iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why not a torsion axle on bandsaw mills

Started by Waggs, March 12, 2019, 10:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waggs

Hello all
 This is my first post. I recently built a bandsaw Mill 36" cut by 16 1/2' using the crosswood design plus modifications. The rails I made them out of 4x4 angle with 4x3 below that to stiffen up the angle with 2x 6 tubing for the log supports. I made it moveable by making  torsion axles so all you have to do is Jack it up pull one pin per side and a remove the axle then jack it down to the ground. I welded eight screw Jacks to level the the track. Is there a flaw with torsion axles? If I could figure out how to post pictures I would post them. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dana Stanley

Woodland Mills trailer comes w torsion axles. Seems like independent suspension would be good off road too.

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Percy

I mis interpreted the title...I thought someone used a torsion axle for blade tensioning..... That might work..... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

barbender

I can't think of a reason a torsion axle shouldn't work just dandy👍
Too many irons in the fire

Brian_Rhoad

I have been told that torsion axles aren't rated for rough or off road applications. 

Crusarius

I used a torsion axle on my mill. it works great. and does not have the ugly road manners that my leaf sprung trailer does.

What you did with the pins is great. Sure makes getting it out of the way very easy. Especially with the stabilizer jacks right there.

beav

Wood mizer had them for the first year or maybe two way back in the dawn of portable prosumer bandmills

DeepWoods

While I don't know if Norwood is still using torsion axles on their trailer kits, my Norwood LM 2000 has removable torsion axles and I have never had a problem with them.  Although I have limited miles on my mill as it is mostly stationary.  I do like the fact that they are removable, as I don't have to walk around them while milling
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Warren

Quote from: beav on March 13, 2019, 01:03:41 PM
Wood mizer had them for the first year or maybe two way back in the dawn of portable prosumer bandmills
Yep.  My LT15 came with torsion axles that simply slid in and out with pins to lock in place.  No issues.
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Waggs

Thanks for the info. When I figure out how to post pictures I'll post them and maybe get some more pointers.

charles mann

Quote from: Percy on March 13, 2019, 12:23:30 AM
I mis interpreted the title...I thought someone used a torsion axle for blade tensioning..... That might work..... ;D
Im wondering how well it would work for tensioning. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Crusarius

Charles, you may be on to something. would be real easy to add a threaded belt tensioner to a torsion axle just to rotate it to tension the band. If you are really good you could make a cam lock system. But the threaded adjuster give you more adjust ability.

That would be pretty slick. have a built in spring for when something bad happens. could mount any band wheels to it whether you want tires, metal wheels, or wheels with belts.

Thank You Sponsors!