iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thinning Tom's

Started by Tom, December 08, 2008, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

No, this hasn't to do with my losing weight.  Maybe it should, but I haven't learned how to do that yet.

Today, the loggers moved onto my place and are thinning the patch of plantation pine west of the barn.  It's about 7 acres and they have taken out 1/8 acre, or less, for a landing on one corner and three short rows of trees. to make one load of pulpwood.

I'm amazed that there is as much wood in those little trees as there is.  They looked a lot smaller on the stump than they do on the trailer.

it sure makes me feel good to see something I planted loaded for the mill.  It's not everyday that you get to do that.  I probalby won't see the rest of these mature but I have some in the back that I can take out if I begin to feel mortal.

Perhaps tomorrow I can take a couple of pictures.

SwampDonkey

Keep us abreast Tom. We all like to see Tom's little piece of earth to. ;D Some of them pine down there grow tall I here. ;)

Even up here a 10 year old fir thinning, I mean it was thinned 10 years previous to  today, can yield a lot of wood/acre, but it's a lot of processing if done manually. Even my ground since harvest in 1994 has fir reaching 6 inches, some 10. They max out at 18" when done growing. Most of the fir would be around 2" - 4" breast height. A softwood tree up here really needs 25 years to reach a size that it begins to build wood at a significant pace annually.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dsgsr

"thinning Tom's" And I thought we were going turkey huntin :D   We gotta bunch of'em around here and can't shoot'em. We're in WMD (Wild Life Management District) # 27 NO HUNTING. We get to breed them and the state Biologist comes and traps them, takes them to his area and hunts them :-\     OK, how do I upload a picture?

David

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

SwampDonkey

Photo posting is covered in "Behind the Forum" sub board.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Tom,

Logging is exciting.  Seeing the trees that remain respond and grow into sawtimber is satisfying. 

If yore camera ain't broke, haul yoreself over there and get us some pictures :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Tom, tell us the particulars of the thinning. Are you removing certain rows or to a certain spacing or thinning to some specified basal area?

I am about to start a red pine thinning where the DNR has not marked trees, but just said "cut and remove 1/2 of the pine trees within the stand. Take one row and leave one row. Leave all outside rows." This is the second thinning.

On another similiar job, the DNR has just said "harvest pine species down to a basal area of 100 square feet per acre."

I guess the DNR has gotten tired of marking trees on pine stands.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

On our Company thinnings, we allow the fellerbuncher operator to select what is cut and what is left.  They become very skilled at choosing the right trees. 

I, too, am selling a first thinning that will be harvested in 2009.  I thin heavier than most on my own property.  I plan to leave 150 trees/acre.  That is about 50 to 55 square feet of basal acre.  This level really stimulates diameter growth and jump starts sawtimber production.  It is much better to grow lumber than pulpwood, about a 4:1 value lift.

Here is a pic of a stand that has 7 years of growth since the first thinning was done.  The residual stocking after first thinning was 50 square feet of basal area.  It is time to do another prescribed burn this winter.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

WDH,

I can picture about 100 cub scout tents set up in there. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

MS,

It would be nice and clean for them under the canopy.  The redbugs might be bad though.  The way to tell a young inexperienced forester in the South is to watch him or her sit down on the pine straw in the woods.  The next day, they will be scratching :D.

The picture was taken in January 2007.  I will take a pic today to show what it looks like now.

I look forward to seeing Tom's pics :).

Let me say that the 50 square feet of basal area can only be used with Loblolly pine.  That is too low for most species and definitely for hardwood. 

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Gary_C on December 09, 2008, 01:35:54 AM
I am about to start a red pine thinning where the DNR has not marked trees, but just said "cut and remove 1/2 of the pine trees within the stand. Take one row and leave one row. Leave all outside rows." This is the second thinning.

That just doesn't seem like the best way to go about a thinning.  If you remove every other row, you're removing half of your best trees.  Best to leave them there and let them grow.  Take the ugliest trees first when you thin!  I don't know, maybe the DNR has some wildlife objective in mind with those directions, but I doubt it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

The end rows stay and every third row is removed.  The remaining I have asked 10-12 foot spacings.  the original planting was done 4-6 foot  spacings in 12 foot rows.

This land has been hard on trees, although pine is about all that can be grown.  I suspect that it is full of nematodes because most crops fail after the first year or two.  The natural flora is wire grass, longleaf, loblolly and slash.  The governments curtailment of fire has limited the raising of longleaf, though it's beginning to come back some now.  Most plantations are loblolly. I chose slash because I favor that tree for sawlogs, over loblolly.  It is slower growing, which extends the rotation, but it produces a finer grained lumber than loblolly.  It would have been nice to have had longleaf, but containers were the only way to get them in the ground, other than natural seeding, and the forester recommended against it.

