iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of log is this?

Started by 1crowfarm, January 12, 2012, 11:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1crowfarm

I have a tree that I cut up into logs this morning only problem is I dont believe it is a Poplar tree at all but maybe a Ash but Iam not 100percent on that either.
I drug this log out of a pile of logs that where left behind from a pipeline ROW so I didnt see the tree standing . here are the pic

beenthere

Looks to me at first glance like a soft maple.

Bark doesn't look right in the last pic for soft maple, but pics are hard to get the "feel" of it.

Doesn't look like ash however.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1crowfarm

1crowfarm

The last pic is of the stump cut and the other pic where the bark has kinda of a slightly smoother bark in places and a diiferent look  are the third and fourth logs I cut one 16' log and two 12' logs and two 8' logs  the top log being 14" on the small end  and the stump cut being about 22" on the small end. So we are looking at a log that was almost 60' long and only 8" inches between the first log and the last log.
I know its not a pine log theres no sap

banksiana

What part of the world?  Also, upland or lowland?  Looks to me like red maple too, but I need more clues.

1crowfarm

Oh sorry about that Iam in South western PA  The heart of hardwood country

Chuck White

The one with the smoother bark looks like it may be an upper log from an oak!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

1crowfarm

I cut all the logs in the picture from the same tree this morning

1crowfarm

Quote from: 1crowfarm on January 12, 2012, 03:10:12 PM
I cut all the logs in the picture from the same tree this morning
and it isnt a Oak I'd say its even a lighter log than a Poplar but close to same weight as a poplar

SwampDonkey

Basswood ain't it? Rougher on the but log, gets smoother on up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Looks a lot like basswood to me too.

shelbycharger400

im guessing basswood or cottonwood.. would need a picture of it cut apart to tell

SwampDonkey

The middle log in the second picture looks quite fibrous like basswood would be. You should be able to rip long strips of bark off. It's what they used to make rope from. I know the bark is kind of orangey when exposed.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

Looks like Aspen or Cottonwood to me.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Jeff

Id say almost certainly aspen.  That second photo, middle log of the log end with the knot showing on the cut end to me screams aspen,
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Here's an upper log from a  basswood in the barn. It's covered in dust. Has orange marking paint on the end grain there.

Our mature aspen have flattened ridges to the bark and they're around and 1" wide. Mature balm goes that way to.

SwampDonkey

There's a strip of bark laying on top there about 3" wide and a couple limbs there to the right. The flashlight is shining a spot on another basswood log.

bull

quacking aspen,cottonwood,poplar they are all sisters !! dosen't look like basswood to me !!

Jeff

Nope, doesn't look a think like basswood to me either.

SwampDonkey

This is what our aspen looks like.

Wide flat ridges in the bark.

The young ones are smooth and green or pinkish hue. Some bleached white like white birch. Our large tooth have white blotches like on sugar maple.

SwampDonkey

This is why I often say bark don't mean beans unless it's a tree whose bark traits your used to in that area. It can be all over the map. ;)

Jeff

We have aspen that looks like that as well, depends on the site.  That stuff you posted is what we locally call "White poppel". The terminology is completely wrong, but that's what its called here, and its considered junk compared to anything else.

Jeff

I was trying to find some old photos of aspen logs on our log deck, but all I could find was this, and it really doesn't give you a good comparison view.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2535.0.html

SwampDonkey

Jeff I never posted any "white poplar", but there is some just behind here on a neighbors line. And they have never grown in 30 years it seems. The ones I posted is one that is over mature with the dead branches, rough looking and one in cedar stand. The old one is junk because of the conk all over it, but the cedar one is sound and a fine tree. Actually the old one was in a  cedar stand to I guess, but the cedar was cut. ;) We hulled over 300 cords of that "junk" to the mill in 1984, down in Houltan, Maine. ;)

Hard to see when debarked. ;)

1crowfarm

I think it is basswood I unloaded it off of the log deck tonight and put back into a pile untill I kind find out for sure what it is.
I noticed that a piece of bark came off of one of the logs and it peeled off in a very long piece probably 6 or 7' long.
I wonder if there is a market for them around PA I will have to make a couple of calls tomorrow and find out I will let you all know what I find out.
I may cut one of the top logs into 1" boards and put some pictures of it on here

SwampDonkey

I knew it had to be, poplar won't strip off like that. I've not seen aspen bark go orange.

Know anyone who carves? Sometimes those guys are a fussy lot, but basswood is nice to carve or wood burning art.

