iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What The ^%%^%$#$%&*(( Do I spray, or COOK?

Started by Andy White, June 19, 2014, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Just got to the lake, went out to check my stacks of Red Oak, and found this! Bug holes and dust on one stack of fresh cut oak. The stack next to it is clean, and no holes, and the Walnut is clean as well. I think they are Ambrosia beetles, because the holes are black inside. Should I spray with borate, then put it in the kiln, or spray and watch for a while? I don't want this to happen again, so what now??

This could make me want to rethink making my own wood!!   >:( >:( electricuted-smiley arg-smiley
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

ely

those would not bother me at all, but you aint me. I have a feeling the bugs were in the wood when you sawed it. that bark being on the board may have a lot to do with it. the heat would stop any further damage from the bugs already in the wood.

WDH

Ambrosia beetles get into logs very soon after they are cut, so I agree that they were probably already in the wood before you sawed the boards.  As the boards dry, they will leave.  You really don't have to do anything regarding this ambrosia beetle problem.  They have already done what they are going to do.  Borate will not help at this point from an ambrosia beetle standpoint, however, it would help to prevent powderpost beetles from gaining a foothold once the lumber is dry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

I agree with both these posts. :snowball: ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

I cut some red oak a few days ago that had been cut down and laying on the ground for 4 - 6 months.  Some ambrosia beetles are already leaving the party and departing although the boards have only been drying for a few days.  It does not take long at all for them to leave. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

Danny,
The sooner the better!!{old saying}. What needs to happen after drying to avoid Powder Post Beetles? Don't need that!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

YellowHammer

The curse of warm weather red oak...I've seen it many times myself.  I'd put that load in the kiln ASAP.  If you let the bugs leave on their own accord, then they will leave a maximum amount of holes.  If you can dry the oak on the fast side of the kiln schedule and get right to the sterilization cycle quickly, then a fair percentage won't have time to drill out and create more holes.  You'll still have holes, just not so many.  You'll even see a bunch of flashed off bugs still in their little tunnels, if you get to them fast enough.

This time of year, spraying wood with Timbor or equivalent as soon as it comes off the mill is a good idea as a preventative measure, but as WDH says, it won't help the infested stack, only protect the others.
Walnut is so distasteful to most bugs, I rarely spray it.  Same with poplar and sassafras.  Oak, on the other hand, brings the little critters in for a snack pretty quick. 
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The ambrosia beetle hatches, exits, and lays eggs and these eggs hatch, exits, etc. Three times a year.  When they hatch, they live in the wood debris on the ground.  This is why many air yards use a gravel base...no food or lodging for these insects.  Spraying the soil seldom works as they eat very little while on the ground.  Treating the lumber beforehand does work if they are not already in the lumber (from the log).  Of course, they can also be in the stickers, so they can infect each subsequent load.  Tough to control unless lumber and 4x4 are treated and wood debris is picked up.

Once in the kiln at 133F, they and eggs are killed.  Keep sticks and 4x4 dry and they will not get in them unless rewetted.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

Nothing more satisfying than "flashing" the bugs off in the kiln.  Here's a picture I took awhile ago showing some holes and bug frass in Red Oak that I had taken out of the kiln.  Although some of bugs made it out before they fried, some, including this one, didn't have a chance. ;D

YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I love to see fried bugs  :D. 

If you cut hardwood down here, and if you do not saw it ASAP, you will enjoy ambrosia beetles  :)

The all come South to party for the Spring Break, the Summer Break, and the Fall Break......

Thank You Sponsors!