iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks natural remedy

Started by Bishop, April 21, 2018, 10:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop

I just thought why not bring this up here. About 11 years ago I finally found the mystery disease that has haunted me since I was 4 1/2 years old (52 now). Talk about a lifetime of struggles and pain that I learned to ignore. So I was thinking, what do these guys use to avoid ticks because Lyme disease is probably the worst disease out there.

For example, It will find dormant diseases in your system and activate them over and over. I am in the medical journals for the only human to live having mono (also known as the kissing disease) 5 times. I had it 6 times for 8 lonely years of my childhood stuck in bed. You get a cell in your body (not the right word "cell") and it decides to become Mono or leukemia. Yes, mono is a recovering form of leukemia. Once it becomes one or the other, it can't change which is good in my case.

So what I'm wondering, what natural remedies do you all use to keep the bugs and ticks off? I really need to stay away from chemicals.

mike_belben

Sign me up, i had 26 or 27 bites last year.  2 so far this season. 
Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

Not a remedy really, but DON'T kill the possums.  They are tick eating machines.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Klunker

My wife has a friend that cured herself of Lyme disease.

Here is a link with her story in it.
Her bit is about 1/2 way thru.
Pam Carpenter.

Raindrop Messenger Archive

Banjo's comment reminds me of a study I read about Red Foxes, That they eat alot mice which are a part of the Lyme disease life cycle.

Another item is you can make Tick tubes and put them around your yard.

here is a link

? How to Make Your Own Tick Tubes (2018 Update)

Tubes with material that mice use for nests that is treated with Permethrin, which kills ticks.

bluthum

Best natural remedy is carefully checking yourself 100% at least once a day. Supposedly the tick has to be in place 24 hrs for the disease to be transmitted. Now the science has backed up some on that as in the 24 hour time isn't 100% but still close.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here either as I'm sure you already do check yourself. I've had Lyme's and tularemia so I take my ticks pretty seriously. If I'm going to be in a place where I expect they'll be thick I will use deet but I don't try to get anyone else to,there's a good chance that poison is poison.

There are no guarantees  in life as regards your health, something's gonna get you we know. I just try to weigh the odds and carry on. Best of luck to you.

nativewolf

Quote from: Bishop on April 21, 2018, 10:45:18 PM
I just thought why not bring this up here. About 11 years ago I finally found the mystery disease that has haunted me since I was 4 1/2 years old (52 now). Talk about a lifetime of struggles and pain that I learned to ignore. So I was thinking, what do these guys use to avoid ticks because Lyme disease is probably the worst disease out there.

For example, It will find dormant diseases in your system and activate them over and over. I am in the medical journals for the only human to live having mono (also known as the kissing disease) 5 times. I had it 6 times for 8 lonely years of my childhood stuck in bed. You get a cell in your body (not the right word "cell") and it decides to become Mono or leukemia. Yes, mono is a recovering form of leukemia. Once it becomes one or the other, it can't change which is good in my case.

So what I'm wondering, what natural remedies do you all use to keep the bugs and ticks off? I really need to stay away from chemicals.
Why do you need to stay away from chemicals?

There are no known or scientifically proven issues with DEET as long as you don't go overboard.  DEET is effective, it must be DEET above 25% to repel ticks.  Anything less will not do it.  The % of DEET relates to the duration of effectiveness more than strength.  A 25% solution lasts about 4 hours for most insect protections.  A 100% will last 12 hours.  However, it is suggested to reapply 25% rather than use 100%, some people have reactions to super high levels of deet.

Permethrin:  This is the natural (well sort of) solution that will kill ticks, all insects really.  You can spray yard with a solution forming a tick free yard zone.  Then spray all outdoor clothing with a good spray of this (sawyers is good) solution.  Don't spray on your body, only on clothes and shoes you wear outside (in woods).  Reapply Permethrin every 6 weeks or so.  You can wash, it won't wash away but slowly degrades.  

These are the only 2 solutions known to actually repel or kill ticks that you want on or near your body.  There is another approved in EU but not yet big in the US.  Not as much data and DEET works and has been much studied.  I personally would not trust it yet.

Any "NATURAL" solution is actually just another combination of chemicals.  Don't let "natural" fool you.  Just like you may not know that "organic" veggies may be sprayed with arsenic and copper...neither of which are good for you but are "organic".  Natural does not mean good or healthy or safe because ticks are of course...natural. Bluthum is absolutely right that inspection is the only natural solution.