1crowfarm

Quote from: Jeff on January 12, 2012, 07:04:47 PM
I was trying to find some old photos of aspen logs on our log deck, but all I could find was this, and it really doesn't give you a good comparison view.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2535.0.html

Jeff thats what I thought it was to at first(white poppel) my dad use to call it
I even went up on the hill to look at some but its just not the same besides I've never seen Poppel grow that big around here.

1crowfarm

Hey guys is this basswood good for siding or sheating boards ?
What else is it good for besides carving and furniture?

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't use it outside. But others might have more experience in it's use than I. It's always cut for pulpwood here.

Jeff

Aspen will certainly strip off in long pieces.  If the bark stripped off is stringy and almost resembles binder twine, then its basswood. it its just a long strip of bark with semi smooth edges, then its not.

Clark

My initial thought was aspen but given the location and the condition, who knows?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

isawlogs

I don't see basswood there , I see a poplar.  I have yet to see a basswood look like the first pic, but have seen many poplar log have that look. Also have seen many strips of bark come off a poplar log.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodcrazy

Looks like red alder, that is if your area has any, northern California has lots.
           woodcrazy
I miss the milling -- may try planeing -- or developing my Minnesota lakeshore

SwampDonkey

Aspen doesn't have the strength for the bark to strip off length wise for several feet. It'll peel far easier in circumference than it will strip. And I never see aspen bark like that. :D

Jeff

I hate to tell a guy with a degree they are wrong, but you sir are wrong on your assumption on the bark. ;) I'm certain you know what your trees do, I can't judge that, but on ours, I certainly can. You can't take your model and make it everyone's.  I fought aspen and aspen bark half my life. I know what the heck I'm talking about in regards to several million feet that passed before me.

SwampDonkey

It's just not as reliable as buds, twigs, flowers and wood grain when dealing with a wide ranging species. Locally, with experience most fellas know their logs and standing trees. I've seen the difficulty on this forum when comparing the same species in the north with that in the south. Just like our cherry bark, it looks a lot different in other places to the south. About the only thing that looks like aspen in those photos is the white wood. I'll have to go to the UP and show ya your bark ain't orange. ;) A degree won't factor much into bark ID, experience over rules. ;)

Our balsam poplar when it gets beyond mature has real rough deep bark and flat ridges, but does go orange. That might be a possible fit here. Western black cottonwood is pretty much the same. Recognizing that these are logs from a much younger tree than I am describing. A younger tree bark is quite different in comparison.

1crowfarm

I will take the camero with me today and see if I cant get to that strip of bark and take it apart some for pictures but we had a quick freeze come through last night and its only 18 gegrees out there right now  :o so it might be next week when it warms up again

SwampDonkey

That's still warm, cold is 20 below. :D

Dodgy Loner

All the southern boys are sitting this one out, I see :D. We don't have true poplar around here. Just yellow-poplar (aka tuliptree). We do have basswood in limited areas, but the bark looks a lot different from your northern stuff. I won't be of much help on this thread. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jeff

Do you have a picture of a board? Even Basswood and Aspen lumber will look very similar until you see the knots in the lumber.  Basswood has knots with very distinct defined edges, where as aspen knots will usually have color spreading from the knot edges which are not nearly as defined.

SwampDonkey

That's OK dodgy because I've seen a person that should know, confuse balsam poplar for red oak. And had the log(s) right there to look at. And swear up and down it was red oak. And cut them where no red oak was present down on a wet flood plain. You just gotta walk away.   ;D

Jeff

I've also seen a high school shop teacher confuse balsam poplar for red oak. One of my cousins. I went to the old farm and he had a couple sections of short 4 foot logs in his truck. He was going to take the "Red Oak" home and cut it into boards on the shop band saw for a personal project.

WDH

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 13, 2012, 10:09:59 AM
All the southern boys are sitting this one out, I see :D. We don't have true poplar around here. Just yellow-poplar (aka tuliptree). We do have basswood in limited areas, but the bark looks a lot different from your northern stuff. I won't be of much help on this thread. :)

:)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Jeff is right on the money. That's Aspen.

Aspen has so many different looks to it's bark, it can fool you. But that deeply furrowed look to the lower part of the tree is common. Sometimes you have to look up to the top of the tree to be sure what it is, but after seeing a lot of Aspen go down in front of my harvester, I know it's aspen. And definately not Basswood.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 12, 2012, 06:46:17 PM
This is what our aspen looks like.

