Tree ID.

Started by jerry sundberg, September 28, 2018, 06:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry sundberg

While driving in Iowa SW part I noticed a lot of shrubby type of trees that look like Cedar at a glance but, when up close they have blue berries on them. Are these Junipers? Are the easy to grow from seed? They look to be Deer proof maybe.
Farmall  man

Southside

Red cedar does have a blue berry on it, and yes technical they are actually a juniper, not a cedar.  The berries need to be altered before they will germinate. In nature it's the process of going through a birds stomach that does it but soaking in citric acid can have the same result.

Digging up seedlings would be an easier way to get some if you want them. They are slow growing.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jerry sundberg

I would love to dig up a few but, Duluth is no where near them and with out permission I would be in trouble. If anyone has any that they could spare I would be willing to pay for  shipping. I'm talking about six plants ( 6-8" tall ).
Farmall  man

nativewolf

Somewhat deer proof, they are natives used to deer browse so the deer are unlikely to kill them.  They will grow quickly in good soil/water conditions and get to 60' tall but that is a big cedar.  Most top out at 30-40' and are very attractive,  Easy to order online, you could probably get from a state forest service nursery for a couple of dollars for smaller ones.  Deer browse the bottom 4-6' in SW virginia  but in other areas they won't touch cedar at all.  

Where's home?  Also, they prefer not to have wet feet.  They are drought tolerant though.
Liking Walnut

jerry sundberg

Home is Duluth Mn. I'll see if I can find some on the net.
Farmall  man

lxskllr

They grow like weeds around here. I have them lining my driveway from plants I dug up at work. I also took to using them as jul trees. They don't have the traditional shape, but the dark green color is attractive, and they remind me of my uncle who used to cut them on his farm for his tree. One year I was cutting a tree with a handsaw right around dusk. Heard some noises I didn't pay close attention to, then heard a fairly loud hiss, and something with some size fell right in front of my face :^O  It was a bat that was hanging in the tree. Wasn't expecting that  :^D

samandothers

Growing up in southern Va we would always get a cedar off the farm.  Sure smelled great, Christmasy. But man decorating was a labor of love.  They would be scratchy for sure!

Clark

There are several growing along Hwy 23 between Fond du Lac and Gary/New Duluth. There might be a couple seeding in (I hope not!) that you could possibly...ahem...borrow. If not, it would be worth the drive just to see what they look like growing in these parts. You may change your mind.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

jerry sundberg

I'll have a look see this week end.
Farmall  man

moodnacreek

Here in s. new York state the deer only eat red cedar when they are starving.  An interesting thing about this tree is that it grows 2 types of foliage on the same tree. When you cut one down the top foliage doesn't match the lower.

KEC

In Central New York, deer browse heavily (and thrive) on Northern White Cedar and various cultivars of it when it is cold and snowy. They also like Yew.  Other Cedars, not so much.    Most of the time deer leave whatever kind of Juniper it is that is planted in yards alone. When they do eat Juniper they are hurting for their preffered foods.