iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Danged good Ham Sandwich

Started by Tom, September 11, 2009, 03:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

We went to the Piggly Wiggly and purchased a beautiful portion of Left Ham /water product.  Not being the type to leave well enough alone, although the instructions indicated it was precooked (warm at 325° for 15 minutes a pound), we decided that it needed some tender care.  Besides, the instructions for warming sounded a lot like cooking the dang thing anyway.

We removed ourselves to the confines of the shop, and the Dodge wheel, building an oak fire in the grill and babysitting that left ham untill it was thoroughly smoked.  Then it was well wrapped in Tin Foil and placed back on the grill until we felt it had been "cooked" to our satisfaction.

When unwrapped, back in the kitchen after cooling the second day, we found that the juices had turned to a dark gelatinous material that we diagnosed as seasoning, so we put some in a frying pan and fried the slices of ham in it.

You can see by the depiction of the slices in the skillet that we were well onto a good feed.  The ham began to redden in the skillet and caramalize on the outside, as the gelatinous seasoning adhered itself to the surface.

Then, realizing that ham goes real good with eggs, DanG fried a couple of American eggs.  One from the container of a Green shell and the other from a red one.   Something, though, needed to be added to adhere all of this stuff together, so that was accomplished with a few slices of cheddar cheese from a wedge, taken from a red-wax sealed wheel that was discovered at the Piggly Wiggly at the same time as we acquired the Left Ham.

You can't eat something like that without getting your fingers all messed up, so a serving each was encapsulated in its own two pieces of bread and returned to the skillet for toasting.  To make sure that the toast reached that rich color that turns on the taste buds, we brushed a bit of the pan drippings from the thick-sliced Hickory Smoked bacon on it.  That bacon came from the Salt Lick Meat Company as we passed through Georgia, returning from Custom Sawyers house.  We already knew it was good because we had eaten some of it for breakfast.

Now you can see that this Ham provided more than just this one snack.  We ate off of it for four meals and still had some left.  It had been amended earlier with boiled, fresh green beans and those little red "new" potatoes.  We found that a dollop of butter on the potatoes when freshly broken open made them quite acceptable.

DanG did all of the carving and spatula pushing, but I held up my end, making suggestions and approving of his culinary actions.  Never underestimate the worth of an appreciative Judge of food as the works of the chef would go by unknown without one.

So, there you have it.  We watched "More" news with Joe Moore on the TV and spent a lot of time trying to decide why anyone would wish for more than that with which we had presented ourselves.

fishpharmer

Thanks to you and DanG for sharing that with us.  Looked mighty tasty.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DanG

I'll have to confess that that was a fit to eat ham sammich! ;D  I just might have another one just like it for supper tonight.

BTW Tom, I took my Mom to Publix today and found some of that Budweiser Wing Sauce there.  I bought 2 bottles of it, so that ensures that Mr. Roy will have some of it at the Piggly Wiggly too. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

Sure looks good  8)

I swear that hams are way better in the south. There are different types of ham to choose from and the quality is better. Up here it's a "meat and water product" and not half as fun or interesting.

Thanks for the write up.  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

So that's where Dang is hanging his hat at now? Needs to get his strength back, so he's at the right place.  Look at'm slice that ham.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The picture of that sandwich should be framed!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Dang,
Does your Dr know you are eating grilled ham, cheese and egg sammy's? ??? ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Hey, I just noticed something, DanG is not wearing his hat, you can see the top (shiny part) of his head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Roxie

Removing his hat was a sign of reverence for the meat he's slicing.   :)
Say when

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Roxie on September 14, 2009, 10:28:58 AM
Removing his hat was a sign of reverence for the meat he's slicing.   :)

And his host. ;D

My grandmother would remove a man's hat before he sat at her table (with a few words), if he didn't before hand. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WildDog

Sure looks like a good feed guys, I'm fairly partial to the double smoked ham we get from our local butcher and fried in a pan with eggs for a toasted sandwich, less fat than bacon also.....A couple of questions if you don't mind from from someone downunder, whats left ham/water? and green or red American eggs? sounds like something from Doctor Zeus.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Tom

Auracana chickens will lay colored eggs, usually blue or green.  There is an Auracana called Ameraucana, so my fat lips called them American eggs. ;D

