iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another solved by a Texan:  SEA GRAPE

Started by CHARLIE, August 21, 2001, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

What kind of tree is this? It has no use that I know of other than ornamental. It's fruit is edible and very good. The fruit is dark purple when ripe. I apologize for the quality of the picture, but to get it on here, it was the best I could do.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

Ok here is a wild card guess. Is it a Coco plum?

Gordon

CHARLIE

Nope Gordon, but keep trying.
1) I've only seen this type of tree growing on the east and west coast of Florida and not in the central part. I guess it is partial to the salt air from the OCEAN or GULF.
2) The fruit hangs off the tree in bunches just like GRAPES.
3) The fruit turns purple when ripe and has one big seed in it. It is sweet in flavor and makes great jam.
4) The smooth bark is a light gray in color.
5) I know of no purpose for the tree other than ornamental. The wood makes nice small turnings.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

Don't worry I'll keep trying. At first I thought it might be a beach plum. But the leaves don't come close to that, or so it seems by the picture. So let me do some more looking and see what I can come up with.

Gordon

Texas Ranger

I haven't a clue on this one, but, there was a thing called a Sea Grape that was a low lying shrub that produced grape like fruit.  And that is the extent of my guess.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

Gordon, you can stop your research. Texas Don scored again! 8) 8)  It is a Sea Grape tree. Don called it a shrub, but it's a tree. I've never seen shrubs get that big.  Don, you win the GRAND prize......a 1979 Omni with a little road salt rust (ok...maybe more than a a little) and only 215,000 miles on the 4 banger, original tires. Deluxe radio antennae.  You must come to Minnesota to pick it up though.;D ;D
Charlie

Texas Ranger

Hey, I'm from Texas, your trees may be our shrubs!  The ones I saw were about waist level, bent, wind blown, and not anywhere near a tree shape, possibly in protected areas they would become more erect and tree sized.

I might take you up on the grand prize.  My van has 200,000+ (odometer stopped working) and I may need a ride!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!