iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did I mill today?

Started by Delawhere Jack, July 18, 2015, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Hey folks, need some help identifying what I milled today. Pardon the dried up leaves, it was the only sample available.
Pictures are worth a thousand words, right.

Leaves (blades?) have fine serrations, the points of which align with veins. Not heart shaped, no lobes. There was an empty husk which had split open, no nut. The husk was very small and spiny.

The bark was similar in color to that of tulip poplar, but courser with more random ridges. The wood was diffuse porous, bright white, and cut very much like poplar. The heartwood (at least that portion with different color), contained yellows and caramel browns, and only accounted for less than one third the diameter of the log.

Thanks,
JC

scsmith42

Can you post a photo of the lumber or end of the logs?  The leaves resemble chestnut white oak.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Delawhere Jack

Sorry SC, didn't get any photos of the log or wood.

Some further research here keeps leading back to beech. If that's the case, then those leaves didn't come from the same tree as the log I milled.  ::)

WDH

The twig and leaves in the pic are beech. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

Thank You Sponsors!