iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulp hooks.

Started by Dave Shepard, February 07, 2015, 11:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

They are almost unheard of around here. I don't drag pulpwood, but I do find them to be extremely handy for working firewood. I found one locally last week and used it on five pieces of pine slabwood and then the tip snapped off and hit me in the temple. ::) Anyone else use them much? I'm thinking about just heating the tip up with the torch and drawing it out to shape again and leaving it in some wood ash to cool and not harden. I imagine it wouldn't wear as well, but if it snaps, that's no good either.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

HiTech

The one I have has a replaceable tip. Just turn it out or in.

Dave Shepard

This one is replaceable, but only has one point. Not sure where to get tips, I could ask the shop where I got it, but I doubt they carry them. I also think it's metric, about 10mm diameter.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DDDfarmer

Use them all the time for firewood. I prefer the old style that you just heat and draw out the tip to suit your needs. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Tom the Sawyer

Pretty rare item out here on the great plains but I have a couple of hay hooks that I use for moving small logs around.  Just had to sharpen the tip and they work great, plus they seem to be about 1/2 the cost of a "pulp" hook.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: DDDfarmer on February 07, 2015, 11:46:41 AM
Use them all the time for firewood. I prefer the old style that you just heat and draw out the tip to suit your needs. 

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

I don't use a pulp hook,I find that a Hookaroon works best as it has a long handle and an aggressive tip.I also use it at the mill for pulling slabs.i also have two sizes of log tongs for handling firewood blocks.My Hookaroon came from Peavey mfg.in Maine,but Logrite probably sells one as well.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

rick f

I use mine all the time loading firewood. I just file the tip to get the shape I want.

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Reddog

Dave, the tip might be a ice stud for a snowmobile track.

DonT

I use them a lot, as well as a logrite hookeroon for smaller rounds.  Anything that helps me keep my hands out of the snow and dry is a great tool.

bill m

I have two and use them all the time. One with a replaceable tip and one without. I like the one with the fixed tip better. Dave, If you want you can use one of mine till you get your tip replaced.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the offer Bill. I have a LogRite Hookaroon that I use for cutting up my slabs, I'll keep using that for now. It gives me more reach and is my preference for handling full length slabs. The pulp hook I use when handling chunk firewood. A friend of mine cuts his boiler wood about 36", and it's a real pain to try and handle the rounds, literally. It gets me right in the wrists. Too many years of dragging brush to the chipper, I think. I think I'm going to try and draw out the broken tip tonight and see if I can reshape it. Another friend has a bunch of hooks, and the replaceable tip style with the little notch seems to grab better than the one piece style with the straight tip.

thecfarm

Labonville sells them and are you close to a Paris Farmers Union? We sell them at work,looks like the one that rick f has pictured.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine372

labonville carries replacement tips. but ive found that to get the bolt out makes it not worth the hassle. dad had one that the bolt wouldn't stay tight so someone laid a bead of weld around the tip to hold it solid. I find a worn tip always works better than a new one anyway, especially in frozen wood.

Dave Shepard

The bolt came out easily on mine. I think if I tried to weld this, it would crack the tip off. I could just scratch it with a file, but it was singing pretty well. If the blacksmithing route doesn't work, I'll cut the socket off and weld a mild steel tip on. Third option would be to turn a new hook in the lathe. It is metric, 10mm shank. Mine also looks just like rick f's.

No Paris Famer's Union down here. I got mine from one of my local saw shops, but it was the only one he had, and the other shop was sold out. I doubt they sell more than a couple of hooks a year each, from talking to them.

Ed_K

I used a cut off bolt as a replacement on mine. It's hard to get it ground just right for the tip to hold in the wood but release when you want it to.
Ed K

simonmeridew

put a right angle hook on the end, actually dub it over with a ball peen hammer, and it'll hold much better, especially in frozen wood. use it on the end of the bolt not the side or you'll wear the point in your thigh
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Dave Shepard

I use a two step process for handling the longer stuff. First is in the side near the close end to get it up in the air, transfer to the left hand then in the other end to pick the piece up. The original tip has a sort of hook to it. More of a notch, actually.

Offthebeatenpath

Dave,

I have more pulp hooks than I need, some old ones and some newer ones with replaceable tips. Probably a couple extra hookaroons too.  I could throw a few in the truck next time I head to the Berkshires if you're interested.  I should be headed there in a few weeks.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

trapper

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 07, 2015, 07:27:37 PM
I use a two step process for handling the longer stuff. First is in the side near the close end to get it up in the air, transfer to the left hand then in the other end to pick the piece up. The original tip has a sort of hook to it. More of a notch, actually.

x2  but what is the trick to get them to release easy?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

loggah

You want just a little curl on the end of the tip.The old timers around here used to take a new hook and just wack the point on an anvil or hard surface. I got to use one quite a lot when i was a teenager loading pulptrucks by hand. No log loaders around then.Long logs were still rolled on trucks at rollways. don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mad murdock

Peavey Manufacturing still makes and sells new ones.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Dave Shepard

I did a little blacksmithing on the end of my tip. I drew it out long enough to work with, and finished with a file. I let it cool slowly, and it files a little easier, so I know it is softer. Hopefully it won't snap as easily. The tip is pretty close to what it was when I got it. I like this style over the straight point on the non-replaceable hooks. The angle of the hook to the handle is different on this one than the ones my friend has. His, the point is tangential to the handle, and this one had an acute angle to the centerline of the handle. I straightened it out to be tangential to the centerline and it hooks better with the tendency to glance off the face of the log.

Offthebeatenpath, I don't think I need any more hooks, thanks. I just use mine helping a couple of friends now and then. I try to do most of my material handling with a forklift. :) If you are in the area, let me know. I can give you a tour of my snow piles that closely resemble a sawmill and edger. :D (Not much going on now, although in few weeks, who knows, the snow may have gone away). Mostly working on timbers in the garage.

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for the invite Dave.  I'd like to see your operation, although I may wait till more of the white stuff melts away.  Looking at snow piles is starting to get frustrating...  I will be working at the Kellogg Conservation Center in S. Egremont for at least a few days in the spring.  My fiancĂ© works there most of the year as well, so I end up passing through with some frequency.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Oliver05262

Here's mine. Never used this one much after I bought it 'cause I quit sending 4 foot wood. Snow & Nealley--- vintage late '60's.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!