iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT-50 Weight Capacity

Started by E-Tex, April 25, 2018, 08:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

I'm going to look at a few big logs Friday.

The biggest logs are:
14 foot Red Oak.  36" on large end and 32" on small end.
15 foot Water Oak.  30" from end to end
Has a big Pecan too (not sure of size)

He has a forklift to load the logs as I'm certain my loader arms will not lift the big logs.  These are the largest logs I will have tackled so far.

Using my "Log App"..... these logs will weigh 5000-6000 pounds.

He wants 2.5" thick, Dual Live-Edge slabs
He'll have fork lift and a couple workers.
I Plan to use 4* (where did the degree symbol go?)

1.  Will my LT-50 wide handle the weight of these logs?
2.  Still learning, so any other advice welcome.

Thanks!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

L2 Sawmill LLC

WV Sawmiller

Tex,

On page 26 of my WM Portable Sawmills and Wood Processing Equipment booklet there is a footnote in the bottom left that says:

** Max Log capacity 4,400 lbs (1,995 kg)

The manual does not distinguish any difference between wide and regular LT50. I assume they use the same log loading system.

Hope that answers your question. Good luck.

Add'l comment - the reference does not distinguish between log loading, turning and weight load on the frame.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Im confident your loader arms will pick them up.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

E-Tex

thanks WV

let me ask it this way:

1. would you experienced sawyers put 6000# on your Lt50?
2. will the log turner and clamp be able to move this weight and 36" log?

thanks

......I think I can do it.  but I've been known to tear some things up before too!
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

I get ~5650lb on that 14' log.  Yes, I have done it and No, it is not fun.  I have to use the claw turner and the log clamp in tandem to lift the log and then move the clamp out letting the weight of the log against the claw gradually turn the log.

You will also have to slowly lower the side supports to allow the log to roll to the left so that it will clear the right blade guide.  Be Careful.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

... and spray some soapy water on your bed rails and side stops just before you try to turn the log. It helps :).

PS: The ° symbol is just before ¼ ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

YellowHammer

You also have the option of splitting big logs with a chainsaw.  Commonly done even at the big mills here.  Customsawyer did a demo, and he makes it look easy.  He very routinely does it on big logs.  I do it also and don't make it look easy, but it is an effective way to trim the weight and make big logs manageable for us LTNotWide guys.     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Joed

You said dual live edge.

Will your WM LT50 cut that wide?
Valley Big Green Monster

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Joed on April 26, 2018, 07:35:40 AM
You said dual live edge.

Will your WM LT50 cut that wide?
He will get live edge on each side of each slab until he reaches the max width of the saw opening. Then Flip the log and do the same thing. Should be some nice slabs

firefighter ontheside

I don't know how wide an LT50 Wide cuts, but he did say he had a wide.

1.  Will my LT-50 wide handle the weight of these logs?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I have the same issue turning big logs. He has the chain turner on the LT50 and I don't know if it does a better job than our claws.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yup I have no idea but I suspect that the hydraulic motor on the chain turner has much more "power" than the cylinder on the claw turner.  If it can't turn it, it (Tom) I guess that it will look like a giant chainsaw.  :o  :D

I also sometimes use the toe boards to reduce/change the sawmill bed friction.

My mine is racing toward that 44" beast that I agreed to saw next week.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

WIDE is rated for max-cut 34.5" I think.

i'll get good measurements in person, hopefully tomorrow. may have to trim some bark.

I hope I can "sqeeze" buy but I know it can be difficult lining it up just right to fit between the guides.

i'll keep ya'll informed.

I am for sure worried about the weight.
L2 Sawmill LLC

firefighter ontheside

I would expect that it is rated to at least handle the widest log that fits and then some just for safety sake.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just take your time like I do....and yep, it will squeeze through.  :)

Stuart Caruk

I put several Doug fir logs 32" in diameter and 21' long on my LT35, and routinely slap 36" x 21'+ on my LX450. Those logs exceed the ability of my large tracked Bobcat to load, so I have to load them with a log deck and loader.

The mill has no problem handling the weight. To some extent, the log itself provides structure and strength, it just needs to be supported. As long as you don't drop the log onto the mill, you should be fine. 

What gets you with larger logs is that you always seem to need just a couple more inches of room. The blade doesn't go high enough, the blade guides are too close. The debarker is in the way. A claw turner won't roll a decent sized log far enough, so you need to use the clamp as well. On my 450, I haven't found a log I can't easily roll yet, and I max my mill out all the time.

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

PAmizerman

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 26, 2018, 01:40:53 AM
You also have the option of splitting big logs with a chainsaw.  Commonly done even at the big mills here.  Customsawyer did a demo, and he makes it look easy.  He very routinely does it on big logs.  I do it also and don't make it look easy, but it is an effective way to trim the weight and make big logs manageable for us LTNotWide guys.    
Like this?
Splitting a big ash log!! - YouTube
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

That's impressive, better than a stick of dynamite.

Here's an old thread, blast from the past.
Quartering a Big Southern Red Oak Log in Sawmills and Milling
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!