iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 380B INFO ??

Started by RunningRoot, February 21, 2015, 07:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

I had recently decided to keep my C4 and started fixing it up..

But i found a DEAL on a non running 380B dual arch grapple... The thing is its not running and the owner knows nothing about it, he got it in a business buy out... Its a 94 model and looks to be in great shape !
I can replace the motor if need be for 2k or less... But what would a tranny rebuild cost if it needed it ? With me doing all the labor of course... What tranny do they have in em ?

Trying to weigh the risk...
But this is a Nice skidder and I can part it out for more than I'll be giving for it?
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

lopet

Decent rubbers could be worth something, but a not running skidder gotta be really cheap. Even if you think about salvage it you have to consider your time.
Don't know much about 380 B s , but when the owner doesn't know anything about it, red flags should go up.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

treeslayer2003

meh, the way i look at it, the trans must been ok for the engine to go......never seen both go at once. i believe they have a clark trans but could be wrong.

lynde37avery

How much he want for the 380?
Detroit WHAT?

ga jones

If it's a 94 it is a C it should be green and most likely has a Deere winch. Clark transmission. 15000 total rebuild for the Clark transmission.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

RunningRoot

Quote from: ga jones on February 21, 2015, 09:07:06 PM
If it's a 94 it is a C it should be green and most likely has a Deere winch. Clark transmission. 15000 total rebuild for the Clark transmission.
Ga.....
I must be wrong about the year then... I know it's a B and it is actual TJ...
I look into the exact year

so il logger

Theyr'e tough machine's but proceed with caution and get it as cheap as possible. The engine is minor but the transmission is a whole other topic. And there are thing's that could have been going on with the trans while it still ran. Pic's would be great if you can get some. Does it have a junkmatic winch or eaton? I think some came with hercules as well. All in all if the trans is good then you will love the performance of the 380 if it's anything like my 450C ;)

ga jones

What motor was in it. 453 or 6bt cummins stick steer?
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

RunningRoot

6bt Cummins and steering wheel

ForestFox

As a buyer you should assume the worst and then you can only be pleasantly surprised, not the opposite! You should also assume the seller knows more than you about the machine, and is not sharing all he knows with you. This is just the way business works. You put your money down, you roll the dice, and hope you guessed right even by doing the due diligence. A non running machine is always a big question mark, unless you were there when it stopped running.
Good luck with the due diligence part!
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

coxy

Quote from: ForestFox on February 22, 2015, 09:11:16 AM
As a buyer you should assume the worst and then you can only be pleasantly surprised, not the opposite! You should also assume the seller knows more than you about the machine, and is not sharing all he knows with you. This is just the way business works. You put your money down, you roll the dice, and hope you guessed right even by doing the due diligence. A non running machine is always a big question mark, unless you were there when it stopped running.
Good luck with the due diligence part!
around these parts of ny an older tj 208-225- 230 not running will go for 5-9k all day long :o :o

RunningRoot

That's my reasonable thought process by behind this deal.... I can part it out and get my money back, I will only have 8k in it to get it to my front door

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: RunningRoot on February 23, 2015, 08:48:16 AM
That's my reasonable thought process by behind this deal.... I can part it out and get my money back, I will only have 8k in it to get it to my front door

sounds like a good plan and a risk i would be willing to take .also the older you get the more you will like the grapple.i assume it has a winch also.
good luck with your deal.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ga jones

If you are sitting in the seat. Behind your head above the rear window is the serial number it will tell the year and model. Is it green or orange? There is a year stamped in the frame on passenger side behind the cab in the v near the center pin also.if it is steering wheel and its green it has to be a C.1992 was the last year for orange.

lopet

Quote from: RunningRoot on February 23, 2015, 08:48:16 AM

What size of rubber and what's left on it ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

RunningRoot

RunningRoot

so il logger

After seeing the pics I would be writing a check if you can get it for 8K. Nice straight tractor :)

lopet

Sorry guys, but i don't know how you can put 8K value on this skidder with not knowing, what it needs to get going. ???
I only see one decent rubber on the front left, the other ones look pretty worn. Other than the motor some of the other component could be seized hydraulics, transmission or have failed. Also don't see that much in it in parts, but that's just me.
You must have a wild market for skidder parts in your neck of the wood.
If you don't wanna risk your shirt put a number on the four wheels and the rest is so much a pound. The seller might not go for that , but he will end up with that some day.

ga jones

I know in this neck of the woods there's at Least 8000.0 in parts there! The doors alone are a 1000 for the pair.sheet metal is straight.

so il logger

Yes GA jones, well worth 8k. IMO looks to be straight nice old machine. I would for sure take a gamble, and it looks to have been taken care of so i would bet it won't be a parts machine at all. I could be wrong but I personally would jump at it

coxy

the tires are worth a grand a piece  at least here anyway  the blade another grand the rears at least 2grand the hydro parts at least another grand the front cradle another grand     theres your money back    I would try to fix it and run it or sell/trade it      good luck       

ga jones

Yes I've seen 23.1 tires sell for 250. bald as bald can be.

RunningRoot

I'm just worried of getting it home and finding out the transmission main shaft is in 3 pieces or something...
if georgia jones is right and it takes 15,000 to rebuild the transmission and another 2 to 3000 for a engine swap it would be a while before she was running as I cant afford to put 20,000 dollars in it after putting close to 10 in it to get it here...  that would make 30,000 dollars invested a  man can buy a nice running machine for 30,000 dollars

Remle

The only way I would buy it is with the provision that it runs and moves at that price, it's doubtful that the engine and transmission are both bad, not that your going to walk away from the deal, but spending a day getting it running or trying to will provide you with a great amount of information to determine necessary repair cost. Worst case is you loose a days time, but save thousands in $$$. If the owner refuses the deal to try to start it it's a pig in a poke.. and only worth scrap value. Yes the parts are worth more than scrap, but you have to tie up your money for who knows how long before you get it back.

Thank You Sponsors!