iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging with Farmi winch

Started by RoundMountainLogger, December 29, 2014, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

Quote from: RoundMountainLogger on January 13, 2015, 05:41:44 PM
Ok I'm convinced.... You guys talked me into it... I'm searching for chains, roof , risers, and skid plates.

I was skidding three big oaks straight up hill today and lost traction.  Had to freespoll to the top of hill and cable the logs to the top.
At the bottom of hill I kinda thought I'd loose traction but wanted to try.... I knew the tractor would make it up alone.

Yeh, I forgot about skid plates.  Ordered our JD with skid plates.  They come in real handy in the woods....  Also brush guard on the front grill of the tractor.

Chains.. check out these guys... they handle made-in-USA chains as well as Trygg.
Trygg Flexi are great chains for your size tractor & they have very good prices on them.

http://canadianchainsusa.com/farm.aspx

petefrom bearswamp

Started with my Farmi, I think a 501 in 1993 with a JD 4020 95hp.
now have an 8540 Kubota w/ fel that dynoed at 89 HP when in for a warrantee repair.
I was told Same tractor as 9540 except for the fuel pump and maybe injectors.
Rear tires loaded with beet juice no loading in the fronts.
No issues in the snow w/o chains.
HOWEVER I am now spending the winters in FL so wont be working in the cold and snow no more.
Yippee!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

lirachamo51

i would suggest getting a diamond pattern, always chain on the snow or ice, i have diamond pattern ice chains on my nhwm 55 on all 4 and no slipping even on glare ice, they are well worth the cost!!
Randy

John Mc

Wish I could get diamond pattern chains, but no one makes them to fit my tire size. I ended up going with ladder-style with V-bars. The bars do pretty well on ice, but lateral traction is not as good as with the diamond-pattern chains.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

I'd like to find a JL 351 Farmi or something similar on the used market... but seem to not exist much, if at all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2015, 11:00:06 PM
I'd like to find a JL 351 Farmi or something similar on the used market... but seem to not exist much, if at all.

I looked for 3 years before I finally gave up and bought one new. It seems once people have a winch, they never let it go.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lirachamo51

i can understand why no used ones on the market they are truly invaluable,it seem like at least half of all trees i cut are hangers in the thick woods and they are pulled free with no problems. my diamond chains were from maine i know the back were ones they had in stock and the front they made for me ill try and find the companies name they were very accommodating.
Randy

lirachamo51

just found the site americanchain.com they make all sorts for tractors hope they can help you!
Randy

John Mc

Thanks for the lead, Lirachamo51

I bought my last chains from tirechains.com. Decent pricing, but they could not come up with anything like a diamond pattern to fit my tires.  The tractor dealer also said no one makes anything standard for this size tire (R4 tire, size 15-19.5). A custom build might be the only way to go, and even then I'm told the fit may be a bit off - the pattern just doesn't work out evenly on this size tire.

milkie62

The winch is my next thing on my list.My wife does not understand why I need it but will not go into the woods with me to see why.It would be invaluble accessing some aceage across an old beaver swamp.I could wait till freeze up cut the trees and winch across the swamp instead of leaving the trees there to rot away.(200 foot) pull but would not be a problem on smooth ice and cattails.Can't wait.......

beenthere

Quotewife does not understand why I need it

Tell the dear wife you didn't "need" to get married, but you wanted to.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Bring out 2-3-4  chains into the woods and you stay on the tractor and just have your wife hook and unhook the chains for a day.  ;D We use to cut firewood with 3-4-5, 16 foot chains. I was the chain boy and my Father drove the tractor. Just takes alot of time and hard to bring out 6 logs at one time. Those winches will last forever I think.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: lirachamo51 on January 16, 2015, 09:37:55 PM
just found the site americanchain.com they make all sorts for tractors hope they can help you!

I can't get www.americanchain.com to work. I just keep getting the error "server not found"

beenthere

Because it is http://www.americanchains.com/

With an s after chain

Found it by google'n "American Chains"
south central Wisconsin

wfcjr

Quote from: John Mc on January 24, 2015, 05:18:22 PM
Quote from: lirachamo51 on January 16, 2015, 09:37:55 PM

I can't get www.americanchain.com to work. I just keep getting the error "server not found"

Those are some pretty stout chains and studs.  I looked hard at them when looking for chains to buy.

