iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Husky for homeowner use

Started by KarlP, September 07, 2003, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarlP

I've used an old 13" McCulloch and a pair of 16" electric chainsaws till now.  I've cut more wood with them than most people seem to think is possible. ;D  I'm looking to upgrade to a midsized high-end-consumer/low-end-professional saw that will last me a long time.  

I primarily cut down trees in my yard and the yards of friends and family.  Most of the trees are soft maple/hard maple/red oak/rotten cherry/rotten apple in the 8-15" (not including the fatter bottom ~4' of the tree) range.  Every few years I get a tree in the 16-24" range.  I generally only use a chainsaw 10-20 days a year and make 2-8 cords of firewood.

I'm looking at the Husqvarna 55 Rancher ($300), 353($330), and 346XP ($380) with 20" bars.  I plan on getting a second 16" bar for every day usage and only using the 20" bar for bigger jobs.  Right now I'm leaning towards the 353.  

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about these saws?  What alternatives should I be considering in this size/quality/price range?  Would a saw of this size work okay with a rip chain if I wanted to cut a few beams with it in the future?

Typhoon

I currently own the Husky 350. I have worked it HARD since I bought it a few weeks ago. I have owned several chainsaws, and nothing touches this saw. I have owned homelites (the upper line ones), poulans, etc. I cannot say enough about this saw. ALWAYS starts easily, tons of power, just a very reliable and durable saw. And I can only imagine the 353 would be even better. They are phasing out the Rancher but I have heard that they are awesome saws as well. I think the 353 would be a great choice.  Good luck!!
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Jeff

I gotta reccomend the one I use. 55 rancher. I would truly say that I am the homeowner user, plus just a little. I bought my saw used and really like it. New its in the 300 price range I believe
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Karl;
What size beams are you considering?
What type of wood?

KarlP

Mostly daydreaming at this point.  :D

I was thinking about cutting a few 14-16" diameter eastern white pine and/or soft maple into slabs ~10' long and 4-6" thick. If a midsized saw (what I'm looking at or maybe a *little* bigger) can do this without excessive stress on the saw, I might give it a try.

Kevin

That's a little on the hefty side, the minimum should be 65-70cc.
Yes it will work but it will really work your saw.

Oregon_Rob

Karl,
I would suggest that you consider a little bigger, possibly used saw. I picked up a used 372xp about a year and a half ago for $250 and been really happy with it. I have only had to due normal maintenance on it and it still running very strong. I do  some light milling with it and I eventually got a bigger saw for milling, but the 372 is what I use for all the fire wood and big brush removal. One of the things you get by going to a pro series saw is a better power to weight ratio. It's more saw than most homeowners need, but I like having a bigger hammer.
Chainsaw Nerd

Ron Scott

All are excellent saws. I have the 351 now replaced by the 353 with some emission changes.
~Ron

David_c

karl i have the 350 & 372 both are excellant saws you might also want to look at the 357xp.

KarlP

Thanks for all the advice!  

I just ended up ordering a 353 with a solid 20" bar with replaceable sprocket tip & chisel chain, a case, an extra 20" chisel chain, a 16" laminated bar with nose wheel, two 16" semi-chisel chains, and a bar dresser.
...$497.45! Gulp!

I considered the 372XP and decided I wanted a lighter weight saw for my normal usage.  After a little research I also decided I'd probably want an even more powerful saw than the 372 for ripping.  I'll look into renting a bigger saw or someone with a woodmizer when/if the time comes.

This forum seems full of information, so I'll definately be hanging around here for a while.  I've never heard of dressing a chainsaw bar anywhere but this forum.  It certainly makes sense and I'm *sure* my electric saw could use it.

woodchip

Try the 55Rancher,you wont be disapointed.

Steve

I've had a Rancher 55 for 20 years now, since my 6' 6" tall son was a baby! I have tried to call it dead several times but it will not quit. I don't know how it has kept on running after all the grief Ihave given it all these years.

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

KarlP

I finally got a chance to try out my new 353.  Woo Hoo!  8)

It took four whole pulls to get it started the first time out of the box, and two pulls each time after that.  (As opposed to the little McCulloch which is 6-8 when the engine is cold, and 30+ pulls once it gets hot.)

With the 16" bar, the "3.3HP" Husky cuts about 4x faster than my "5HP" Wagner (Wen) electric saw with 16" bar.

beenthere

With my Stihl 041, I would be real disappointed if it ever did not start on the first pull on idle after it is warmed up. It is consistent when cold to start on the 4th pull however. It is 28 years old this past Spring. If it ever hicups, I will buy a new Stihl. But it just keeps going and going and going.  

I thought it died once. But it was out of gas instead. Cursed it big time, but felt pretty stupid when I found out the cause.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slowzuki

Unless that 5 hp Wagner is powered by a 220V circuit I'd bet they are lying on the 5hp!  At 120V it would be pulling better than 30 amps!  I'd bet it is near 1500 W which is about 2 hp.

Ken

Reptile

I noticed you got your saw but for makeing your beams you might want to consider an echo saw for the purpose they dropped there prices to get there saws into the pros hands. I was a t a shop today and they had the echo 670 for 439 bucks!!!. I thought  ti might be a recon but it wasn't it was brand new then he told me echos plan. Thats a 66.7 cc engine with a 24 inch bar and opt 16,20, and 27 inch bars. It might be something to check into for your light to med ripping needs.

KarlP

It turns out I lied.  The Wagner saw is "4.0HP".  And the quotes are to signify that those are either Sears or Harbor Freight HP and not SAE HP. ;-)

Still love the 353.  I've cut about 4 cords of wood with it and I think its a great saw for what I need.

I'll have to check out the Echo saws.  I'm still looking around for a cheap milling saw and avoiding ebay in doing it.  

In early October I tried to order a refurbished Solo 694 (aka Dolmar/Makita 9010) with a 1 year warrantee a new 28" bar and chain for $499 from http://www.allwebdiscounts.com/order_solo.php3, but found out they were all sold out from Hurricane Isabell.  They said they would be getting more in early November.  I just called and found out that they had and have no plans to get more refurbished big saws.  They have a "special deal" for a new powerhead only for $699 with free shipping.  They bait and switched me.  For comparison purposes I can get a new Husqvarna 385XP, which has 1/2HP less power but much better dealer support, with 32" bar and chain for $712 with free shipping.  

Kevin

You can try Mike Rupley, he rebuilds big milling saws.
mrupley@cal.net

firtol88

There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Hunter

I think you will find the 353 will last pretty good. I had one and ran it alot. its not a power monster but if used in wood 16" and under, it ran great.
HUnter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Thank You Sponsors!