iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

They told me I was ripping them off

Started by Sawdust Lover, October 27, 2012, 08:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clww

Gotta love dealing with the uneducated public!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

way to be sawdust, that really is the way to handle it, albeit not what you wanted in the begining.  Sounds like she has come around to the reality of the situation.   It will be worth it at the end of the day, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

Sawdust Lover, you made a good call.  And getting her son to help out (if you can) will give both of them an idea of the work actually involved, too.

Al, it sounds to me like you did that the best way you could too.  You might have told him you didn't want the wood, but as long as there was an issue, here's my bill for labor.

The key problem with people like that is they figure it's perfectly normal to expect other folks to do work for them for nothing, when they'd laugh at the thought of doing the same thing for anybody else.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

dgdrls

Sawdust,  your a gentlemen and doing a kind service.
Having the Lad help would be perfect.

I would also save a small fire wood bundle nicely tied up for Mr. $25 dollars and drop it off to him.
Once your face to face with him, remind him he is the one who stiffed this women
by talking out his ars and leaving an unfinished job to be cleaned-up by others >:(. 

Then be sure to wish him a great holiday season and place that fire wood pile square
in his hands so he can think about what he did.

Your a good Man Sawdust.

DGDrls

metalspinner

I mentioned earlier a walnut deal I'm working on.  Here is the first log. I picked it up last night...

It's 12 1/2" long and oval shaped.  The small end oval is 20" x 27".  The only defect I can find is a small 4" catface in the bark on one side.  I will turn this log into furniture for the homeowner. ;D  There is a second "log"  that is mostly crotch but quite hollow.  I will be able to aqueeze some shorter, thicker stock from it.

This morning, I am headed out to grab  another free walnut tree that was dropped yesterday by a different customer. This one will be for me. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Planman1954

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Al_Smith

Quote from: nomad on November 16, 2012, 08:43:45 PM
           Al, it sounds to me like you did that the best way you could too.  You might have told him you didn't want the wood, but as long as there was an issue, here's my bill for labor.

Well firstly I'm glad this worked out with the lady with the gold plated walnut yard trees .Not one pro arborist I know of would be so kind .

Secondly in my case of another gold filled nail ridden walnut  I envoke the old adage " fool me once shame on you ,twice shame on me " .Nobody gets old Al twice . ;)

Okrafarmer

Pretty soon, I hope to be buying walnut at the gate, and then it will be me setting the prices. I will probably be paying more than anyone else around, which still won't be all that much compared to midwest prices.

Then I will let all the tree surgeons deal with the gold diggers, and I will pay what I pay as I scale it and appraise it. No more haggling with little old ladies (LOL's), just take it or leave it with the tree workers and loggers. If they bring it to me, they'll take the price, because it will be more than anyone else.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Sawdust Lover

Well I went to clean up the walnut trees today with my son and she was happy to see us. I told her I would cut up her firewood and stack the brush and haul the logs out tomorrow. She was fine with that. The son showed up an hour later to make sure the job was being done right and told my son stack the wood closer to the wood shed and make sure we cut up the brush really small and then walked away. I just let it go! When we were almost finished... hot and tired the son came outside and asked me if we were going to rake up the small stuff too..That was all it took. It amazes me that some people are so ignorant. The trees are cleaned up, I ended up with a few good logs, the women is happy and the son knows exactly what I think of him.

<Photos to be replaces with jpg images when you have time>

Okrafarmer

WH_Conley

After reading this thread and looking at the pics. All I can say is that you are a better man than I am.
Bill

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sawdust Lover

Some of the best lessons I have learned in my life come at my exspense. My new logo will be WE DONT CUT TREES...WE SAW THEM.

YellowHammer

Sawdust,
Good job, I bet you are glad its over.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on November 17, 2012, 09:53:49 PM
Some of the best lessons I have learned in my life come at my exspense. My new logo will be WE DONT CUT TREES...WE SAW THEM.

I usually say we don't cut them down, we cut them up..... :o
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Holy Cats! :D :D How did you get png images to upload? They took 20 minutes to show up on my phone. :D Those photos are over 4 megabytes in total. Enough for you to put a 100 up compressed.  I'm going to have to remove them. Please make them JPG and upload them again. The forum will compress them for you

(Great pictures other than that)

<Update: you happen to find a hole in the system allowing oversized png files. Thanks for uploading or I may have found it causing a REAL problem later. Fixed.>
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RynSmith

Whew!  I thought my already seemingly compromised old laptop was now on the verge of kicking the bucket!!   :-\  :)

thecfarm

I wondered why it did not load for me.  ::) The picture that metalspinner loaded just fine,even on my slow dial up. I went back a few times and it still did not load. I wondered why.Now I know why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sawdust Lover

Sorry about that! My daughter did it for me somehow.  :-\

captain_crunch

Kids can do the darndest things especially daughters with puter :P :P :P :P :P
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

1woodguy

I kind of wondered about the photos
On my iPad all that I could see was very top of pix about 1x6 inches long

:)
Grand kids had to show me things on iPad and phone
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Sawdust as others have said I bet your glad its over and these things happen I try not to deal with anybody like that anymore and am pretty good at spotting them a mile away and i try not to bother with little jobs anymore all in all though most jobs go well its just the odd one that leaves a bitter taste  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!