One caution that I am sure you are probably aware of....   If you are looking for tractor chains, depending upon your tractor model, tire size and tire style, some of the chains with the very large studs, bear paw rings, etc. can be too high to work properly on a tractor. 

The forestry style chains are great for skidders, etc, but can be too stout or have features that are too high for use with tractors.  They create clearance issues.  So you may want to chat with the folks to ensure that a particular style chain will work properly with your equipment, tire size and style. 

John Mc

Thanks, wfcjr. I've got ladder style chains with v-bars now, bu they are not nearly as heavy as the stuff used on skidders. I've also got a subframe under the tractor that my backhoe attaches to. This might make side clearance an issue as well, though it has not been a problem with my existing chains.

I'm definitely looking for compact tractor chains, not skidder chains. I'd just like to get better lateral traction, and a bit of protection for the tires.

bill m

When I bought my first NH tractor I didn't think I could put chains on it because of the closeness of the fenders. Most of the chain specs. said you needed a minimum of 4 inches of clearance. I bought the chains anyway and have not had a problem. They are at least 10 years old, have been on 2 tractors and never come off.

As you can see they are close.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

wfcjr

Quote from: John Mc on January 25, 2015, 08:09:09 PM

I'm definitely looking for compact tractor chains, not skidder chains. I'd just like to get better lateral traction, and a bit of protection for the tires.

Check out the Trygg SMT Flexi

http://www.trygg.no/us/tractor,dc74.html

lirachamo51

just got back from 5days of cutting at my property for next years firewood and cleaning site for pole barn. the studded chains i bought from americanchains were studded diamond pattern,and are made for tractors, i also have the nhwm55 and haven't had any clearance issues with fenders or my or my bradco backhoe frame that is on bottom of frame. once and a while i will catch the lid on the small tool box on rt side of frame when tires are turned to max and tag ends will lift the lid on tool box.they are truly worth every cent i paid for them. the property i own is steep and icy and would not be accessible without them. fire wood is finished for next year!!!!! 8)
Randy

lirachamo51

tried to add pictures into gallery...not successful, computers are not my thing!  I was able to add a picture on my profile though...took a picture of my tractor, the chains, and...my buddy.
Randy

kensfarm

Randy those chains look pretty beefy.. can I ask what they cost..  I have a TN65.  Thankyou!  Ken

beenthere

Quote from: lirachamo51 on January 26, 2015, 10:53:46 PM
tried to add pictures into gallery...not successful, computers are not my thing!  I was able to add a picture on my profile though...took a picture of my tractor, the chains, and...my buddy.

You have pictures in your gallery. So you are successful. Four to be exact.

Now go to the post where you want to tell about the pics, do the "Click here to add Photos to post" and a gallery window pops up. At the top are menu tabs, and likely you have used the "upload pics" tab, but now want to click on the "My gallery" tab.

Select the pic you want, click it, and the when it enlarges, scroll down below the pic a page or two and you will see the button to insert it into your post.

Scrolling down is the tricky part as it isn't real apparent that there are things going on further down the page. Give it a shot. You are closer than you think.  8)
south central Wisconsin

lirachamo51

I've had them for 3 years, so don't remember exact cost but around 700 front and 1000 for back. NH dealer put the back on when they loaded the rear tires and i put the front ones on myself as front end was pushing and slipping on ice and snow, easy to do. i also bought the chain tension springs on all 4 when you put them on close off spring ends with pair of pliers so when you drive through debris it won't pull them off. I'll try the pics again tonight when i have some time!!
Randy

gaproperty

Quote from: Puffergas on January 01, 2015, 11:30:37 AM
With the hitch on the blade/winch it's like having another parking brake. If used as an E-brake I would go into float control so not to tip over.

:new_year:
How much more wood can you haul with the help of your trailer as opposed to just the logging winch.  Lets say a haul of 800 feet. I am looking at getting a trailer with a loader and I am hoping it would pay for itself. Guess at least the wood would be clean when I arrived at the landing.  So could you get an extra 3 or 4 cords a day out with the use of the trailer?
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

woodrat

Quote from: beenthere on January 24, 2015, 05:03:39 PM
Quotewife does not understand why I need it

Tell the dear wife you didn't "need" to get married, but you wanted to.

+1!  :D
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

Thank You Sponsors!