iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about getting into trucking...

Started by Ever Green, August 19, 2007, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever Green

I am moving to SE Mass.  I was thinking about getting into log trucking.  Any body got any info for me.   I would need to get my class 1 and buy a shiny new truck...Any help pros and cons from the "pros" would be nice....Boy, I saw a nice truck at Booneville yesterday...think it was a 99 KW with pup trailer for $90,000.00....not that I have 90 laying around but thats what banks are for , right...might be easier to buy new do to financing and such....

Thanks,
Vince
Vince

sawguy21

There is a lot to running a successful business and trucking is not an easy one. You would do well to talk to those already in it, truckers LOVE to talk,  :D and look at getting hired as a driver after you get your CDL. You will then have a much better idea if you really want to sink everything into it. As with any business, a sound plan is really important. The banks will not give the time of day without it.
Good luck.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Wenrich

We do both logging and trucking.  My suggestion is to not limit yourself to one area of any industry.  You should try to remain as flexible as you can.

We have no pup trailers.  We have several log trailers and a couple of flatbeds.  We haul logs for some veneer buyers, and we haul our own logs, pulp, scragg, and lumber on the log trailers.  We deliver lumber and pick up logs from the woods.  In some instances, we haul logs for veneer buyers and backhaul either steel or lumber.  Depends where we're going.

The flatbed is used primarily for hauling concrete barriers.  We have a concrete plant next door, and we do deliveries when they need it.  They might even own the trailer.

We also have several self unloading trailers, but we keep them for our material.

If you're going to be hauling logs, I would get all the contacts I could before I bought a truck and trailer.  You might be better off with a tri-axle with a loader.  Do a little market research before you jump in.  Things that would worry me are:  log and lumber markets, insurance, and fuel prices. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Skip

I've be driving for over 30 yrs and if you have to get a class a or b that tells me you are new to driving. I CAN tell you that hauling logs is a VERY hard way to get your feet wet. We just had a guy around here who went out and bought a tractor and log trailer and got him a brand new class A cdl and rolled it over on his FIRST trip out .Skiny roads and big loads are a tough way to learn.

Ron Scott

I agree, log hauling is for the experienced. I've seem some taken in some unbelievable areas and situations. Nothing wrong with learning though, just always check the job, access, and turnaround  where you are taking the truck into first.

I've seen jobs where an "experienced" driver will take the truck in and out of the woods road and another driver getting "experience" will take it on from the hard surface road. 

As stated, be sure to do a business plan first to be sure that you have the clients to make payments, repairs, and fuel costs. I see more and more "used" wood haulers going up for sale here due to the poor market conditions.
~Ron

Furby

I'll back up the last four posts, it's a DanG big move!
As Skip said, if you are looking at getting a class A, this is a whole different world then you think it is!

thecfarm

Is there loggers that will hire you in that area?Most loggers have thier favorates and they trust them and that is it.It might be a hard market to get into.The guy that use to haul for me mostly only hauled for the small guys like me,a load a every week or two,but we all kept him busy.With the price of fuel now,I don't know.Lots of up keep with a truck.I don't know how much the every day nomal maintence cost would be,oil changes,brakes,tires,grease etc.I bet it would scare ya.Go buy a sawmill. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Around here, the owner/operators that I know are just buying a job, and having a lot of extra headaches to boot. None of them are running new trucks either, only the big logging companies can afford to run new trucks. There is just not a lot of money in it unless you really know how to work all the angles.  Don't want to discourage you, but it's a pretty tough industry to jump into.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

Your first sentence pretty much sums it up. Sure good to have them out there though, what would we do without them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

footer

The only people making good money in trucking are the brokers, and the people who do heavy haul and extream oversized loads. None of them, you can walk into with no experience. If you buy a new truck, you will most likely be working full time to make the truck payment. You will also need money in the bank to pay for reairs, and maintenance, which you will probably not be able to save enough to cover if you have a new truck payment.

Ever Green

hey guys thanks for the input...you know I was just trying to do something that would keep me involved in the logging end of things....I'm not afraid to say I'm a hard worker...maybe trucking isnt the first step for me...if I did it...it would be 150%...I really do appreciate the honest answers...I was hoping that you might say "hell, we need some guys who want to work and we can trust"...thats me, but yes, I'm green, sorry to say it...I have owned my own business for the last 3 years...and yes...good help...is very very very hard to find...kids/guys just dont want to work, or I'll re-phrase...work hard these days...seems all I ever hear is "how  much and for how long"...my dad put me to work and when he said we were done, we were done...hey, sorry to get emotional on you...

