iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this? Some kind of cypress?

Started by Okrafarmer, March 11, 2012, 10:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Planted as an ornamental, South Carolina. It is evergreen, definitely not baldcypress, which we do have in this area.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Weekend_Sawyer

White cedar? If it is it smells great when you crush the needles.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Okrafarmer

I grew up with white cedar in Maine. I don't think that's it as the needles look totally different.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sprucebunny

Are the needles soft or hard ?
Soft needles might be "metasequoia" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metasequoia
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dodgy Loner

It's Cryptomeria japonica, aka Japanese cypress. It is indeed related to the cypresses that you're familiar with. In southeast Asia, it's a highly prized timber tree, with vast plantations for the scented, rot-resistant wood. In the southeastern U.S., it's commonly planted as an ornamental.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ianab

Yes, sure looks like Cryptomeria japonica. We call it Japanese cedar here and it's a common ornamental or shelter tree in NZ. It grows into a pretty serious tree over time and is carefully managed as a timber species in Japan

http://botanyboy.org/japanese-cedar-cryptomeria-japonica-v-japonica/

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Okrafarmer

There are several of them around here. This one in the picture was around 15 inches ABH and would yield some nice straight lumber. Now I am licking my chops to find some to mill!

Okrafarmer

That must be Japanese Cedar, not Japanese Cypress. I think Ianab is right.
But I'm still not sure. The cones don't look right. The cones shown on the website and wikipedia look a lot like baldcypress cones, but the ones in my picture look more like hemlock or white cedar cones. Also the bark doesn't look quite right, although there could be variations when it comes to various cultivars developed by different people.

SwampDonkey

The needles look cypressy to me. Often those websites cornfuse the horticultural names. But I have not seen a true cedar, ours are Thuja up here that we call cedar and the leaves and the way they are arranged on the branch is something entirely different than a cypress. Cones I saw on yellow cypress on the west coast are almost round with a spike on the end of the bracts, where as the cedar was oval and no little spike.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Cryptomeria japonica is in a family of it's own, not really a true cedar OR a cypress, probably related to both though.

The bark does look like a juvenile specimen though. 15" is not much more than a sapling for those things. Look for a 6ft dbh, 1,000 year old, 150ft tall mature tree. Obviously we don't have them here as the oldest ones here are probably only planted 100 years ago. But they are pretty much the Japanese equivalent of Western Red Cedar as an old growth forest tree.

Certainly worth sawing if you do come across a good log though.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 15, 2012, 01:08:17 AM
That must be Japanese Cedar, not Japanese Cypress. I think Ianab is right.
But I'm still not sure. The cones don't look right. The cones shown on the website and wikipedia look a lot like baldcypress cones, but the ones in my picture look more like hemlock or white cedar cones. Also the bark doesn't look quite right, although there could be variations when it comes to various cultivars developed by different people.

Ianab and I are talking about the same tree: Cryptomeria japonica. Whether you call it Japanse cedar or Japanese cypress is irrelevant. Common names are a confused mess.

Take a better picture of the cones if you don't believe that's what the tree is. From what I can tell, it looks like a Cryptomeria, but the picture is pretty blurry so it's hard to say for sure.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ianab

Which is why we both used the Latin name to avoid confusion.

Common names get to be a real mess, especially when when you start talking about plants from the other side of the world  :D

Port Orford Cedar or Lawson Cypress? Same tree  ???

Ian

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ianab on March 16, 2012, 04:07:44 PM
Which is why we both used the Latin name to avoid confusion.

Common names get to be a real mess, especially when when you start talking about plants from the other side of the world  :D

Port Orford Cedar or Lawson Cypress? Same tree  ???

Ian

Duly true.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!