iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another tractor question.

Started by DanG, November 30, 2005, 09:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

This hasn't been much of an issue in the past, but now that I depend on the loader so much, it's getting important.  The problem is, my old IMT tractor has no glow plugs, and doesn't want to start if the temp is below about 50.  It isn't equipped for glow plugs, so that isn't an option.  I'm thinking a block heater of some kind is the way to go.  Anybody got a good idea that's cheap and don't involve a whole lot of work?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Fla._Deadheader

Get one a them Yankees to send ya a water block heater. Hook it to a timer instead of all night ?? I'm takin WWW's advice.  ;D :D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

Keep a light bulb in with the engine . Or maybe just warm it up with a portable heater.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DanG

WVWW, if you've ever been to Florida, you should know that the further South you go, the further North you get.  I'll just wait for the spring thaw, thanks. :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brad_S.

When it gets to 0 degrees around here, I usually have to assist the glow plugs with a small kero redi-heater. Light enough to carry in one hand, it only requires a few minutes of blowing on the block to take the edge off. Wouldn't want to go through it every day, but an occasional use is bearable.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

tnlogger

dan go to your Massey Ferguson dealer and get a block heater from them same tractor different name
just take your model # with ya  :)
gene

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Yea I get ya Dang, too many Yankees not enough grits. Second try..... heated garage ;D

ksu_chainsaw

On dad's IMT, if you turn the left hand switch (not the one you turn to start it) towards the left, it preheats the engine- not sure if that is for glowplugs or for some other type of heater.  But, it also has a block heater installed on it- I think that came from the factory- the cord for that is on the right hand side, and between the engine block and the frame

On the other hand, a coolant heater is fairly easy to install- just cut a radiator hose and clamp the heater in there.

Just like tnlogger said, massey parts are an almost exact fit- for something like that at least- just not a power steering pump- dont ask  ;D

Charles

DanG

That's a fine idea, tnlogger, and the MF dealer is a friend of mine.  The only downside is, there ain't one single thing on this whole tractor that a MF part will fit.  I bought it thinkin' the same thing, but the MF parts is all in inches but the IMT is all metric.  Even the freeze plugs are different!

Actually, the MF is probably the oddball.  It's made in England and that's a metric country. ???

I'm thinkin' a block heater is the way to go, but just don't know what to look for.  I would think that something in the water jackets would be preferable.

KSU, the whole electrical system is kaput(sp)!  The only thing that works is the starter, and I don't want to try and figger it all out.  I can't see any evidence of any kind of glow plugs or other heating devices.  There could be a block heater in there, but there ain't no cord or nuthin fancy like that.  I haven't done any research yet, but do you have a source for the heater that would fit in a radiator hose?

Ed_K

On my MF 30 industrial loader, I wraped a heat tape around the bottom radiator hose and leave it pluged in all night. Worked for me, and it was cheap.
Ed K

Bro. Noble

We have heaters of various types in different tractors.  What I like the best is the kind that goes in a radiator hose.  It needs to both heat and pump the water.  Takes about 20 minutes to get one to start like summertime. 

Some of our tractors have small heaters that screw into the block instead ofa freeze plug.  They are more expensive,  usually only fit that tractor,  and don't work as well as the ones in the radiator hose.

From what I've heard you for sure want to avoid heaters that heat the oil.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

woodbowl

Hey DanG, all you got to do is drain the oil out every morning, put it in a pan and heat it up on Mrs. Linda's stove, pour it back in slow so's it heats up everything before it gets to the oil pan. Drain it out again and reheat it on the stove again. Do this 3 or 4 times then try to crank it. If it doesn't crank, do it again a few more times. I haven't tried it, but I know it will work!  ;D ;D

Quote from: ksu_chainsaw on November 30, 2005, 09:28:13 PM
for something like that at least- just not a power steering pump- dont ask ;D

Hey ksu, my IMT is so hard to turn, I've been thinking about adding PS. I'm not asking, but ............ what happened with your fixin'?  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

wiam

I prefer what is called a tank heater.  They go in a 3/4 ar 5/8 line from the block to the head.  I have one that is 850 watts.  Having said that,  I do not think Dang needs one.  I can plug this heater in when it is 25 below for an hour and it will start like summer.  A block or lower radiator hose heater should be plenty. Go here http://www.valu-bilt.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=_home.htm&UID=2005113021025418  and type heater in the search box.