Now, about the ham/water product.   These commerciall packaged hams have so much water injected into them that the Government requires that they be labeled a Ham/Water product.  You can still cook the water out of them, but it makes the ham weigh more at the cash register.  >:(

Next, the story of the left ham

Magicman

You both did good.  Did that left ham have a bone?  Hambones make the best soupbones when soup makin' time comes..... ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

Gee, Tom, I have never been in that town. But, I have sure walked down that street, pretty sure it was the same barber too.
Bill

ellmoe

Great story Tom. It reminds me of my Grandpa in Macclenny. They were simple times back then.
    Do you remember the small notepads, one for each family, where the credit accounts were recorded? We always went to the store were he "traded". In truth, he had often done that. One standard trade at the Western Auto Store was a quail for a shotgun shell.....Simple times.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

DanG

I'm pleased to report that the left ham did indeed have a bone, and that bone did indeed do a credible job of seasoning a fine set of Kidney Beans.  Said Kidney Beans were laid upon a bed of rice, not more than a few hours ago, and are in position to make beautiful music at most any time. ;D

Very, very few of you know the joy of cooking for Tom.  I consider myself to be among the most fortunate of individuals, because this "World-Class" appetite comes a'calling at my table, from time to time.  It is when he is here that my culinary instincts take over and cause me to make him shout.  I can assure you that there is no greater pleasure in this World than to have Tom Cadenhead exclaim loudly over one of your epicurian challenges.  "OH MY GOD THAT'S GOOD!" he will say, and repeat himself over and over!  You know that this is a man who has eaten some DanG good food in his day, and it just makes it seem all the more important to come up with something new and triumphant.  I find that it isn't as much of a challenge as one might think.  Now them ham sammies was pretty DanG fine, but they didn't get near as much press as the green beans and new potatoes on the night before!  I'm tellin' ya, this was about the simplest, no-brainer thing a cook could possibly do, but ol' Tom about went berserk over it!  I bought a handful of green beans and a little sack of red taters at the P. Wiggly.  Basically, I dumped the whole business in a pot of boiling water, along with a couple of chunks of that ham.  There weren't no more to it than that!  It was good! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

A little ham fat makes cardboard taste good. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

Do you guys bake the ham bone before making soup with it? I never did until a cook friend told me to try it. Really brings out the flavor from the marrow.
1/2 hour or so at 350 usually does the trick.

Tom

Didn't bake it in the oven, but it spent a tolerable amount of time, on burning wood, closed up in the grill, part of the time open and part of the time wrapped tightly in tin foil(hours).  I don't 'spect that bone got put in the oven.  :D

Magicman

Ye just can't mess up a good hambone..... digin1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

You don't have to cook them because they are fully cooked but you can if you like it hot. :)
I usually bone it out making as many solid pieces without gristle, fat and skin.  Then slice them down for Ham Sandwiches and ham to put over eggs for EggOMuffins.
The rest of the bone, fat, trimmings either gets cooked with green beans or a boiled dinner.
Somebody told me to try it with Broccoli so I got Brocolli in da Fridge. ;D
You can make a lot of meals for twelve dollars.  We got them on sale the next couple weeks.
I was going to post a video of Boning out a Ham a few months ago but didn't have anyone to hold the camera. ;D

Raider Bill

After you get all the meat off the bone try baking the bone a tad before you throw it in the soup.  Adds a nice flavor. ;D

Slabs

That dark gelatinous material that you were talking about is a fantastic substitute for red-eye-gravy.  I got a jar of it in the frige now.  Smear a little on cat head biscuits and slather with some cane syrup and have a breakfast of a real working man.

My last smoked ham had to be done on the top of the stove because the oven didn't work.  A colander in the bottom of the big turkey baking pan and a little water to start the steaming process yielded a right good ham for many meals not to mention the red-eye and cat heads with syrup.

Y'all got me slobberin like a blind dawg in a meat house.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

WDH
Forester

My Photos: Go to my Photo Gallery

Now how 'bout dat? ;D 8) 8)

WDH

Why thank you kind sir! 

I did not realize that milestone had been reached  ;D.  If I wasn't so wordy, then I would not have so many posts, and I would have had not nearly as good a time, though.

DanG

Quote from: WDH on September 18, 2009, 09:37:52 PM
and I would have had not nearly as good a time, though.

Nor would we, my Friend, nor would we. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!