iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you insulate this?

Started by hackberry jake, April 29, 2014, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I would like to use this as the base of the kiln so I don't have to pour a concrete pad or frame in something else.

Problem is trying to figure out how to insulate it. Steel is a pretty good conductor...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Andy White

hackberry jake,
Maybe use some spray foam around the perimeter and cross members, inside frame,  then lag screw plywood to the bottom. Then insulate with fiberglass batts, and vapor barrier , then plywood on top. Should seal good and not have condensation problems on the covered steel???
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

barbender

Jake, I have wood I joists in my house, and I used a combination of rigid foam and spray foam to seal and insulate where they meet the rim joist. It worked really well. I usually hate using spray foam, but I bought one of the guns that uses the bulk cans of foam. It was spendy, around $50, and the foam is around the same price as the regular cans. The thing is you can adjust the flow rate so you get just the right amount, and you can spray what you need, and leave it sit for a month and it still works. It makes the foam go 3 times farther. Anyways, cut your rigid foam with about a 1/2" gap all around, spray the foam in the gaps. The foam should stick to the steel, it seems to stick to everything ::)
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

You might be able to just put sheets of foam right on top of the steel and put your wood sheathing right over it, too. That would provide a thermal break, too.
Too many irons in the fire

ely

freezer panels are fairly reasonable at times if you have a place to obtain them. they work well for things like that.

Thank You Sponsors!