iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When you can't take the logs to the mill........sawing in the woods

Started by cutterboy, June 29, 2012, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. My tractor is down. I can't get the logs to the mill so I decided to take the mill to the logs.

I pulled my mill with my truck up into the woods and set up on a tractor path near the logs.

I just roll the logs to the mill with my Logrite cant hooks

It's really nice milling in the cool shade and the peacefullness of the woods. The logs are red oak and the lumber is looking pretty good.

I couldn't do this without my three friends, blue, orange, and little hook-a-roon. ;D

Happy sawing, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Oh what a man will do to sniff saw dust.  :D

You go CUTTERBOY!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

That is the way to take charge of a situation and make hay sawdust.   :)

I love the green shade.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

I love milling in the woods.  You might decide you like it so much you end up doing something like this:

I know it looks cool and shady,  but it is currently 98° at my mill.

Cutterboy, can I come saw with you for about four months? ;D  Nice looking RO, BTW.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

cutterboy

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on June 29, 2012, 05:30:55 PM

I know it looks cool and shady,  but it is currently 98° at my mill.

Cutterboy, can I come saw with you for about four months? ;D 

Hey GMM, you can come saw with me anytime, and if it's too hot to saw I got some cold ones in the fridge. ;D :D

It was 91 at my mill today and I quit at lunch time. GMM, you have such a nice spot for your mill. I think it is just beautiful. I can see why you call yourself Ga_Mtn_Man. It looks like you're set up on the side of a mountain.

All the best to you, Cutter

macpower

I've done that.. I love sawing in the woods when the bugs aren't too bad. I've sawn jobs when the logs were laid  alongside a woods road. I left the axle on the mill, towed up next to a log or log pile, drop the legs and level, saw, then pick up and move to the next. Best thing is when you have a nice sized clearing to set up in, big enough to move the tractor about and enough logs for a few days.
Cutter, you need a "Mill Special" in blue. I'd trade all the others before I'd be without mine. Oh, I'd trade 91 at my mill for the 95 in my shop any day, any time!
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on June 29, 2012, 05:30:55 PM
I love milling in the woods.  You might decide you like it so much you end up doing something like this:

Paul, did a tornado come through Ga. Last night? I was looking at all the slabs on the hill.  ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Not tornadoes, David..BEARS!  I stack 'em up neat every day and by the next morning they're like you see 'em.  It's just pure mischief if you ask me. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

Cutter,hope your tractor is not hard down, fella can't swing when his ground gripper don't work.My first circular mill was setup in the woods beside a stream.Only downside are the deer ticks and skeeters. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on June 29, 2012, 08:24:24 PM
Not tornadoes, David..BEARS!  I stack 'em up neat every day and by the next morning they're like you see 'em.  It's just pure mischief if you ask me. ;D

"Hey Boo Boo.....how would you like a picnic basket with a pile of Paul's slabs?"
"That's OK with me Yogi."  :D

John_Haylow

Nice looking logs. I hope your tractor is not down too long.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

thecfarm

That Red Oak looks good. What's the plan for the lumber? Good luck with the tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LOGDOG

Sawing in the woods is great. I did a job back in '97 in Southern WI milling 500,000 board feet of white and red oak for a logger. Milled it on site. Oak wilt had gone through there. It was a nice place to saw. I'd be running the mill and wild turkeys would be milling around in the  tree line 40-50 yards away. They just got used to me and knew I wasn't a threat. Occasionally a deer would walk by. It was hard work but that's a heck of an office.

bandmiller2

Paul, them barrs are likely after grubs just under the bark in those slabs.I'd spray them with something to leave a bad taste in his mouth.Whats next pissen on your mill or going after oil in the engine, there up to no good.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ga Mtn Man

rmack

bears will kill you and eat you if they get hungry enough, and they aren't afraid of noisy equipment. ;)

There was a man killed and partly eaten by a black bear outside of Williams lake years ago... the running drilling platform wasn't enough to keep the bear away. A few years later one pulled a rancher off the back of a horse.... same result..

on the other hand, if you feed them dogfood and treat them nice they can become quite tame.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

cutterboy

GOOD GRIEF GMM, look what you started. First the bears were knocking your slabs around and now they're eating people. :o :D :D :D

I'm more afraid of yellow jackets and deer ticks than I am of bears.

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You want to start something?

Well here goes........Do Barrs eat GRITS?  :D :D :D

Magicman

If a bear ate me he would get BOTH, because I stay full of Grits.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 30, 2012, 03:25:53 PM
If a bear ate me he would get BOTH, because I stay full of Grits.

Hum.......my wife says I'm full of Grit.  say_what

rmack

QuoteIf a bear ate me he would get BOTH, because I stay full of Grits

lol! try googling "BC pot bears"
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Migal

Guessing its Hot everywhere today if post are going to food then munchies Hmm!  :D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Ga Mtn Man

Thank You Sponsors!