iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I really wanted to know the grit story;

Started by Skytramp, December 05, 2005, 08:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skytramp

I'll try this one more time, I am relatively new here, and must have missed a really good story about grits.  I haven't a clue how grits got to be frankfurters, the real ones made from real corn but what ever floats your boat.
     My Alabama mother wouldn't have searved breakfast without including grits on the fare.  They wasn't any sugar and milk on them either.  Grits are served with salt, pepper and butter, and cornbread with sugar in it, is cake, and the only kind of cornmeal in our house was stoneground.  I guess it is just what you are accustomed to.
At risk of getting another Civil War battle started I will relate another favorite of mine.

An early 1900s Southern Senator Hoar used to tell a story of a friend that had just returned home from a trip to New England and who said to his friend: "You know those little white round beans?"
"Yes," replied the friend, "the kind we feed to our horses?"
     The very same.  Well, do you know, sir, that in Boston the enlightened citizens take those little white, round beans, boil them for three or four hours, mix them with molasses and I know not what other ingredients, bake them and then---what do you suppose they do with the beans?"
     "They---."
     "They eat 'em, sir!" interrupted the first southerner impressively, "bless me, sir, they eat "em!"

Skytramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey there Skytramp. If you do a FF search on grits you will be AMAZED :o at the number of referances to them here, some like em (like me :) ) and some dont  ( like MANY of our northern members). But it always makes a good topic of conversation.

Hope this helps some.
Don't spread it around but I think Jeff dont like em too much

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

woodbowl

Skytramp, do a search on "grit,s". There's just too much to tell and more comming out all the time. Go back as far as you dare. ............. In short, most southerners love em. A lot of northerners love em' too but won't admit it. Instead they like to poke fun and talk about putting sugar and syrup on them to get them down. Southerners enjoy being poked at but make out like they don't so they can stirr it some more. There's one southerner that loves grit,s more than anyone. I got a feeling yer gona' meet him very soon. ........... Also, pull up the old post about how you got your user name and add yerself to the list.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

crtreedude

Some of us just can't handle the truth about grits. Did you know they used to soak corn in SOAP first? (Lye - the same stuff my mom used to clean collars...)

When someone tells me grits are good if you bury them under enough stuff - I figure that is true for almost anything that won't kill you if you put it in your mouth.

Fred - living in a Grits free country - until FDH shows up with his 5 gallon pail...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Burlkraft

Here in Wisconsin we make make our grits from ground up bits of cheese :D :D :D :D

Then we put beer on them 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dan_Shade

there is truly one post on grits that stands high above the other posts, I can't remember the title of the post, but it has a bunch of pictures of Jeff making grits and sampling them.

i still chuckle when I think about it :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rbjones03

What most northerner don't understand is that grits ain't cream of wheat or oatmeal. Grits is grits. They are a vehicle for other flavors like eggs over easy, Sausage, bacon and cheese. Butter, salt and pepper are a good start but your just beginning to explore the possibilities, like sawmill gravy, redeye gravy, or even ham hocks.  8) 8) 8)
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey anyone know what grits are made of?

I love grits.
grits loves me.
I love what Jeff does to grits  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

Grits is what keeps Yankees from being real men, like us southren boys.  We also drink some stuff made from ground up bits of corn, and fry stuff in ground up bits of corn, and feed our bar-b-que on ground up bits of corn.  'course, there are some that would shed scorn on G-R-I-T-S, but not a southren gentleman who knows that grits is what keeps that fair complection on our southren woman folk, and the spring in the step of our older folk.  Why, grits was used to shore up that levy in New Orleans, dropped them big bags in and they swole up like a poisoned pup and stopped them leaks.  (Ya got to be careful about under cooking grits, they can do the same to you) 

Grits keep ya regular, keep the blood pure, build stong bone and muscle.  why they even cure the common cold!  Use em dry as a compress on cuts.  Throw some in soup to thicken it up. 

