iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sugar shack question ...

Started by zelpatsmot, August 02, 2013, 02:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelpatsmot

Hi everyone, a family friend needs a new maple sugar shack built.

He is going to let me 'experiment' a bit with the design.

I figured this is a perfect time to try a hammerbeam.

I would like to keep it as basic (cheap) as I can except for the middle truss which will be the hammerbeam.

Board and batten siding, steel roof, concrete piers, followed by a concrete pad. No inspectors to deal with.

Ignoring all timber sizing,lack of joinery and spans..., Does anyone see any obvious flaws in this design?

No cranes/gin pole, large front end loader available, and lots of young manpower.

Thanks in advance.

zelpatsmot

approx 16',20'

16' hammerbeam

8/12 pitch

Jim_Rogers

Roof top vent should be the same size as the evaporator....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

flibob

Your design looks good.  I had hoped to moving along on something similar but not so wide by this time but time flies.  Probably end up with an easy quick Vermont Cottage type.  Where are you going to store firewood?
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

zelpatsmot

Thanks guys.
Good call on the evaporator size.

Personal satisfaction is the reason for the hammerbeam. I've been eager to build one, so this is my chance.

Axe Handle Hound

This is just a general design thought, but I would place that truss at the front end of where the evaporator will sit.  I don't know how big of an arch will go in this building, but in my experience if it's of any reasonable size the exhaust stack will likely be raging hot.  Possibly hot enough to burn the cross members of your truss even if it's a foot away.  I've seen a number of shacks that ended up wrapping the trusses/rafters around their exhaust stack with ceramic blanket to keep them from burning and that would certainly detract from your hammerbean truss appearance.  Plus, if you put it at the back it would be constantly bathed in steam which would then condense and drip back into the pan.  Not to mention the joints would be soaked.  If you place it at the front it should receive less of the Turkish bath treatment and condensation should only drip on the person firing the arch.   :)   

Thank You Sponsors!