iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will they make it??

Started by marty, April 14, 2001, 04:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

Just got back from my buddys property. He had some woodcutters in there last winter and they had ran over a bunch of his pine trees. Although most of them were laying flat on the ground they still had some green left on them. We drove post in the ground and tied them up straight. Does anyone think they make it. I know pines are pretty tuff trees. Also would it hurt to toss some fertilizer on them Maybe some 12-12-12? anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks again and Happy Easter to all of you and your families.........marty ;D :D 8) 8) :)

Jeff

Happy Easter to you too Marty, and everyone else. And special thoughts for the Ravioli Kid who lost her Mom last week. Were thinking of you Kim.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Those pines will stay green for quite a while.  I just got rid of my Christmas tree, and that was still fairly green.  It had been cut in November.

I have doubts that the pines will survive.  Most often they have been broken.  If not, the cambial layers may have been disrupted and that can cause problems.  It may take several years to know the outcome, since those pines will continue to struggle.

I'm not sure how big these pines were, but, it sounds like they were pretty small.  For my money, I would have just planted new seedlings instead of investing time in staking trees.  The new seedlings will be healthier.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

I concur with Ron. You may get poorly deformed trees also, if they survive the logging damage. Was this a pine understory to begin with? If so, others may seed in naturally if there are some parent seed trees. Otherwise, replant new ones.
~Ron

marty

These pines were mostly 6-8 feet with a few being smaller and a few larger. He's planning to buy more trees in the tree sale end of this month also. It was mostly oak in his place so with not a lot of new growth he wants to plant more trees. I think he said he went with white pines and some different spruces. Are these type trees slow growing? I told him he should try some red pines. From the ones I planted they seem to grow the fastest. I told him also that the deer seem to really chomped white pines on my place so he might have to fence them in so they can get a good start. His soil seems to be mostly a clay. Will these trees do ok there?
Thanks guys.......Marty ::)

Ron Scott

The trees should do ok. The red pine and oak will do better if its a drier soil and the white pine and spruce with a little more moisture. All should do ok however, especially if there is good growth on the existing tree species.

~Ron

marty

Thanks Ron. I opened my big mouth and told him I'd help him plant his trees. Now if my back will just hold out........Marty :-[

Bill Johnson

I too think the trees that were run over are probably toast, even if the cambium layer is intact the root system must have taken a beating.

They will more than likely hang on for a while and maybe even grow some more but like the guys have said the best thing to do is replant.

Bill
Bill

timberbeast

I agree with the others that the trees won't survive.  We could all be wrong,  though.  In my experience,  white pine grows fast once it takes hold.  As I drive the tractor out to my mill,  I generally will spot a "new top" at least once a year.  This is in the U.P. of Michigan.  They grow fast as far as height goes,  but the diameter takes a long time to get established.  I see a lot of 30 ft. tall trees which are only 4 inches or so in diameter at breast height.  These are growing in the woods,  so they grow straight and tall,  reaching for the sun.  In the open,  they'll usually branch out fast and make poor timber.
Where the heck is my axe???

Thank You Sponsors!