Why grits is a natural wonder of this world. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Engineer

SwampDonkey

Quote from: rbjones03 on December 06, 2005, 02:15:27 PM
What most northerner don't understand is that grits made from ground up bits of corn ain't cream of wheat or oatmeal. grits made from ground up bits of corn is grits made from ground up bits of corn. They are a vehicle for other flavors like eggs over easy, Sausage, bacon and cheese. Butter, salt and pepper are a good start but your just beginning to explore the possibilities, like sawmill gravy, redeye gravy, or even ham hocks.  8) 8) 8)

Doesn't sound like something too tasty if ya gotta add all that extra stuff before ya store forking it in. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Ah yes!  Manna from heaven.  A person must be naturally sophisticated, intelligent and one of God's chosen few to be blessed with an appetite for this culinary delight.  You may thrash and flail all you wish but it will out in the end.  Those without annointment will swell and burst upon the earth and never reach the blessed land of the appointed. 

It's Southern!  It's gotta be good.  :P 8)

Daren

I have read just about all the grits threads since I have been here (about a year?), I have had them and didn't throw up. But they really hit home this weekend. I called my brother Sunday morning to chat, he moved to Tampa Fla. 1 1/2 yrs ago to work in a marina. We are born and raised Illinois northerners. Any way I asked him what he was up to and he said he was heading to a boat show, said it was a real nice one with tons of free food and drink... So all he was having for breakfast was a couple pieces of bacon and some GRITS. He said he eats them all the time, he went 30 years and had maybe 3 helpings of them. Now he eats them like it was normal food? I think the boy is turning southern, if he says "Y'all" next time I call I will probably drop the phone. I previewed this before I posted I noticed Jeff has done that "mess with the word" thing again like Yooper Day just making it dashes, I am going to dig up that old post with the pic of him setting in front of a mess of grits now to see if they were having a negative effect on him.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Daren on December 06, 2005, 06:40:12 PM
I think the boy is turning southern, if he says "Y'all" next time I call I will probably drop the phone.

It won't be long Daren ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

I find grits very useful in scaring the locals. After all, I want them to think I am tough. I just sit down to a plate of grits and they just stare at them - they can't imagine anyone would eat them.

I tell them that many people in the USA eat them because they don't have anything better to eat. The workers felt so bad that they wanted to send up a care package of some Gallo Pinto.  ::)

Doncha think I am doing a good job preparing them for Harold?  :D

SwampDonkey

Tell Harold if'n he gets to starvin' I'll send him down a few bags of them white skinned beans, along with a jug of mollasses. Surely he can find a cook with some ginger and powdered mustard. For best results, soak the beans over night. ;D

crtreedude

SwampDonkey,

It is hard to starve down here - or freeze. Tends to help a feller relax. Hasn't caught up with me yet, but I see signs of cutting it back to only 10 hours a day...

If you are hungry, there is fruit all over the place, and in the country, eggs are just about free - the hens never stop laying (they are afraid, a hen that stops laying is called pollo frito - fried chicken!)

So many good things to eat, we might just get him weaned off Grits... We have plenty of beans too, red or black.

And FRESH TOMATOES ALL YEAR!

SwampDonkey

crtreedude, I just picked up some Costa Rican medium roast coffee.

;D ;D ;D ;D

tnlogger

wal now ya'll know the only thing bettern GrItS is the stump water ya can chase um with  ;D
gene

SwampDonkey

crtreedude

Ah, coffee - the necter of the gods...

The truth is that I had to move to Costa Rica to get near my supply...

SwampDonkey

crtreedude

You all do realize that India is no threat whatsoever when it comes to outsourcing software development - but Costa Rica?

My friends, the coffee here is wonderful - I have an expresso maker and it is ambrosia - strong but smooth. Sigh. I may never sleep again!  8)

tnlogger

gene

SwampDonkey

I think they may be slip'n something extra in the coffee. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!