The ground has a minimum of topsoil, probably in the 1/2 sto 1 inch range, as an average.  Then there is about 18 inches of a sandy clay that holds nutrients as if they were felons.  It is highly acidic from the millenia of pines and grasses.  Barren surfaces and plowed ground allow the clay to wash out and the sand to blow away.

Below that sandy clay layer is Blue Gumbo clay.  With the acception of small pockets of drift sand, it is a solid layer that goes down as far as I've been able to dig and maybe all the way to hell.  A layer of rock lays at 90 feet and most of the good water wells around here are rock wells that draw their water from this layer.  Below that, somewhere, is the Floridan Aquafier and probably limestone, I don't know.

It' pine tree country.  The swamps are full of hardwood like water oak, live oak, swamp chestnut oak, Loblolly bay, black gum, holly and a ground covering of saw palmetto.  There are scattered pines that will come up in there, but they are mostly loblolly and slow to grow. The ground is not stable enough to take much abuse from equipment, so I chose to leave it naturally seeded.  There is an area next to the creek where an effort was made, many years ago, to plant loblolly.  The trees are small, poor and abused by rust scars.  If I thought I could replace them, I would, but without fire and the availability of a chainsaw crew, it would just make a mess.  I imagine that I'll take those trees out when I clear cut the hill and just let it reseed natutrally.  Perhaps people will come to their senses and allow us to begin burning again by then.

I hear that the saw on the feller/buncher has quit. I guess I'll mosey on out there and see what's going on.

Gary_C

Dodgy, that small tract is an unusual situation. It is under the responsibility of the Scientific and Natural division of the MN DNR. It is a side hill that is about one third red pine plantation and the rest is prairie grass. The S & N people are not allowed to do forestry work so they came to the forestry people and asked to have the entire stand clearcut and sold for pulp. The foresters told them that softwood pulp prices were very low right now so the S & N group then wanted it cut and burned. The foresters refused to do that and hired some logger to thin the stand and he did some hand felling and trimming and said it was too much work and gave the job back. He still paid for the whole job, but it was probably only a few dollars per cord.

I picked the sale up for $3.50 per cord for 105 cords and planned to cut it last winter when I had an equipment problem with my harvester and now plan to cut it within a month. One of the restrictions the S & N have put on the job is dry, frozen ground only. I think that is just to be obstinate as it is light sandy soil.

The DNR foresters are more and more leaving it to operator selection as I think they are tired of painting trees and having loggers complain they do not know how to mark trees.  ;D
When I cut something like this where it has been thinned once, I will take worst first and then try for some type of tree spacing as best I can. Though it may not be the best for me, I always treat state owned land and private land as well as if it belonged to me. The state land actually does.  ;D

tonich

Quote from: WDH on December 09, 2008, 08:25:44 AM
I look forward to seeing Tom's pics :).

So do I!
Pictures speak louder than descriptions.  :)

Tom

Picking up some sticks (pickup sticks) :D

straightening them up. 
The row that was thinned can be seen (in absence) on the other side of the end of the logs being picked up.

Putting them on the trailer

Tom

Lining up a twitch

taking the twitch to the loader

The average size of stump being left

Tom

Shane, the owner of the "one crew"  logging company

eating lunch

The feller/buncher blew a fuse.
Howard Noble fixes it.

Tom

Howard Noble, the Feller Buncher operator and
his machine.  The machine that does all the thoughtful
work.  You can't see the teeth on the saw because it is running.

LeeB

Did you feed them peas Tom or did the bring their own lunch?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

I offered them a cup of coffee,but they didn't want it.   I'm fresh out of peas :-\
One did ask if I had a high blood pressure pill he could take.  ???

SwampDonkey

I couldn't drink coffee either working in the woods. Some can, but I get too dry. I could take a barrel of water though.  :D

Gary_C

Nice pictures. How do they delimb? Or are all the limbs gone by the time they get to the landing.

tonich

Nice pictures, Tom!
Thanks!  :)

Tom

The trunks are relatively free of limbs already, Gary.  Most of the limbs of the top are fragile and come off in the skidding.  They have a delimbing gate for those that are stubborn but seldom have to use it.

Thanks Tonich.  I wish I could figure out how to show the thinned rows, but quarters are too tight for the camera to show what is happening.  Maybe after the equipment leaves, I can find an angle that will better show what they did.

SwampDonkey

Tom it's almost impossible to show thinning with a camera unless your up in the air looking down. And that might me quite a feat. :D They bring any sky cranes along? You could stand on the hook with the camera. :D :D

Ron Scott

Tom,
Is any chipping being done? How is the slash and top debris being handled?
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!