iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First White Oak Cut!!

Started by Jeff_Green, October 23, 2001, 06:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_Green

8)

Yes, I finally bought my first truckload of red and white oak logs yesterday and cut a 12 foot - 14"dia white oak log up....... I had heard that I would like the experience but really did not expect it to be as good as it was ..... I just kept stacking and re-stacking the boards and running my hand over the 9x9 cant which I left uncut. ..... There is something almost magic about this sawmilling!! ... Jeff Green

L. Wakefield

You make me remember...I had seen hardrock maple before, but when I came up to Maine, I had never before done anything in the way of splitting wood (OK, so I'm a bit behind the rest of yez- you knew that..)

And I got hold of a piece of maple and split it...

I just went NUTS (well, more nuts).. I had done a fair bit of handspinning in WV and had never seen anything more beautiful than the tussah silk fiber I had bought to try spinning- beautiful to eye and hand- until I looked at that maple.

It was probably what you call curly maple, and the split had brought out the incredible silklike sheen and- yes- feel- of the wood. I'd had no idea wood could look like that or feel like that. Like water to the eye and the hand- sleek, shiny, flowing..

My husband thought I was nuts-o when I started going off about that maple.

YMMV if you run into splinters- probably won't have this lyrical effect :D :D :D      lw

L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

Jeff,

I can safely estimate that I have cut between 3 to 5 million feet of lumber a year for the last 20 years. So, after some lengthy calculations that's somewhere between 60 and 100 million board feet.  I would then think I could safely estimate that those logs averaged between 60 to 100 board feet a piece.

So I probably have cut 1 million logs.

I still always take notice and admire the beauty of a tree and the things they give us.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!