Will

Tom

QuoteThe problem is, my old IMT tractor has no glow plugs, and doesn't want to start if the temp is below about 50.
I can see where that could be an inconvenience because I'm the same way.  The best resolution is to go back inside and get another cup of coffee.   The day will warm up eventually and you and the tractor will work better.   :)

ksu_chainsaw

Well the PS pump exploded all over the tractor to start with  >:(  We then go into the Massey dealer where we bought the tractor new- now they don't sell any new tractors-just parts, and they give us a pump that "should fit"  We get it home, and it doesn't even look close.  We ended up ordering a Massey pump that took 6 weeks to get in- in the middle of hay season to top it off- and we had to install it upside down and backwards, and have special adaptor hoses made up to thread into all the fittings- not fun and NOT CHEAP.

And on top of all that, now only the right hand brake works, and that's just because we rigged up a pedal back to the e-brake.

The electrical system doesnt work on our tractor any more either- except for the starter switch. Dad just put in another switch that bypassed the other switch on the dash.

I'm not sure where Dad got the heater- just that it was cheap and easy to put on-his truck was eating them up quickly.  I would check a farm supply store, or a local diesel shop, or a truck stop- they usually know where a good local diesel mech is.

Charles

DanG

Weeksville, I think you've come up with a winner.  Looks easy to install and only costs twenty bucks.  How can ya beat that? ;D 8) 8) 8)  Thanks!

KSU, you only have sympathy from me.  I figgered out what IMT stands for...Ignorant Man's Tractor.  ;D ;) :D  Everything on this tractor has pretty much crapped out, except for the engine.  The hydraulics are completely gone, so I put on a PTO pump to run the loader.  I did manage to get the PTO to work again, but got no 3-pt lift. :-\  The brakes are totally shot, including the e-brake.  I hafta keep it on the level, which isn't hard to do here, but brakes would be really nice.  Tom sent me a link for a parts place.  I'll paste it into a PM to you.

sawguy21

Quote from: ksu_chainsaw on November 30, 2005, 09:28:13 PM

On the other hand, a coolant heater is fairly easy to install- just cut a radiator hose and clamp the heater in there.

Charles
These things are easy to install, very common here in the Great White North, and plug into the wall outlet. Just don't let the coolant run low or the heater will burn out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

UNCLEBUCK

DanG , my old ford backhoe will not start when the temp gets below 50 outside and it also has no glows or heaters so I take a can of ether starting fluid and spray a 2 second pull on the can up by the air filter and then walk back and hit the key and fires right off. I dont pre-heat any diesel unless it gets way below freezing . A overload of ether can bust rings but it takes a whole lot to . About 80 cents a bottle for ether and I bet a bottle of ether would last you all winter .  Whats IMT?  Is that the hootie? ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

DanG

I keep some ether on hand, but try not to use it too much.  The IMT is a Yugoslavian knock-off of the Massey Ferguson.  They would buy MF's casting and sheet metal designs after MF changed to a new style, then market a tractor that looked just like an MF.  The castings are made lighter and from lesser quality materials, and all the holes are drilled differently, so the parts from MF won't fit.  Hence the name, "Improved Massey Tractor."  Not only is the company now defunct, the country is, too.  There are a couple of after-market companies making parts now, but they are expensive.

tawilson

NAPA sells a magnetic 110v heater. Sometimes when it's real cold I stick to the bottom of the oil pan or transmission just to warm the oil up a bit in addition to the block heater. Putting a blanket over the hood helps the heater do it's job too. The magnetic heater is handy cause I can put it on other things like my woodsplitter to get it a little warmer before starting. I think it was around $35.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Ed_K

When the tractor is out on a job with no power source,I put a blanket over the engine compartment and heat it with a charcoal grill  ;D.
Ed K

jgoodhart

My JD just has steel tube that runs to the intake manifold and a place on the dash to plug a bottle of starting fluid in to with a cap that screws on it works real good. When it real cold it has external block heater hooked up with 3/4" hoses and thats good for 2 cups of coffee. Sticking a starting fluid tube on would be easy just matter of drilling and tapping a hole in the manifold and running tube back to where it is in reach when you are sitting on the seat.

jimbo

go to Tractor Supply thay have difrent types than can rang fron magnetic to  tank  or dip stick  any of them would work  whear you are just fine

jimbo

Thank You Sponsors!