iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak or Post Oak?

Started by Magicman, January 18, 2012, 05:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After I finished sawing his logs and was tallying up, the customer commented that this was the first time that he had ever had Post Oak sawed.  I had to tell him, "Marvin, that was Cherrybark Red Oak, not Post Oak".  He was surprised, embarrassed, and confused.  "Show me the difference", so we had to take a walk and go to school.

The Red Oaks have pointy leaves, and Post Oak is in the White Oak family and has rounded leaves. 

Now I'll be going back and sawing Post Oak for his trailer decking.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

Ahh, but a black oak shade leaf looks like a rounded white oak until you look real close and see the tiny points.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

It is also hairy on the midrib on the underside of the leaf  :D.  Ah, black oak, the chameleon of oaks  :).

MM, I have never sawn any cherrybark post oak before, either  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

This was a country boy that owned the largest chainsaw repair shop here for years.  I guess that he was always busy keeping saws running and not looking at trees.  He had Post Oak and Cherrybark Red Oak in his front yard and did not know the difference.   :-\

Cherrybark Post Oak.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

Choak can be especially confusing  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!