iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Saw Blade Tension Meter

Started by MobileSawMilSlo, January 25, 2019, 12:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobileSawMilSlo

Hi

I just got the option to get several pieces of the band saw blade tension meter. Suitable for bands up to 2,5 inches.
Tension meter is produced in Europe and the measurement is displayed in MPa.

Ordered first for my self and I can say that it is a very good product, strong and made from aluminum.

If anybody is interested from EU or USA let me know. The price is about 200$.

Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

donbj

What brand is this? A tension meter is definitely the most accurate method for adjusting blade tension. I see you're in Europe, shipping could get expensive to here I would imagine.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

redbeard

Cooks saw mfg. Sells a really nice tension meter that is very accurate and good quality!  they are also a forestry forum sponsor 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Nomad

WoodMizer also sells one.  Part number WMBTG. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Pabene

I agree it is good to be able to check the blade tension.
The  blade manufacturer reccomends a tension good for theyr blades.  Sometimes it is a tension higher than the mill can handle. It was the case for me. The reccomended tension is in most cases, such it will prolong the blade 1/1000 of the checked length. As the blade body steel is more or less the same for most blades iit is a good rule.

A way to perform a tension check without to spend money on a tension meter can be like this:
Fasten a rod on the free part of the blade as shown on the scetch. If the distace between the clamp points would be 1000 mm. You will measure 1 mm difference from no tension to correct tension.

Ben Cut-wright

(1000mm/3') length of blade stretched (1mm/.040") = correct strain  ?

GAB

Quote from: Ben Cut-wright on January 30, 2019, 09:15:55 AM

(1000mm/3') length of blade stretched (1mm/.040") = correct strain  ?
I think it is supposed to be .001"/".
I was informed that the tension should be 25,000 psi +/- 1000 psi for proper blade tension.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: GAB on January 30, 2019, 10:03:22 AM
Quote from: Ben Cut-wright on January 30, 2019, 09:15:55 AM

(1000mm/3') length of blade stretched (1mm/.040") = correct strain  ?
I think it is supposed to be .001"/".
I was informed that the tension should be 25,000 psi +/- 1000 psi for proper blade tension.
Gerald
You think it is supposed to be .001" over how much length of band?   Does your /" mean (per inch)

I was only attempting to express his information in a more coherent manner, similar to a formula.

Pabene

I am sorry if my English to bad to explain thing like this but here is a try add some info.
A tension meter works on the same way as the metod I have shown, but it can be more compact as you have a dial indicator to show the stretch. To clamp a long rod to the blade will improve the accuracy and a caliper can be used to measure the stretch distance with good results.
A tension force, as will prolong or stretch the blade .001"/", is about 10% of the force as would break the blade. The force to give the correct tension to the blade is different for each blade dimension. The wider and thicker the blades are the more force has to be created by the blade tension system in the mill.  If I remember will a 1 1/2" blade (38 mm) need a tension force of about 1000 pound. The load on the mill bearings are similary to the load on wheel bearings for a pickup truck.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Thank You Sponsors!