The mouse tubes are great as mice are a key bridge for tick larvae and the conduit of RMSF and Lymes.  Deer licks are another.  Really though if you are outside, use both of these and inspect yourself every evening.  I hate to do the inspection, my body ain't pretty  :D but this is key.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

My back is covered in sun freckles so inspections are spotty, especially with seed ticks.
Praise The Lord

bluthum

I'm highly freckled and have  skin tags  and moles. But mostly if I can't see a tick I can feel 'im. Even a callused finger tip will feel a tick, I've long marveled at that.

forgeblast

Use Permethrin on my outside pants every spring after 6 washes repeat.  
We also use talstar in our yard its a granular easy to spread.  The deer are constantly there.
We also make sure our dog keeps up to date on its k-9 advantax we miss a treatment and we are pulling ticks off her face.  
There are people who use tincures of japanese knot weed and heard a sauna will reduce the symptoms, but after a bit I am on 21 days of doxy.  

mike_belben

Im on my 3rd day of vomit/diarrhea/achy all over.  It came on one day after a lonestar bite but my 1st grade daughter also had some kinda lesser tummy bug days prior.  I have seemed to have the occasional tick bite wipe me out in the past but never like this.  

Any thoughts if theyre related?
Praise The Lord

Tin Horse

Mike. I'd  be seeing a doctor. If it's lyme disease it's nothing to mess with. I've had it twice and been on the antibiotics. We can't go outside without getting them on us or the two dogs.
Some doctors think you never really get over it. I'm on two different muscle and joint  pain killers now. 
Get tested if you can. The US is way ahead of Canada dealing with this problem.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

bluthum

Science has found new very nasty tick related/borne diseases in the last couple years. Wouldn't surprise me if that the tick disease diagnoses we often get are flawed.

I'd venture to say that tick disease science is in it's infancy.

Bishop

Hi

The pain from Lyme comes from neuropathy which is your nervous system being affected in the brain, where they snack on. The Docs will prescribe Neurontin and two other drugs which really take most of the pain away. When they started me on it, I could no longer walk, touch my feet, know who I was or anyone else for that matter, oh and by the time a commercial was over, I had no idea what I was watching on TV. After 10 days, I could walk and most of it was gone. The problem with these drugs is that they mask the problems going on. They do not totally fix it. They may stop it. But there is a drug that not only fixes all these issues but helps restore the brain cells and rejuvenate the brain. It's all the opposite of what we grew up being told. That's marijuana. Some every day at least once and it will fix these issues permanently.

BTW I have been a patient of the top Lyme doctor in the world.

Lyme Facts:

You can not cure Lyme with drugs after the first 48 hours of being bitten.

Once bit and as soon as it injects you, you can get it, not in 24 hours. They are keeping from the public that you can get it from many other sources including mosquitoes.  

Once you have it, your goal is to get it into dormancy. You will need to take tons of vitamins.

It's an auto-immune disease.

EDITED BY ADMIN
---------
Deet, wow when did they allow that poison again since they outlawed it in the 70's because it changes your DNA???

Because Lyme is an autoimmune disease, chemicals are far worse for you than anything natural.

Bishop

One important thing to note. I've had it for about 45 years now an was misdiagnosed until about 10 years ago. The insurance companies will order a $25.00 test which is less than 45% accurate. I took it 14 times in a few months because 14 doctors thought I had it. This test is useless and you can have both false positives and false negatives.

The only true test today is named the "Western Blot Test" which is about $125.00 and is about 85% accurate. There are no false positives but there is a 15% chance of a false negative. 

firefighter ontheside

When I had 9 chickens roaming every day around my home I had zero ticks on me last summer.  This year, due to foxes eating my chickens, I've had my remaining 2 chickens cooped up.  I've had 3 bites already.  I think the ticks are extra bad this summer, but I think it's worse right by my house because of no chickens.  I need to get more chickens and let them free range again.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

This came in this week from VDOF;

QuoteOf the seven-human biting ticks in the US, five can be found in all or part of Virginia.  These include the:
·         American dog tick (transmits tularemia and Rocky Mountain spotted fever)
·         Blacklegged tick (transmits Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, ehrlichiosis, abesiosis, Borrelia miyamotoi, and Powassan disease)
·         Brown dog tick (transmits Rocky Mountain spotted fever)
·         Gulf Coast tick (transmits Rocky Mountain spotted fever)
·         Lone star tick (transmits ehrlchiosis, Heartland virus, tularemia, and STARI)
You can learn more about how to identify these ticks here: https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/2906/2906-1396/ENTO-250.pdf

And, on May 14th, the East Asian (or longhorned) tick was found on an orphaned calf in Albemarle County, Virginia.  The extent and significance of this finding are still being determined. 

But this doesn't mean you should avoid going outdoors this summer.  To keep you and your family safe, learn about these ticks and the diseases they can transmit from the Center for Disease Control and learn how to reduce tick habitat at home and protect yourself from getting bitten here

Southside

If you are far enough from neighbors then Guinea Fowl are awesome tick eating machines.  That and the fact they can be entertaining to watch are the only two good things I can say about them, well the eggs are good to eat too so I guess it's three.  But beware, that tick eating machine comes with a cost, they can be dumb as a post, they are LOUD, they love to hang out in the road, they are horrible parents, they are LOUD, they will roost in your trees and bomb anything parked under them, they are LOUD, you need to be careful in the morning when they come down from the roost as their rudder control is not all that good and they will smack right into you if you don't move out of their way - let me tell you a 5 lb bird at 20 MPH will leave a mark, oh and in case you are wondering, yes they are quite LOUD.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

We don't know where they came from, but we've had a large flock of guineas come to our house and hang around for a while.  They are LOUD. We heard them coming for a long time, but didn't know what it was.  They are dumb.  We had some years ago and they would roost on fence posts and were easy picking for night animals.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Gary_C

Quote from: Bishop on April 24, 2018, 10:13:56 PM
Lyme Facts:

You can not cure Lyme with drugs after the first 48 hours of being bitten.

