5040 kubota farm tractor

CTL logger

Now that made me chuckle.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Pay back time is a coming.  :D

I suspect it kinda looked like this?

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

It is true! You should read what it says!  ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

rick f

Oh please post a picture of it so we all can enjoy :D
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

sprucebunny

Really wish I'd thought of doing this to my friend down the road !
He'd go ballistic ! He might get over it when he realized it was the wrong state and only his ( long ) driveway. We live right on the ME/NH border. Hmmm ... maybe it's not too late....  ;D

Yes !! Pictures !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

PAFaller

This made me laugh! Despite working in Maine and NH for quite a few years I forget that the towns go out and hang those dang posted road signs and then truck traffic gets forced to run in the dark. Seems early to be posting roads already. Now that I am in PA our roads are posted all the time 24/7 365. If you are any type of commercial vehicle over 10 ten, and not a service company like the oil delivery guy etc you have to get an insurance bond from the township to run on that road. Then you have to ride with the road foreman, record any pothole, bump, soft shoulder etc before you start hauling, and if when you get done the road is in worse shape you have to pay for it. I work for a small mill that buys a lot of wood local so its an inconvenience but not too bad as they know all the road foremen well. However, some of the bigger mills have guys on staff that may spend most of a work week looking at roads and getting all the necessary permits. Special interest groups have gotten certain industries, like farming exempted. Frustrating to say the least. We cut 12 load of hemlock off a pig farm last winter. Every other day regardless of weather the feed truck rolled in to that barn, no permits necessary, but our log truck, hes liable if theres so much as a pebble left on the road.
It ain't easy...

thecfarm

PAFaller,that posting was put up Jan 15.  :o  I never seen it that early. We had a real warm spell and the town put them out. I just had to take a picture of it,so I would remember for years to come.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grassfed

Lets not whine about farmers. All of those dirt roads were made for farmers not for homeowners. Every year some moron with a five acre homestead whines about me hauling hay during mud season even though I try to go when the road is still frozen. Animals got to eat wood can wait. I use the same truck to haul my wood and I need to get permission from the road crew for that. Most of the ruts during mud-season come from people driving on the roads in cars and pickups; hauling themselves around when the road is soft. I am tired of people that want to live in the country but want to bitch about the farms they move near. 
Mike

rooster 58

Grassfed I hear you on people moving to the country. I used to live in a rural twp. that had more livestock than people. Gradually, the old farms are being converted to housing plans.
     These people move out there in their nice custom homes and then start crying forstreetlights, public water and sewer systems, more police, farming restrictions, and more. Fortunately, the old school is still in power and resists these demands.
      Now to me, if ya wanna move to the country, then ya better know whatkind of environment you're moving to. LEAVE us real country folk alone :snowball:

PAFaller

Im not whining about farmers, but I am calling BS on the fact that one industry in the state of PA is exempt from the same rules that many others are forced to follow. The townships here hold any heavy vehicle liable for a rate of 12000 dollars per mile of paved road and 6000 dollars per mile of dirt. So in this instance the mill had to get an insurance policy for just over 50k to go 4.3 miles down an old paved road. Tell me how then that we have to bond that road, but then the feed truck does not, a heavy truck is a heavy truck. And at that point, how can you hold a log truck liable for damages, if any were done to the road, and the feed truck is not. Or in your case if you believe cars and pickups are to blame, why are only loggers responsible for damages? My trucker hauled in the early morning, the feed truck showed up most days 10-11 am, when the sun was out and it was getting in to the high 30s-40 degrees, definitely not froze. In this instance the barn I am talking about it a high capacity slat barn, I think its 100x220 or something, housing hundreds of pigs. Built 10 years ago, not your family run dairy thats been around for 100+ years. And the feed truck is an 80,000lb gvw semi tractor, not a farm truck running up the road with a couple round bales on it.  I work with numerous farmers, pulled teats for awhile in college, buy auction animals from 4-hers and FFA members at the county fair, married an ag teacher and FFA adviser, so I have nothing against the agriculture industry. I just get frustrated with the double standard that seems to be present when these regulations get pushed through, and it makes it very hard for the small operation to cover these costs. I contract cut for a mill so they deal with these issues, but I have turned down jobs because I personally do not have the cash necessary to put up these high road bond costs. Im guessing a lot of members here would think twice about having to put up a $50k+ policy to a township without any certainty if they will or will not be held accountable for damages that they may or may not have caused.
It ain't easy...

Autocar

Here in Ohio farmers are exempt from C.D.L., health cards, high license plate fees. Just my two cents, whats good for the goose is good for the gander !
Bill

grassfed

1. In VT the farm exemption is for 60k and below gvw.
2. PAFaller in your case you are just there part time you are not paying property taxes to the town to help maintain the road you are not creating long term jobs in the town that further helps the residents pay property taxes for the road maintenance. You are essentially mining assets that took several years to grow and will take more years to replace so if you mess up the roads and leave, the cost is on the farmer and the rest of the towns people to repair the roads. They must bear these costs against less assets (trees).

3. Autocar the exemptions that you are talking about apply to me and other farmers in VT when we haul for our farm. In other words we are not professional FOR HIRE drivers "for hire" is the big difference and it is part of the same exemption that RV drivers get. Also in VT law there is a term "Implements of Husbandry" meaning  farm machinery used only for farm purposes tractors trucks and such. These do not need to be registered.

Without farmers you will not get much work as a logger in most states in the east. If you start adding adding burdens to farmers you are going to see the land sold off to wealthy second homers and they do not allow logging. Look at the logging industry in CT and Mass...

Personally I think that you guys need to stop attacking the people that help you the most. Not to mention the ones that FEED you.

Maybe Big ag is a problem but every time you try to regulate Big ag it winds up killing the small farmers and helping the big guys.

Mike

wheelinguy

This thread took a wrong turn somewhere.  It started off kinda funny, but now ???

Autocar

Thats the great thing about this United States Of America we all have our own opinions  ;).
Bill

coxy

woodhauler  we want to see the pic please  PRETTY PLEASE :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

snowstorm

Quote from: thecfarm on February 18, 2013, 10:19:06 PM
Pay back time is a coming.  :D

I suspect it kinda looked like this?

i went by there today. yup it looks just like the picture. didnt have time to stop and read it. so woodhauler. tell us what it says

PAFaller

He cant reply hes too busy driving with his headlights off, night vision goggles on evading the law  just like a moonshiner hahaha. Are the mills still open up there or is everyone on quota? The few friends Ive talked to in NH said the winter has been pretty good for working and the mills are plugging up. Guess guys are piling up what they can now, the markets always open back up come end of March or so when everything is real soupy.
It ain't easy...

CTL logger

Quote from: PAFaller on February 19, 2013, 08:07:59 PM
He cant reply hes too busy driving with his headlights off, night vision goggles on evading the law  just like a moonshiner hahaha. Are the mills still open up there or is everyone on quota? The few friends Ive talked to in NH said the winter has been pretty good for working and the mills are plugging up. Guess guys are piling up what they can now, the markets always open back up come end of March or so when everything is real soupy.

I've been there my last truck was all setup to do some "stealth" trucking only lights on were the headlights and 2 tail lights all marker lights and roof clearance lights on separate switch, from a distance looked like a smaller vehicle. There's a big farm up the road from me they have no problem running their 10000 gallon manure tanker on posted dirt roads all times of the year wonder what the gross weight of that would be?

Thank You Sponsors!