iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold weather tips

Started by anchorhd, December 13, 2013, 03:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchorhd

I tried the 1/2 gallon of windshield washer fluid in my mx34. It froze in single digit temps. I will use full strength going  forward.
Is anyone sawing the 10-30 degree F range? Please share any tips with us newbies!
Thanks
Reg

terrifictimbersllc

Sawed frozen pine today with 9 deg blades, about 20F,  used about 1:1 or 3:2 blue WWF:water.   No sap buildup at all, completely clean bands.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ancjr

Don't have a bandmill, but my table saw and crosscut saw cut like they're missing 2/3 of their teeth once it gets below 15F.

red oaks lumber

straight -20 deg. windsheild fluid will go lower temp. than you;ll want to saw in. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Pretty much full strength -20 ww fluid will do it, I add some pine-sol and cascade for good measure,  and agree with a previous post, it will hold up longer than I will when temps get in the teens,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hamish

Full strength washer fluid, then even that at times freezes the board to the cant.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

mikeb1079

Quotemy table saw and crosscut saw cut like they're missing 2/3 of their teeth once it gets below 15F.

you're supposed to bring those tools indoors!   :D ;D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

ancjr

Quote from: mikeb1079 on December 13, 2013, 09:41:50 PM

you're supposed to bring those tools indoors!   :D ;D :D

They're in the barn.  Won't fit in the house.  :(

Knute

Will the blue windshield wash permanently stain the wood or is it just on the surface and will plane out? I notice some gray along the edges of the boards when sawing red oak.

Andries

The blue colour in the washer fluid hasn't stained any of my oak, elm or ash. I have to use the -40 degree stuff because it's been colder than -20 for the past few weeks.
Another tip; scraping off the sawdust while its still wet on the boards is recommended, cause in a few days it'll be frozen on the lumber 'till spring thaw.
A wide drywall or sheetrock taping knife works best.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!