Wow, that one wins a prize. The Lyle Lovett of aspen trees.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Yeah the second one is a nasty widow maker with lot a lateral limbs. It was over mature and full of conk. I wouldn't take a saw anywhere near that thing. ;D The picture was for the bark, not for the beauty. :D It's also over 30" dbh. The first was 26 inches dbh as I recall.

Aspen logs here that are up to 14 or 18 inches have smooth green/gray with some white sections or pinkish hue bark beyond 5 or 6 feet of the but. Like this. Unless its the white barked ones that never seem to grow much on higher elevation. This is at the point where the bark is starting to separate into ridges. This tree is around 14" and probably 35 years old. I have a 10" in the back yard and the bark is more green at 25 years of age.

That tree has enough logs from it that you would see some of the traits on up the tree. I don't see it, so can't agree to aspen. ;)

I don't consider these junk when you get as much for pulp as veneer for them. That's why no one bothers to separate it because of the extra handling costs for nothing.

I think you'll find that the variance you see in the bark is hybridization and between species of poplar. I've been to Jeff property I saw aspen just like what I see here in NB. Not even a second guess. I also see it across northern Ontario. ;)

Jeff

The aspen in the U.P. on my property, would not be typical to what we see at this latitude. Although we have some that looks like that, is can have a very different appearance from site to site. Some can even look like white birch from a distance.  It would be rare for us to confuse a basswood log with Aspen. Ash, yes. Basswood looks quite a bit like ash in log form with the bark on. New yard guys at the mill would always confuse it.

SwampDonkey

Yes, as I said your aspen grows like here. We have those white barked aspen that look like white birch to. But you would still not confuse it, or I wouldn't. ;)

As far as basswood goes it grows with white ash and hard maple up here and I wouldn't confuse it for ash, but instead some folks confuse it for hard maple. My father for one. ;)

I think it might just be the color or photography angle in the pictures, but sure looks like basswood bark.

MM has a bunch of photos of aspen in CO from his hunting excursions and they have the white bark.

Dale Hatfield

No doubt Its aspen.  We  often see 2 kinds of aspen smooth wood and fuzzy wood.  when ya buck a log you will see what is fuzzy or smooth.
Funny is the fuzzy one will often hold a hinge better than the smooth wood. But neither will hold much for side lean.
Jeff is spot on I have seen everything he has said in aspen as well.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Dana

I thought we had the answer two pages ago so I didn't reply. Since the debate is still on I say it's Aspen or what we locally call popple.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

isawlogs

SD is having trouble acknowledging that his books don't have the answer... It's OK Bill, every once in a while one misses and gets a strike , you've hit so many out of the park this one we"ll let pass  ;D

It has poplar written all over it.  The fact that it is a year old on the ground is deceiving. Sorry Bill... it's poplar , I can't tell ya what kind of poplar aint that smart but its in that  family tree.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

1crowfarm

Hello folks I plan on sawing tomorrow god willing I have three or four Poplar logs on the log deck to saw before I saw these ? logs up I will take lots of pictures and post them on here .I'am thinking that these logs are Aspen now from the last picture that was posted on here.
Hopefully we can solve this mystery with some pictures of the boards cut from this logs  ;D

SwampDonkey

Marcel it was based purely on experience. Never saw aspen with basswood bark before. ;D What I showed for aspen is what we got, simple as that. If I'm wrong that's fine, never bothered me before. ;) Anyone that would get worked up over a darn tree has some issues. ;)

MapleNut

It is aspen...you can tell by the smell!! ;)
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 17, 2012, 12:31:00 PM
Never saw aspen with basswood bark before. ;D

We are now in agreement! Because on the other hand, I've never saw aspen basswood with basswood aspen bark before.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, what do they call that? cancelled reciprication or something? Well they should anyway. :D

WDH

You are the Yin and he is the Yang  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Yep, a couple of ying yangs.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Now that we've resolved that, what's next? ;D

isawlogs

Bill, no one is getting upset over a tree, surely not I  ;) :D   :D

Marcel

Paul_H

Bill should be in politics,his admission of being wrong seems ambiguous. ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

zopi

Four pages on the worlds largest forestry forum to decide what kind of log that is...now, that's funny! lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jeff

Why would that be so funny?

Swamp Donkey may still have the last laugh. Its pretty tough sitting here looking at ambiguous photos and come up with a definitive answer. I'll bet if Donk and I were standing next to the actual logs to examine them, we would come up with a common consensus.

