iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon EXL chain?

Started by John Mc, October 31, 2018, 11:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Has anyone used the Oregon EXL chain? I'm considering trying out some 73EXL on my Husky 357 XP. I normally use 73LGX. How do the two compare in terms of cutting speed, smoothness, edge life, and "sharpenability"?

Surprisingly, some places are selling EXL for about a buck less a loop than the LGX.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jwilly3879

I cannot really notice any difference between the EXL and the standard LG. Looks like the grooves in the drivers may carry a little more oil.

Wallys World

I tried it also and really didn't see much difference from the LGX. I cut mostly hardwoods with a Stihl 311 and 440.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

weimedog

In terms of cut speed, I don't see much difference in fact sometimes the old LGX is a little better. Where it is different is the "stretch", doesn't seem to change as fast probably because those oil groves help lube the pins. Husqvarna's new offering is similar...imagine that!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

John Mc

Is the steel supposed to be harder than LGX?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

ehp claims the EXL holds a better edge in his sandy ground then the LGX does. Might be harder or better chrome.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ehp

the EXL chain I got is a lot like the good stihl chain as far as hardness goes and how fast it dulls , I cut good big hardwood and on real light sand so the trees pick up a ton of dirt when being drag by the skidder , plus when the trees are sitting in the landing getting ready to be bucked up the trees most times have the bottom of the tree about 6 inches in dirt so you find out pretty fast how good a chain is and how good your bar rails are , older husky/Oregon bars you can wear the bar rails out in 2 days if ground is not frozen . the EXL chain last a lot longer than the LGX here but the LGX is a nicer falling chain

Ed

John Mc

Quote from: Ed on November 01, 2018, 12:41:56 AM
Oregon "PowerCut" chain in Chainsaws
Now I know I'm getting old. I even commented on that thread (more than once). Completely forgot about it.

Thank You Sponsors!