iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12" boards from 6" Peterson

Started by ButchC, February 27, 2017, 08:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

More sawing from the sawmill rookie, dont be afraid to critique.
I had need for 12" wide x  1" thick limber to rebuild our 2nd floor staircase.  I selected an Ash log that came from the woods as they seem to have much less built up stress as compared to fence row trees. Double cutting looks quite daunting when reading the manual but actually isn't too bad. A person needs to keep his head about him because operating habits gained from single cutting are hard to break. I differed from the manual a bit as this works easier for me when working by myself. Boards are 12" x 1 1/4"

First cuts are same as single cutting. Left side waste removed

Then swing the blade to vertical and shut down the engine for safety. Measure from left cut to blade to set board width. Here the cut has already been made at 12"

Right side waste removed. Had there been enough wood left to make a narrow board there would have been additional vertical cuts.

Full 6" cut on right side. This is where I differ from Peterson's instruction, just worked easier for me.

Now back to left side. First left side cut was 5" leaving  about 1" of wood to hold the board up off the blade. I then wedged the board to hold it up off the blade and cut the last  inch.

And a 12" board. Wide boards are a little bit intensive on the swingmill as compared to a band mill but the staircase lumber is stacked, sticked and drying, about a year from now we will take it to the wood shop and build mom a staircase.

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Percy

Nice....dont look like a rookie to me ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Darrel

Don't look like one to me either.  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

drobertson

Happy for you! Looks like you got it going
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like double cutting to me. Good job. How much of a little ridge down the center?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ButchC

Less than 1/8" Id guess?  For the first try I didn't bother with shimming the lead for double cutting as per the instructions. Actually I have yet to fine tune the saw at all and running it as received. Still learning how to run it, then I will tweak it. 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

dgdrls

Well done ButchC,

The double cut feature is sure handy on the Peterson,

D

tjhammer

butch does a Peterson saw have an adjustment to adjust the inside plane for the double cut it will eliminate the line in the middle of the board I just got thru cutting some 16in head boards for county dump trucks out of oak its a job for one man doing the cutting
tj
hammer

enewick

You can adjust the "lean-in" of the blade to remove the step, which is obviously exaggerated when double cutting, but a quick trick is to put a bottle cap on the lean-in adjustment screw, and it should be enough to get rid of it.

ButchC

Yup, the manual suggests shimming the stop. We will take the time to figure that out next time we have double cutting to preform. As it was the additional  waste from the small ridge will be minimal to none depending on which way tbe boards warp when drying.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

Thank You Sponsors!