Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ladies!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Alissa

Thanks again for being so welcoming!
5quarter asked about our racing peaveys. These are special peaveys that Kevin and Tammy from LogRite made for us. We use them in competition for racing. Once we get the log rolling, we roll the peavey over, use the hook as a handle, and use the teeth to keep the log rolling.

dgdrls

Welcome aboard ladies,
look forward to reading more posts about your
adventures and competitions

Best
DGDrls

AT sawyer

Alissa -- who files your crosscuts? I am curious as to how your racing saws are filed as compared to a trail saw. Would love to have a conversation with your filer.

Al_Smith

The ladies put on a nice demonstration at the pig roast .

I was rather curious about the piped Stihl 441 because I had never seen this model with a tuned pipe .The pipe itself I know how to build but how to modify this praticular design of engine to run on same I do not .

gimpy

Now that's what you call representing. Great jobs ladies.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Alissa

AT Sawyer asked who files our crosscut saws....
There are 2 men that my girls usually use. One is JP Mercier who lives in Quebec. And the other is Jim Taylor in California.
I, personally, have not had my saws worked on by either of them yet. But I know JP, he's a great guy. And several of my west coast girls really like Jim.

Alissa

Al_Smith asked about our modified chainsaws.
We are using Stihl 441 saws. The tune pipe on them was made by Bertrand's Hotsaws in British Columbia.
Since my saws are only used in the shows, and they need to be reliable every day, he suggested only installing the pipe and not doing any further modifications. I had an amazing Stihl guy in CT tune up the saws and put a different sprocket on them and a more aggressive chain to throw chips.
I would not use my saws to compete with because they are no where near as powerful as the hot saws you would see in The Stihl Series or in a big competition. But they are super fun, and they sound great!!!

Al_Smith

Thanks for the explaination .

AT sawyer

Thanks Alissa. I've heard of both men and their reputations a saw filers precede them.

Peter Drouin

You don't file your own saws or ax :o How could you improve your performance If you don't know how they work?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Alissa

Yes, I agree, it would be a perfect world if we could all sharpen our equipment and tune up engines as well as the professionals in those fields. But as competitors we spend our time training on how to best use the equipment, and leave the technical stuff to those professionals. If my axe suffers a chip or a rolled edge, or my chain hits a rock, I can stone and file them back to usable quality. But when I am competing in a competition I will gladly ask a professional to take my equipment to a better level. Much like how a race car driver is usually not his teams head mechanic. :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

beenthere

That was a cool reply (and well said) and you didn't throw the axe at him...   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Alissa

Al_Smith

Quote from: beenthere on November 17, 2014, 09:03:20 AM
That was a cool reply (and well said) and you didn't throw the axe at him...   
:D :D 
What struck me funny about  that axe thing is Ms Alissa doesn't miss many times flinging that axe .

Had she been born 1200 years ago she could have been a Viking warrior princess .I mean I'm as tough as a nail but I'll be darned if I'd stand within 50 feet of her with her angry with axe at the ready .  8)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: beenthere on November 17, 2014, 09:03:20 AM
That was a cool reply (and well said) and you didn't throw the axe at him...   ;D ;D

I did not try to start something, I was just surprised that she did not sharpen the saws. Sorry Alissa. And I'll leave it at that. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Axewoman Laurette

Hi, everyone! So happy to be here. ..I had a great time with alissa at the pig roast!!!

Alissa

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Hi Laurette, welcome to the forum 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Axewoman Laurette.   :)  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!