iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is awsome !!!! This is exactly what I need !!!!

Started by RunningRoot, October 25, 2014, 02:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

mesquite buckeye

That will get you there in the muck.  ;D Track maintenance must be a killer though. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Swatson

Looks like that would be good for light work ;D.  Would take a Semi to transport that thing.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sawguy21

You get that stuck you will really have a problem. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

Nice !!!

Can I add wider tracks and a feller-buncher of some kind on the front ???  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

How much extra horsepower does that take to move? I looked into some track add on's like that, 10k per axle  :o .
Ed K

sawguy21

Quote from: sprucebunny on October 25, 2014, 06:38:43 PM
Nice !!!

Can I add wider tracks and a feller-buncher of some kind on the front ???  ;D
:D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BargeMonkey

They look like a D4 undercarriage, I bet 25k wouldnt put new Cat factory tracks on that.  :D  there is a valmet processor for sale on the west coast with tracks on all 4's, they claim it will work a 70 degree slope, yeah good luck on getting me in the cab.

RunningRoot

I would fall out if I could find this for 30K but I know it would take that much for a complete UC rebuild  :o
A man can dream tho right ?? lol.
One day ....One day ...

BargeMonkey

I imagine the ride would knock the teeth out of your head going over a few big stumps.  :D

RunningRoot

I'm sure it would  ;D But I also imagine it would pull a goat up the hill when it needed assistance  :)
It would do better than a dozer as it would keep power to all 4 tracks while turning on a hill... a dozer looses up to 50% of its power/bite while turning going up a slope...

Boysss.....  I have seriously fallen inlove.. It's definitely love at first site...

timberlinetree

That is really cool! Would brush/small logs get jamed in the tracks? I once heard that on some big bulldozer because of the price of the undercarriage it coast a buck for every revolution the tracks make? Just what I heard ???
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

loggah

I think that thing would eat planetaries, some here think just plain chains on tires wipe them out,imagine how much traction those tracks would bite! ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

M Cook

In the late 80's I was looking at buying a similar setup, they were called super tracks that would bolt on where the wheel went.   They were used mainly for low ground, at the time they were $30k, I think the reason they didn't become popular was because of the price.

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

deastman

As rough as that would ride over stumps and rocks I think it would be a lot slower getting around than if it had tires, no give in that steel undercarriage. Looks like it would be quite a mountain climber though.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

BargeMonkey

I bet you get in a wet enough spot it would sink out of sight.  :D  an 8 wheel forwarder would walk circles around it with half the ground disturbance. Thats for sale somewhere in Europe right ?

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Maine logger88

That's a pretty cool looking machine! How steep is a 60% slope I never really got that percent versus degree thing. Well I get the degree part lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

teakwood

100% is 45degrees. its one unit lenght to one unit height so its 100%. so i think they get it wrong with 60% ( they mean 60degrees, what is quite steep) example: 10' lenght to 6' height= so its 60%, 10' lenght to 1' height= so its 10%.  so 60% is just 27 degrees! I hope i did it right.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Southside

There is a company that makes a conversion setup like that right now, they have a video out there of some on a buncher if I recall correctly, it running through all swamp.  I e-mailed them and asked for a quote for both axles on my Franklin 170 as I had some light footprint work to potentially do - their answer was about $70K per axle.  Yikes!!!  I have not placed the order yet. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

Makes sense too me ya 27 degrees isn't all that steep. 60 degree on the other hand is very steep I have cut some around 45 too 50 degree which is plenty lol

BargeMonkey

I went and looked at another local loggers Timbco before I bought mine, he was stringing up the zip-line with it at Hunter Mt. That was over 60 degrees, you wouldnt wanna walk up it. He would claw his way to the top, then grab the biggest tree he could find and hold onto it and slide down backwards, on the ski slopes with the steepest vertical in the northeast.  ;)  watching that is what sold me on a Timbco.

Maine logger88

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 26, 2014, 08:48:16 PM
That's crazy he is way more brave than me
Theres about 6-7 Timbcos working around here so you always hear the storys of who's B@ll's are bigger. Nadeu has a 425C with a 240 fabtek head, doing clearing work over on Windham Mt, was so steep he was well past his limit, roasted the #1 piston in an 8.3  cummins because it couldnt pump oil on that slope that far forward. I was talking to the mechanic the day it sat in the shop, drove it out with a block of wood and a sledge. Another "logger" with more money than brains destroyed a brand new 425 Komatsu a few years ago being a hero, then they went to pick it up, got it 3/4 way up and dropped it again. It still sat at CJ's for parts 2yrs ago, I dont think it had 500hrs on it.

Maine logger88

The 425c must not have been leveling? It would be cool too watch them work that ground tho!

ga jones

That seems odd to not be able to pump oil to the cylinder. I've watched the pipe liners use a d8 dozer.sit on top the mountain and cable an excavator down it to dig the trench. As close to straight up as I've ever seen.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

redprospector

The limitations on most of our machines would be the operator, other than that it's the oil pick up. The operators manual for just about any forestry machine will tell you what % or degree of slope your machine will handle before you will destroy the engine. Off the top of my head, my Fecon FTX-90 will handle a 58% grade, my old Vermeer 1250 chipper will take up to 27 degree slope before it craters I believe (which is not far from 58%).
Back when we had mechanical gauges you could watch the oil pressure and tell when to change your plan, I don't have an electronic (computerized) gauge that I trust to respond quick enough to be comfortable with.
I've often thought of trying to set up an engine with dual oil pumps to eliminate the oil pickup problem, but I get in enough jams at the capabilities they have now. Probably don't need to add to my problems.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!