iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Material Handling Chain Options

Started by Rougespear, November 04, 2019, 09:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Most of the commercial firewood processors I see use what looks like 81X log chain for the live deck, infeed conveyor, and outfeed conveyor.  I can get #80 roller chain for about half the price, and it's working load is almost 4x higher.  The "log chain" has about 2x the pitch... all other dimensions look similar.  I am not up to speed on this.  Any thoughts on why I should use the specific "log chain" vs a standard roller chain? 

Thanks!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Gearbox

What I found out after using 80 roller was the 2 inch pitch takes a better pull on a 2 inch tooth sprocket so you get less chance of slippage on heavy loads . I lift 1/2 cord on a 45 degree angle on my live deck .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

luap

Gearbox is correct. Roller chain is intended to be adjusted to be at a certain tension much like a v belt. If too loose it will jump teeth with excess wear on sprockets or the slack chain will ride around the sprocket.  Longer pitch allows chain to be loose with lots of droop between sprockets and stay in place.

Rougespear

Thanks guys... makes sense.

Are there good sources for this chain and sprockets?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Thank You Sponsors!