iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redwood Arbor

Started by Ljohnsaw, June 03, 2018, 04:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I answered a listing on my local Nextdoor Neighborhood web site for a custom arbor and separate bench.  The lady has a very tiny backyard but has done a great job of landscaping it.  She already planted two 10' clear 4x4 posts and wanted it all built of clear heart redwood (read $$$$).  So I drew this up for her thoughts:

I also did a version with overhangs on the ends.  Calling around, there was only one place to get clear heart.  She had two more 4x4s so I used those for the legs and cross members and planed some down for the braces.  I had to buy eleven 2x6 rough planks at $4.39/linear foot (or $4.39 bd-ft)!!!  So, $420 later for 88 bd-ft of redwood, I made this and installed it this morning.

I only charged her $200 for labor but in hindsight, it should have been at least 1 SGU since I spent 10 hours on it.  She will be oil sealing it.

I had to wait a week for the lumber yard that specialized in redwood to order the redwood. :-X  I needed to complete the project quickly or I would have complained.  Since when does "clear heart wood" have white sap wood and a few knots? >:(  I was able to cut around it.

I guess this is a new designer wood like Denim Pine - they also offer "Blonde Redwood" :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

teakwood

Very nice work, you charged cheap SGU's for your labor
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ljohnsaw

I had some scraps from cutting the tops off the 4x4s and doing the half laps.  She asked if she could keep them ???  It was her wood, I said sure.  Then I said I had more cut-offs from the bench slats.  I said I could make her a side table.  She liked that idea.  So I finished it this morning and texted her.  She had to go to work but left me a thank you envelope and left the gate unlocked.  Here is the arbor with the new side table:

Sorry it is so overexposed.  The top is the same slats used on the bench but turned 90° and butted up tight.  I made it as tall as I could with the remaining wood (25½") but might have to trim it down if she wants.  She left me a $100.00 tip!  So I made a whole SGU on this job (10 hours of labor).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DPatton

you did good ljohnsaw, looks great.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!