Thanks
Vince
Vince

Dave Shepard

If you can, get your CDL in NY if you can. The CDL school in MA is $4000. ;) Skipping the school and getting someone to sponsor you with their rig isn't easy.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jokers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 20, 2007, 11:02:12 PM
If you can, get your CDL in NY if you can. The CDL school in MA is $4000. ;) Skipping the school and getting someone to sponsor you with their rig isn't easy.

Dave
NTTS in Syracuse,NY quotes up to $8k for a CDL A depending on what endorsements you want and how long it takes you to become proficient. Fortunately NTTS also works closely with local companies needing drivers who will often foot the tuition bill in exchange for you signing a contract to drive for them for a certain period of time. A CDL B is cheaper but why limit yourself?

If your dream is to become a log truck driver perhaps you should get your CDL and drive for one of the bigger producers in your area for awhile. It will help you learn the market(and loggers) in that locale as well as let you learn to drive a truck in the bush...........at someone else`s expense.

Furby

DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT TO DRIVE FOR A COMPANY IN EXCHANGE FOR THEM FOOTING THE BILL!!!
You WILL be sorry!

snowman

A few years ago I came up from my strip in waste deep snow, soaking wet,  my beard iced up and sweating like a horse.The log truck driver getting loaded was drinking coffee standing by the landing mans fire and was dry as a bone.I decided that's it, I'm to old for this &$@#&.The next winter I had my CDL and a job driving log truck. I was in way over my head, I was definately not a good driver but I knew people dumb enough to hire me.I quickly learned driving trucks not the cakewalk you think. 15 hour days for starters. I knew this but figured "so what, heater in the winter, roof over your head, air conditioning in summer, how hard can it be?" Hears how hard,chaining up 3 times a day,up at 2am home at 7 pm,get to the shop early to fix yesterdays little problems, lights mostly, trucks have like 500 of them. Icy roads full of cars going either to fast or to slow, long lines at the sawmill, grouchy loader operators,and since as I said I wasn't a real truck driver, 3 runaways down iced up logging roads that coulda shoulda killed me.Anyway, the next summer I was back falling timber.FOR GOOD! :)

Corley5

Anytime I've thought about having a log truck I switch my thoughts to all the tires under one of them and the cost to replace them  ;D :)  I'll stay in the woods too  :) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

PawNature

I've been driving off and on for 15 to 20 years. I have owned my truck. Only way I would ever own a truck again is if I had it owned it outright and was semi retired, which are my plans. Over all I personally have made far more money driving for a company than as an owner operator. MY current employment is with a company out of NJ doing LTL, and pay averageis 60 to 70 per yr without killing myself. Of course I am not involved in the forrestry end in any way. With the excption of when I am home playing with my norrwood.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Burlkraft

Quote from: PawNature on August 26, 2007, 09:58:52 AM
  Only way I would ever own a truck again is if I had it owned it outright and was semi retired, which are my plans.

Semi Retired..... ??? ??? ???

Does that mean you'll be drivin' a straight truck then..... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

PawNature

Quote from: Burlkraft on August 26, 2007, 11:54:23 AM
Quote from: PawNature on August 26, 2007, 09:58:52 AM
  Only way I would ever own a truck again is if I had it owned it outright and was semi retired, which are my plans.

Semi Retired..... ??? ??? ???

Does that mean you'll be drivin' a straight truck then..... :D :D :D
Not a Straight, Tractor and pulling a tanker probably. There is a refinery close by and a lot of local work just doesn't pay the best.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Woodhog

Best thing to do is keep thinking about it until you forget about it...

It is a business that looks nice, big piece of machinery all shined up going down the road.

The harsh truth is it is one of the worst business ventures to get into. Low pay, high risk, high costs, long hours, try getting up at 0430 and working till about dark and after, 6 days a week for the truck 1 for yourself if you are lucky.

Drive all day, beat and pound on tires and other choice parts of the truck all night.

Buy new tires and tear out the sidewalls on woods roads.

Load in a hurry, unload at same spot to get pulled out of the mud.

Lay on your back in snowbanks and mud putting on chains..

Keep changing companies to haul for that really are no better than the last one.

At the end of your loan your truck will be a piece of junk, worth almost nothing, your wife and kids will not know you anymore and probably you will have less money than if you flipped burgers for 5 years..

Think many times before entering a trucking business, if you have to drive do it for someone else who is foolish enough to own the truck.

Mr Mom

Went to the county fair and they had a truck show and there was a bran new log truck and a pup trailer entered into the show. Not one pice of paint out of place.
Must be money in log truck driving in Ohio :) :) :).
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

PineNut

Looks to me like money in selling log trucks, not driving them.

Furby

Selling them to folks that don't know better....... yup!

Thank You Sponsors!