iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting it all together

Started by Ianab, November 09, 2004, 02:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I'm sure as heck not an expert in any aspect of forestry or woodworking.. but the satisfaction of starting with a tree and making something usefull is priceless  :)

A long post....

First off.. find an unwanted tree...

A bit of carefull chainsaw work...

Has the tree on the ground ready to limb and buck...

Work out some way of moving the logs.. I owe someone big time for this lift...

Get the mill set up to saw the logs...

and make a pile of boards....

Get the boards stickered and drying....

Once the wood is dry.. get it planed all nice and smooth...

Then cut out the bits you need (making up the design on a bit of note paper as you go ::) )...

and start putting them together.. Yay for lots of screws and Gorilla glue  ;) ...

Now it all comes together....

Just need some finishing now...

Phew...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Great post, Lan. You sure have some nice trees in NZ.  I really like the chest, and the natural finish.  Good on ya, Mate. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DextorDee

Well that was simple. ;D Good job good pics.
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

MULE_MAN

Well you sure make it look easy   ;)  But I know that is allot of work
But the end result is job satisfaction And you have built something
that will be around for years & years , Nice Job !   8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

GAV64

Ian,
great photos, beautiful project, so much for that "unwanted" tree. now i got to get started on my boot bench.glenn

DanG

Ain't that just what it's all about? 8) 8)

Well done project, and well done post, Ian. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

I really like the design of your blanket chest!  Nice lines. It means more that you took it from the tree to the finished product. It would be nice if you would print out your post, or write the history of making it and include pictures, put it in an envelope and attach it permanently to the bottom or inside the chest.  Not many people have made something from womb to tomb like that.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawguy21

Lotta work for one chest. Seriously, great pics and and a beautiful project.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Thanks guys

As you can see by the size of the tree I've got enough timber for more than just one chest  :D
I've commited to making 3 more to pay back favours or Christmas presents. The wood is also going to be used on a breakfast bar and feature wall in the tree owners new house.

I didn't mention before, the wood is Macrocarpa cypress, so inside the chest smells great :)
I might do one from Port Orford cedar as well, it's supposed to repel moths and has a real distinctive ginger smell.

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

iain

Just as well you added the last post, i was gona give some about the amount of timber you needed for that one admittedly very good looking box. I planed some of that Macrocarpa for a freind a couple of years back, m m m just smelling it now
I the FF hat to show brother hood with your fellow fourm members?
 or just to show scale on that sweet smelling chest ;D ;D ;D

iain

Bruce_A

iain;  Every time I look at that picture of something in pink on your posts, I come closer to agreeing with the caption below it.

Murf

Fair dinkum indeed, pour yourself some of Mr. Foster's amber liquid.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Phorester

Great set of pictures, Ian.  This is perfect to show kids (and out-of-touch adults) where their furniture comes from and how important trees are to us.

fstedy

8)Good Day Mate
 :) ;D :D Mighty fine converting :D  ;D :)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Ianab

Lil has been busy with her brush and has got a couple of coats of polyurethane onto the cabinets now.
The colour of the wood shows up much better now :)

Norm

Sure looks nice Ian and Lil, the kitty cat looks like he's thinkin of  autographing it with some cat prints. :D

Paschale

she's a beaut!   8)  It's cool to see the entire thing from felling to the finished project.  I've got a bookcase I wanna make this winter from wood we felled and milled too--your post has inspired me to get to work!  :-)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

WV_hillbilly

The chest turned out great . I think it is more rewarding when you make project out of wood that you have sawn .  

I just started making project out of some cherry I had Dugsaws cut up for me .  The look on some faces when they learn that you cut the tree down  , sawed it into lumber and then made something out of it .
Hillbilly

OneWithWood

Ian, that whole process sure looks good.  It is one of the best feelings in the world, isn't it? 8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!