iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log scale for setting cut height

Started by Crusarius, October 08, 2018, 12:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I am getting ready to make a cutting scale out of a nice piece of aluminum I have. I know I want to have Normal tape measure so I can zero from the bed and a 5/4 scale. what other scales should I have?

My plan is to paint the aluminum black, then machine grooves in the aluminum for each scale. Each line will be plus 1/8" for kerf.

What scales other than 5/4 should I put on there? Anybody have pics of theirs?

Chuck White

The scale on my mill has 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 & 8/4
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

My lt30 has two scales side by side A ruler marked in 1/16 inch and a quarter scale 4/4  5/4  6/4  8/4  You can get quarter adhesive scales from woodmizer both regular inch and a hardwood scale that allows ( I believe) an extra 1/8 on each mark. I put the adhesive tape on the back of an aluminum yardstick and change them depending what myself or customer wants. Will post picture if you need it. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ljohnsaw

I made two scales.  This is the first one I made.  I added 1/8 on each scale. I put 4 super magnets on each end to hold it in place.  But it still would move so I added the toggle clamp.  This scale has 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 (inches) so that would be 4/4, 8/4, 12/4, 16/4 and 24/4.

I made a new one with 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10" scales all on one side.  I found I wasn't using the 3" scale and I knew I would be making some 5x7 rafters as well as some 2x8 and 2x10s.  I just used a small chisel to make the horizontal marks and a scribe to scratch the vertical lines.  I have various number/letter punch sets.  This one used my largest set, the second one use a much smaller (1/8"?) set.  I spray painted it black and them use 120 grit sand paper to remove the flat surface paint.  The second scale has much more contrast/deeper, bolder numbers.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

Thanks everyone for the info. I was thinking the 4,5,6,8 was what I wanted to do. I will also have a fixed tape so I have height from bed and a movable tape for anything custom I need to do. I will definitely post pics of it when its done.

Trapper, thanks for the info I know I can get something from woodmizer but was never able to find it. also concerned it would fad over time and be unreadable. plus I have a mill so why not make a custom one to my own specs :) Thinking with the satin black face and then machine the grooves in they will end up being silver. Should be a real nice contrast and easy to read.

Crusarius

Well, here is what I came up with over the weekend. I will make a pointer than will slide left to right so when I cam cutting at one scale I can center on that scale. Hopefully keep me from jumping lines and cutting wrong sizes. It still needs paint but I think this will work nicely.

Thank You Sponsors!