iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ford 550 backhoe control valve help

Started by 47sawdust, November 22, 2016, 07:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

The four stick valve on my backhoe has started acting up.All functions work as they should except for the digging bucket and the swing left.The curl in works but the curl out only works if I crack the lift valve slightly.The swing right works as it should.Both of the problem functions happen as I push the control lever away from me. I am new to backhoe controls and don't know what might cause this.A town road foreman said it was a pretty common problem,but didn't offer a solution.The 550 is 1976 vintage and the predecessor of the 555.
Thanks for your help,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

North River Energy

Are the connector links between levers and spools really loose, to the point that you can't get full throw?

47sawdust

NRE,
Good thought, I will check that out when it warms up a bit.Thanks
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

47sawdust

Turns out there are only 2 bolts that hold the valve assembly to the floor of the backhoe.One had loosened and was hidden by the floor mat.It kept the two levers controlling the opening of the bucket and the left swing from having enough throw to actuate the valves.
I was thinking hydraulic problem but thanks to NRE I started thinking linkage and all is good.
Thanks again,who do I send the check to?
Mick

North River Energy

You're welcome. Glad that worked out for you, and thanks for reporting back with the solution.

A few years ago, a co-worker was lamenting his 'dead' car during the lunch hour. Ran fine on the way to work that day, but now wouldn't start.
I told him it was the fuel pump fuse.
He bet me it wasn't.
We walked out to the lot, I gave the fuse a twist (after first verifying the no-start condition), and the car started.
He wasn't thrilled to hand over the $100, but that was a lot cheaper than what he would have payed for a tow.

Point being, always check the free and simple stuff first.

If ever we meet, you can get the coffee. Otherwise, help another in need when you can. ;D

47sawdust

A donation has been made to the Forum for all the help I have received over the years.The collective brain trust here is invaluable.
Mick

thecfarm

I had a Co-op teacher that had 2 pieces of advice,
If all else fails,read the directions.
If you get a flat on a car,check the fuses.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!