video and was not surprised at the source of origin.  People that ask about walnut trees with expectations of some great monetary value are not "retarded" as made out in that video. They are simply uninformed, or in most cases, misinformed.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0044.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cypresskayaksllc

Ive been seeing people on craigslist offering their pine tree for free if someone would come take it down. Of course the person has to be licensed and insured and the tree is close to a hazard. I cant imagine anyone would take that deal. About a month ago I needed some pine logs and advertised in my local swapper that I would buy pine logs. I thought Id get a farmer or large land owner to sell about 20 trees to me. But instead all the calls I got were from people that lived in the city with a pine tree next to their house wanting to know how much they could get. It was my fault. I should have been clearer in my ad.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Chuck White

Those "city trees" are generally quite a lot cheaper than "forest trees", but at a bigger risk.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mikeb1079

jeff that's a good link, thanks.  very informative.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

zopi

I love. The yo yo who wants you to invest thousands in equipment, skill, insurance, fuel, and labor for five hundred bucks worth of questionable pine lumber...saw one like that locally here...would have been a six or eight thousand dollar rigging removal of about ten or twelve trees...but yeah...misinformed...hadda guy want me to give him fifteen hundred dollars for a walnut tree the grew the last eighty or so years in a barnyard...in addition to taking it down...would love to have the tree...and would even volunteer my service for the wood in this case....but the tree is not marketable.
And as above...be very selective about the company you have remove a tree...ask about insurance, and license...bonding is not all that necessary unless the job is really expensive..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Collima

No matter how nice of a walnut it is I would charge for the tree removal.  If it's super nice and not an urban tree I would pay $0.40 per board ft using a log scale.
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

Ironwood

Guys, FYI I did PM this person, and kinda spelled out what most of you are saying, ie, risk/return, time, equipment and distance. I have not heard back, so possibly fishing. (out at the lake or online). I am certainly close, and this is one of the things I do. So,.....we'll see.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Srbenda

Why are urban trees disliked?  Is it because of the location and proximity to houses, etc, or just how the actual wood is, and if so, why?

beenthere

Disliked because they are singular (i.e. expensive to retrieve one tree), close to house or building (i.e. no place to drop easily), and highly likely to contain metal from 100+ years of proximity to humans hanging clotheslines, bird feeders, signs, etc.

srbena
Where are you located?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

In the case of Walnut, unless you find someone that likes the white wood there is not as much yield per diameter. In most cases an open grown walnut will have a higher amount of sap wood than a woods tree. That cuts down on the money if you are selling.
Bill

Collima

Most people buying and selling walnut logs measure the smallest end of log and inside diameter of sapwood.  Meaning nobody calculates sapwood into the yield of a log

WH_Conley

Depends on the buyer around here. Since steaming came along, just about all of the buyers measure the sap too. What I should have said was for the small time operator, like most of us who just air dry and sell the sap wood is usually hard to move.
Bill

Collima

Oh ya. I forgot about big mills steaming walnut

Banjo picker

If you will look at the pictures in the link that Jeff posted you will also see the limbs start very close to the ground...Limbs will hurt the grade of the boards that come off the log...Just about any tree that has lots of space inbetween it and other trees will be that way...People don't want their yard trees too close together..so you usually get lots of limbs...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Most woodworkers do not want any sap.  Then, there are a few that love the contrast.  It depends on the level of artistic license. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

But still the yard trees have almost everything against them, and no real plusses... unless they are Free, and already on the gound :D

A big commercial mill doesn't want to risk $1,000 damage and down time to tramp metal, when they can buy clean forest logs for a sensible price. A small scale operator is more likely to risk a $20 band or some carbide cutters, IF the log can be recovered relatively easily. But that reflects on the value of the log.

Big difference between a standing tree, and an expensive piece of furniture, a lot of steps and expense when into converting it.

Most yard trees have a "negative" timber value - It's going to cost more to harvest them than the log is worth.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!