Once bit and as soon as it injects you, you can get it, not in 24 hours. They are keeping from the public that you can get it from many other sources including mosquitoes.  

Once you have it, your goal is to get it into dormancy. You will need to take tons of vitamins.

It's an auto-immune disease.

EDITED BY ADMIN
---------
Deet, wow when did they allow that poison again since they outlawed it in the 70's because it changes your DNA???

Because Lyme is an autoimmune disease, chemicals are far worse for you than anything natural.
Sorry but there is little there that is fact. 

Lyme Disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks. It causes an infection and NOT an autoimmune disease. The resulting infection is difficult to cure because the Borrelia burgdorferi is a bacteria that has some unique abilities to hide in the soft tissues of your body and is hard to kill with normal blood born antibiotics because it can hide away from the blood stream.
It is because the bacteria is able to survive in the soft tissue that it's hard to kill with an ordinary course of antibiotics if it is not caught early.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Roxie

Reminder:  We do not permit political comments. 
Say when

doctorb

Gary C-

Your post is correct.  Lyme disease is as you state and not an autoimmune disease by itself.  It's a bacterial infection.  But what is still very poorly understood is the body's reaction to Lyme disease, which does mean that the immune system can be involved.  In some patients, symptoms persist which appear to be of an autoimmune nature.  Whether this is a chronic infection (possibly inadequately treated), a recurrent latent re-infection, or the body's response (immune system) to the original infection is not clear.  But rest assured, some patients have very strange and confusing presentations following Lyme Disease, usually involving joint pain or nerve dysfunction.  Long term antibiotics seem to help some of these patients, but not all.

I do not know this to be a medical fact, but I have been told that the actual bite of the tick usually does not occur for a minimum of 24 hours after the little bugger gets to you.  A habit of showering immediately after outside exposure to tick world with a conscious effort to really scrub those areas they seek out...belt line, hair line, back, behind the ears....is all part of wise prevention.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Gary_C

Yes doctorb, my brother in law had all the symptoms of Lyme some 10+ years ago and his HMO refused to allow the tests because Lyme was not prevalent in the area he lived. However he had acquired the unseen tick bite while spending two weeks at his cabin in NW WI. He was left undiagnosed for months and suffered fevers and joint pain until he found a different doctor who sent special blood samples to the Mayo Clinic where they said his infection levels were off their scales. After that test, he was treated twice with different antibiotics before he was supposedly cured of the disease but symptoms have lingered to this day.

Some years ago he was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and has suffered ongoing pain all over, plus both knees replaced, a back surgery, a heart surgery and another pending. He survives on an astonishing mix of pain pills and other medications. The problem is that Fibromyalgia is not a disease, it is just a collection of symptoms that probably are the lingering effects of a long untreated Lyme infection. Both he and I have taken the Lyme prevention shots when they were available and we both have been tested for lingering infections with negative results. I suspect that after one has had the disease and/or the shots that the tests are unreliable.

My defense for ticks when in season and I am working in tick country is to wear the light weight versions of Under Armor securely tucked into my socks which creates an unbroken path of resistance all the way to my neck. I can usually feel the dirty buggers crawling on my neck and head and pick them of and give them the pliers treatment. Then I check the insides of my pants and shirt plus send both to the wash at night. It's not a foolproof plan but it works for me.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Don P

My wife had a routine doctor appointment this past week, I asked her to ask the doc for a prescription of doxycycline for medicine cabinet stock, we've both had run ins with lyme, her severely. The doc agreed saying she had seen more lyme last year than all previous years. She also said the latest CDC recommendation is to take 2 immediately if bitten and then self monitor. I had heard the same advice repeated by my employer from a conversation he had with a doctor last summer.

Southside

Don - 

You can get doxy without a script, it's sold as "Bird Biotic", exact same thing, same color, shape, and numerical markings as the stuff the pharmacy fills, it has to be made in the same facility, just put into a cheaper bottle.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

Tick bites too numerous for me to count. I have a large yard to mow surrounded by trees. Pasture to mow and I enjoy my morning walks through the cool forest.

Loggers sometimes splash diesel on their shoes and pant legs to repel them. I might like getting bite better than the diesel. The hippies that used to live in the woods wore dog flea and tick collars. Haven't seen many of them for a long long time.

Last month the news has stated we have been honored by the presence of a new immigrant from east Asia. It's called the longhorn tick. Only three other states besides us have it. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!