WDH

isawlogs

Most definitely would come up with it being " log "  :P

Marcel

zopi

Just giving you guys a hard time...my answer...notsweetgum.

Anybody try the Google Goggles App for identifying by bark? I have tried it with leaves with a fair bit of success...it still will not tell the difference between red maple amd norway maple for some reason...never thought to try it on bark.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

JohnW

OneWithWood

My first thought was aspen.

But if that log sat a while I would be inclined to say upper log of box elder...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

NMFP

This is definately Aspen.  In the one picture, there is a brown stain on the end of the log.  That is discolored hearwood.  I see it all the time, especially when sawing big aspens and cottonwoods.

mad murdock

I just wanna see some boards outta those logs!  For my.02 worth, it looks like aspen to me too.  Basswood that I have cut in n. Wisconsin and the U P looks too different.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

wheelinguy

looks like a poplar that has been down a while, we burn alot of it in our OWB, seems like the bark would look different if it were basswood.  I think everyone is dying to know.  Not sure if we have aspen around here so i guess i wouldn't know what it looks like.

beenthere

The OP said pics after the Jan 17 sawing.

Not seen any, or heard from him.

Hope all is okay.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

saltydog

looks like bamagilia to me or as yoopers call it elephant bark popple.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Jeff

No, not really close to Balm of Gilead.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JohnW

I cut a couple logs that looked just exactly like that a couple years ago.  It would be crazy if it's not bass wood because that's the reason I cut it.  A wood carver guy I know was looking for  was looking for some bass wood.  These trees were blown down on my Dad's farm in Norther Indiana.  The dead leaves looked like bass.  I'll have to check with the wood cutter guy, and look at the remaining tress at my Dad's.  I know, I have no way to confirm they're the same trees as in these pictures.

I don't really see any aspen around here, or up north except quaking aspen.  Maybe there's a few trees I just don't notice.  Any way, I'll be interested to see if there's any conclusion here.

Later, and sorry to ramble so.

Jeff

say_what
QuoteThe dead leaves looked like bass.

SwampDonkey

Jeff

I came across a guy one time that was told and actually made to believe that Basswood was called Basswood because of the smell.

SwampDonkey

You meet all kinds in this business.  ;D

JohnW

Of course I don't mean the leaves looked like fish -- I mean they looked like basswood leaves.

So why do they call linden, basswood?  Could it be that it was in demand for carving fishing lures?

WDH

"Bark

It is known in the trade as basswood, particularly in North America. This name originates from the inner fibrous bark of the tree, known as bast. A very strong fibre is obtained from this, by peeling off the bark and soaking in water for a month, after which the inner fibres can be easily separated. Bast obtained from the inside of the bark of the Tilia tree has been used by the Ainu people of Japan to weave their traditional clothing, the attus. Similar fibres are obtained from other plants are also called bast, named after those from the Tilia: see Bast fibre."

From Wikipedia.

SwampDonkey

Natives used it to make rope just as they did on the west coast from western red cedar bark. You can peel really long strips off and it's strong.

Magicman

And I was told by a logger that Linden was Linwood, or more properly "Lynwood" and was named after me.  So now you know the "rest of the story".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

We would never saw basswood in the latter part of the day at the mill because of its twining attributes and fear of fire because of our debarker. When debarking basswood the bark fibers will come off like binder twine and can get wrapped around the cutter head shaft. The friction created easily dries the fibers and sets them on fire. There have been mills burned to the ground because of basswood. You never want to walk away at the end of the day after debarking that stuff without a thorough cleaning and inspection of the debarker. We kept a water extinguisher in the debarker cab just in case. Sometimes you had to get out after every log and unwind the stuff.

WDH

Was it especially worse in the spring when the bark peels off easily?

Jeff

Actually, in the spring when it is really peeling, its better, because you can pull it off in sheets. You hit the log with the debarker turn heads, and many times the bark would peel off in a sheet. Shallow up on the cutter head, so you don't grind off any wood, and keep spinning the log through while you back the sheet of bark back off the infeed conveyor.

Corley5

The pulp mills around here would only take basswood in the winter when it was frozen because of the de-barking issues with Rosser head machines.  LP in Newberry only recently installed a cambio ring debarker which can handle basswood year round  8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Okrafarmer

Well since I saw it was from Pennsylvania and had reddish bark I was going to say black birch. Which is why I am not an expert. Next best guess-- well, if it were here in my state, I would say sweet gum, because sweet gum has a habit of camouflaging itself to look like any other kind of tree....
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!